PDA

View Full Version : My APR Tuned A6 3.0T W/ Exhaust Review

Ynnekdude
04-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Well I have been nagging APR about the A6 3.0T since the day I picked up my A6 roughly 2 years ago. Keith and Arin have been nothing but helpful. Originally, I had the tune scheduled to be done at GRD (Genesis Racing and Development) in Villa Park, IL. They were very professional, polite, and knew their stuff. Unfortunately, after 3 days of waiting, it turned out my ECU could not be flashed without APR having my car as well. Bummed out, I began talking with Arin.

After exchanging some PMs, I asked if I could ship my car to APR. Arin said "Get it here and it's free." [eek] I started searching companies and getting shipping quotes. Either way, I was going to be saving money because nothing was going to cost over $1400. Then, Arin notified me that their engineers had recently figured out a way to extract code from my ECU but there was the risk that my ECU would be completely erased in the process and that I would have to get a new one. I figured I trust APR more than I trust a shipping company.

I contacted Reid Vann in St. Louis (I'm in Missouri until May) and scheduled an appointment to have my ECU pulled and shipped to APR. I then asked Arin if the deal still stood for the free flash...

It did. [drool]

So I would like to first say, THANK YOU APR. The way you treat your customers is nothing short of impressive. This goes to show how serious they take their clients. Second, Reid Vann was great. Brian knows his stuff and is very personable. I would highly suggest his shop. They have some beautiful and extremely rare cars there. Third, GRD was wonderful as well. Irfan helped me out and definitely knew his stuff too. I plan on having them do my coilovers and sways this summer.

Now to the 93 octane tune:

The drive back from St. Louis was... just get the chip and you will know what I mean. I was making myself laugh. My roommate who drove me to St. Louis had to call me to say he could not keep up. Apparently following me was not going to work. The smoothness of the 3.0T is deceptive. Get an APR flash and that power is very deceptive. Pulls were smooth but quite fast. Passing semi-trucks was done in a blink of the eye. The tune just makes the car five times more fun to drive. At one point, I had to merge into 70mph traffic from 30mph rush hour traffic. I hit the throttle and [>_<]... I got the giggles again. That's right, giggles.

Along with the power, throttle response is improved. I no longer feel a lag from a standstill. Somehow, my mileage has also improved despite my right foot being made of lead. If you were on the fence about getting the tune, fall onto the right side of that fence. The tune plus custom exhaust by Trexturk (Tom) has made my car a blast to drive. I took some friends for a ride and they were all laughing their asses off.

Here's a short video of the tune + exhaust combo. I will make a much better one in the near future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpddQ2WiaWE

Here's a vid of one of the better pulls. Nav kept calling me Dave in this clip for some reason? APR might have to sort that bug out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou6JNQwPWE0

[:p]

Thank you APR! You guys have made me a customer for life. Now develop some more A6 stuff so I can buy something! [:p]

bryzf1
04-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Glad you're enjoying it, I can't wait to get mine tuned as well. For some reason, it seems as though the shifts are quicker... are they?

305Supercharged
04-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Love the 0-60! Timed it from 0.27 to 0.31 (its 4 seconds from 0-59 then I cant exactly tell how much miliseconds it is ;p).

Great job [up][up]

Ynnekdude
04-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks!

Shifts feel quicker but I'm pretty sure it is just the placebo effect. I have a feeling the extra torque and hp higher in the power band just makes it feel quicker. I will let APR chime in on this one but I don't think shifts can be adjusted via the ECU. I would love some transmission software though... shifting at 7.2k would be fun [:p]

pkancel
04-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks for sharing, great stuff. You mentioned this before but what mufflers did you go with? I want to change out the mufflers only for sound, not the entire system.

I pick up my 2010 from Audi of Mission Viejo tomorrow-Saturday. The ECU should be flying right now from Stasis back to So Cal. Cant wait to try it out tomorrow. What does APR rate their bump in HP and Torque? Sounds like you feel it more equal across the bandwidth which is good, so not so much all at lower end or as the revs move up. Thats what I am hoping for from Stasis too.

Will report back over the wend.

Ynnekdude
04-15-2011, 01:12 PM
This is the APR dyno graph for 93 which is what I got. Pretty sure the Stasis tune is just APR's 91 program so you should see HP very similar to this (probably ~10 less).
http://www.goapr.com/includes/img/products/dyno/30tfsi_long_c6_a6/c6_a6_30tfsi_tip_apr_s1_vs_stock_93_cw.gif

Sorry about not getting back to you before about the mufflers. I completely forgot. I will shoot Trexturk a PM and find out which models they are. I'm not exactly sure.

The tune is a blast though. Hitting the gas in second gear while going 40 just yanks you back into your seat. It's quite fun.

pkancel
04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Cool, thanks so much. According to Stasis, the ECU will take the car from 300 to 376 and torque from 335 to 370 on 91 since we dont have 93 out West here. We have race gas 99 octane but its been so long since I bought it, it might be $10 per gallon now. It used to be $4.99 per gallon back in 2003.

Ynnekdude
04-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Little tease... sorry the speedometer shot is so dark... I will get better ones tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOdv-PqmkOo

Arin@APR
04-15-2011, 04:50 PM
3.0 TFSI For the Win! :D

GameBreaker
04-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Awesome! Now you just need to find an S6 and see how the two compare after the tune.

NWS4Guy
04-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Indeed! GO APR, really an incredibly good company to work with, I am extremely happy with every interaction I have had and certainly with the results.

Congrats Ynnekdude - our S4 brother [;)]

07S6
04-17-2011, 05:28 AM
Welll Done! Enjoy

JacquesA6
04-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Thank you for this write up. I am definitely looking to get that ecu upgrade on my 09 3.0t too.

Ynnekdude
04-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Indeed! GO APR, really an incredibly good company to work with, I am extremely happy with every interaction I have had and certainly with the results.

Congrats Ynnekdude - our S4 brother [;)]

I feel like part of the family now [:D] How's the BBK treating you? I was thinking of getting the ST-60 but I also found a good deal on RS6 brakes (non-ceramic)... not sure which I should go with.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

pkancel
05-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Ynnekdude, hey pal, when you did your exhaust, I recall you did cat back correct? Did you remove the resonators? Did you replace with Magnaflow resonators and then install Magnaflow mufflers or just Magnaflow mufflers without the resonators?

Does your paperwork show what mufflers were installed? If not, can you please shoot me a pic of one of them so I can show those to my local shop and attempt to get the same?

Thank you

Ynnekdude
05-29-2011, 10:33 PM
I believe he went from factory cats to X-pipe then added a center resonator and then went back to the two rear mufflers. I contacted the guy who did them a few weeks back regarding the part # of the mufflers. Unfortunately, he was on vacation and didn't know off the top of his head. I'm going to shoot him a message and I will let you know when he gets back to me.

In the meantime, I will take a few pictures and see if I can find a part number tomorrow. While there is some drone, the exhaust sounds glorious under revs. I have gotten nothing but compliments on the sound. It's definitely louder than stock but nothing obnoxious.

pkancel
05-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Thank you pal, that would be great please. Pictures or if the guy gets back to you, either one will be a huge help.

I believe he went from factory cats to X-pipe then added a center resonator and then went back to the two rear mufflers. I contacted the guy who did them a few weeks back regarding the part # of the mufflers. Unfortunately, he was on vacation and didn't know off the top of his head. I'm going to shoot him a message and I will let you know when he gets back to me.

In the meantime, I will take a few pictures and see if I can find a part number tomorrow. While there is some drone, the exhaust sounds glorious under revs. I have gotten nothing but compliments on the sound. It's definitely louder than stock but nothing obnoxious.

Ynnekdude
05-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Here you go:

X pipe is 10791, center res is 11386, and rear mufflers are 14326 and the tips are our brand tips.

pkancel
05-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks so much pal, very much appreciated.

Ynnekdude
05-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks so much pal, very much appreciated.

Anything for a fellow 3.0Ter [;)]

illusive45
05-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Man, I need to trade mine in for a 3.0T! Nice stuff, ynnek.