PDA

View Full Version : CEL just came on!!! HELP

GOROSSI46
03-22-2005, 02:19 PM
I was just on my way to school and right as I am getting on the highway the CEL comes on. I am soooooo pissed right now cuz I just picked this car up yesterday. Can AutoZone scan the code? I want to know what the hell is going on and dont want to drive it very far. The engine doesn't sound weird or anthing. Please help.

98a4
03-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Take iit to autozone, have them scan it and post the codes here. We can't help you untilll we know what its throwing

GOROSSI46
03-22-2005, 04:49 PM
I stopped by Autozone and the manager wouldn't scan it. He was being a prick saying he didn't have time. I am gonna go by there again tomorrow and if he still don't help me I am gonna know stuff off the shelves. I don't know what it could be. I kinda mishifted into second and the rpms hit about 4000 then the light came on. I will post the code when I get it tomorrow.

IndieRockSteve
03-22-2005, 05:40 PM
how much does autozone charge to scan?

GOROSSI46
03-22-2005, 05:53 PM
From what I have read on the forums they don't charge anything.

SeKKeY
03-22-2005, 08:14 PM
i was you told you rent the equipment for about 170, use it, then get your money back when you return it..as to them doing it for you? i dont think so

PDRaudi
03-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Search it on audizine, im pretty sure an old post of mine recieved the website to local VAGs

GOROSSI46
03-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Alright well I went to Autozone again and the guy still had a dick up his ass so and wouldn't do it so I went to Midas and they wanted $40 and I wasn't paying $40. So I decided to swing by this european auto place near my house to see if that guy could help me out.

He had no problem checking it for me for free and also cleared the code. The code was PO411. Something to do with secondary air. He said it was probably nothing. What the hell is this secondary air thing?

no1hustller
03-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by GOROSSI46
Alright well I went to Autozone again and the guy still had a dick up his ass so and wouldn't do it so I went to Midas and they wanted $40 and I wasn't paying $40. So I decided to swing by this european auto place near my house to see if that guy could help me out.

He had no problem checking it for me for free and also cleared the code. The code was PO411. Something to do with secondary air. He said it was probably nothing. What the hell is this secondary air thing?

Why should they do it for free? It takes time to do it and time is money. Why should anyone do you favors? The guy at the Euro shop didn't do you any favors. The codes come on for a reason and if you just ignore it could/will get worse.

AB18
03-23-2005, 07:26 PM
"Why should they do it for free? It takes time to do it and time is money. Why should anyone do you favors?"

Sounds like a personal problem to me, alot of places to things for free.

no1hustller
03-24-2005, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by AB18
"Why should they do it for free? It takes time to do it and time is money. Why should anyone do you favors?"

Sounds like a personal problem to me, alot of places to things for free.

No personal problem. I know people do things for free all the time (I do at my shop). But you shouldn't except someone to do things for free.

GOROSSI46
03-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Geez I was hoping that somebody could have helped tell me what this secondary air thing was but I guess not. I've had enough of this board. Some of you people are a freaking joke. Im going to AudiWorld!!!!

turboawd
03-24-2005, 07:07 PM
i had a similar CEL about secondary air. turned out to be a dirty combination valve which had to be replaced. here is something I read that might help u:

In the event you have an A4 1.8T with engine code ATW with the DTC of 16795 - Secondary Air Injection system, Incorrect flow Detected, a leaking Combination valve could be the problem. A leaking valve causes exhaust gas to enter the secondary air system. The water from exhaust condensation travels through the entire secondary air injection system and if the temperature drops below 0 degrees Celsius the water will freeze. In most cases the water causes the air pump to corrode. Inspecting the combination valve will reveal the problem. If the Intake side of the valve is black, exhaust has entered the secondary air injection system.

GOROSSI46
03-24-2005, 07:31 PM
I read that on AW. Did you replace it yourself or did the dealer do it? I've been reading the secondary air pump should be covered under the 7 year emission warranty but I called an Audi dealer and he told me $95/hr to diagnose what I just told him was wrong. If you replaced it your self how much was it? If the dealer did it did they do in under the Emission warranty?

turboawd
03-24-2005, 07:53 PM
i had an independant garage do it for me. but it was expensive: 2 hours labor at $85 /hr and $150 for the part. canadian dollars that is.

i never went back to that shop needless to say. my car was out of warranty already (i had a 3 yr warranty only). i've never heard of a 7 year emissions warranty...

SeKKeY
03-24-2005, 07:53 PM
i have had that code too, when the cel came on. some guy on the forums here it might be a hose leaking from the combi valve, but after i had it reset it hasnt come on again.

BLUEisFASTER
03-25-2005, 02:05 AM
i've had my cel turn up when the gas attendant doesnt turn the gas cap passed 2 clicks. i've even turned it the extra click and the cel has cleared. i'm thinking the vag said something about air or pressure

BLUEisFASTER
03-25-2005, 02:06 AM
and the only reason i dont pump my own gas is because its the law in new jersey... and about 25 cents cheaper/gallon

IndieRockSteve
03-25-2005, 06:53 AM
^^^Oregon is like that too. Dumbest law ever. What makes politicians think a $5/hr high school kid is more capable of pumping gas than myself?

GOROSSI46
03-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Well after calling 2 dealers in my area and getting now where I called AoA. Spoke with the guy for about 30 minutes. According to him there is a 8yr/80K warranty on the cat, ECM, and OBDII. I then stated that on page 22 in the USA warranty booklet that came with the owners manual that the Secondary Air Injection pump was listed as a warrented item along with a whole list of other shit. He told me that I would have to bring the car to the dealer for diagnostics and if the code came back for a bad Secondary Air Injection pump that it might be covered under that warrenty. Game me some part identifier # of 2665. Anyone know what that is? He wouldn't tell me straight out. I am bringing the car back to the dealer I bought it at tomorrow and will have them get a inspection sticker on it and replace either the seconday air pump and or the combination valve. Its their problem. Not mine. I would love to have it fixed at an Audi dealer but I will have the other dealer try to fix it and if the cel comes back on they are gonna reimburse me for bringing it to an Audi dealer.

turboawd
03-25-2005, 02:44 PM
damn, i wish i would have knew the warranty is that long for emissions...could have saved some money!!

euro3b
03-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by no1hustller
Why should they do it for free? It takes time to do it and time is money. Why should anyone do you favors? The guy at the Euro shop didn't do you any favors. The codes come on for a reason and if you just ignore it could/will get worse.

Be realistic bro, how long does it really take to hook up a laptop via USB cord to the car and read the codes? Less then 5 minutes? And if a company can't afford 5 free minutes of time, then they shouldn't be in business.

It’s the little things like this that keep customers coming back. When a company becomes stingy about all the little things, people get ticked off and don’t return.

But in the future why not save a few hundred if you can and by the VAG COM software, yes it is expensive at first, but saves you money in the long run. Only do this if money permit’s.

Rich [:)]

no1hustller
03-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by euro3b
Be realistic bro, how long does it really take to hook up a laptop via USB cord to the car and read the codes? Less then 5 minutes? And if a company can't afford 5 free minutes of time, then they shouldn't be in business.

It’s the little things like this that keep customers coming back. When a company becomes stingy about all the little things, people get ticked off and don’t return.

But in the future why not save a few hundred if you can and by the VAG COM software, yes it is expensive at first, but saves you money in the long run. Only do this if money permit’s.

I agree with you about the 'little things that count' bit but, what does Midas have to benifit from him getting the code read for free. It doesn't sound like he is going to get any work done there. They read the code for free and tell him what his problem is and they never see him again because he fixed it on his own. The opposite of your theory happened. I know for a fact that this happens. It is different if they make an appointment to have the code read because there is a potential that they will have the repair facility, whoever it maybe, repair the problem. That is smart business if you ask me. But what do I know?

euro3b
03-26-2005, 08:34 AM
^Its cool buddy, as long as your didnt take my post the wrong way, its cool

[:D]

no1hustller
03-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Not at all.

Cheers.