PDA

View Full Version : First time posting AND I need HELP!

my_A4_is_cursed
04-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi. I'm new here to these forums. I've been on VWvortex for a while but my questions aren't really answered all that well. Maybe someone here can help! I can do minor work on my car, but this one I need a little help on.

Anyway. I have a 99 a4 quattro with tiptronic. I've had it since October and just recently(Wednesday) my Cat-converter broke, like snapped off at the flange where it connect next to the engine. I didn't have really any time to deal with it because I was driving to work. So I head to work, my CEL comes on, and I figure I'll get to it the next day. So I go out to my car, start it to warm it up(it was like 30 degrees and snowing here) and while I was brushing the snow off of my car, it just stalled. Of course I try it again, and it turns over, but doesn't even sound like it will start. I tried it everday since wednesday hoping by some chance it'd start up, but nope.
I had a friend do the obdii check on it, and we pulled a p1136 code.
He's more of a Honda guy, but he told me that there is no reason my cat, or that code should keep it from starting.

ANY assistance, suggestions, experience with similar problems, or ideas whatever you may think will be greatly appreciated!!

csosnowski
04-09-2011, 01:03 PM
so your cat broke off at the turbo flange? that would definately cause the lean code since the primary o2 sensor would be exposed to air being pulled into the exhaust.

while it shouldnt prevent the car from starting, its definately an issue that you should take care of immediately since your ecu can not tell what the afr really is without the o2 sensor.

if anything, pull the cat from the downpipe and pull the flange from the turbo and take them and have them welded back together, or did the studs break off the turbo?

is that p1136 the only code that came up?

also, pull the plug on your maf and see if it will start.

my_A4_is_cursed
04-09-2011, 06:26 PM
yep, That's where it broke, right at the weld. And yeah that's the only code. I have a new cat coming probably Monday now since it didn't come today. I will install that, and maybe by some chance I can get it to start.

walky_talky20
04-09-2011, 07:12 PM
If you can't get it to start after replacing the cat, there is a couple quick things you can do to narrow it down. First, if you suspect any problems with the timing belt (or even if you don't) you should probably take a glance at that first. Just pull back the top cover a bit, and make sure the cam sprocket turns while you crank the engine with the starter. If that sprocket doesn't turn, you've got big problems.

Next you want to makes sure the CEL comes on the key ON (engine OFF). Make sure the fuel pump is priming for a few seconds when you turn the key ON (engine OFF), and that it runs continuously during cranking. Then you want to check for spark. Checking those couple things right off the bat will help you narrow it down, if you don't have any other clues (obvious codes, etc).