PDA

View Full Version : APR chipped ecu not switching programs..

alpinestar03
03-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Hello, i have a 98 b5 1.8t and it has an apr chipped ecu. It wont switch from stock mode, the cel doesnt blink at all when i press the set button on the cruise control stalk. I did however notice my cruise control doesnt work lately when i recently did some highway driving.

Im assuming its either the module for the CC or the actual stalk not letting me switch programs. So im wondering which component failure would most likely not let me switch between the two programs.

thanks

eric

revolution337
03-25-2011, 07:26 PM
The problem could definitely be in your CC stalk. Assuming thats not the problem, your APR programming may be locked. Did you set a PIN code when you got it chipped, because if so you neeed to enter that to "unlock" your ECU so then you cna change it.

alpinestar03
03-26-2011, 02:17 PM
The problem could definitely be in your CC stalk. Assuming thats not the problem, your APR programming may be locked. Did you set a PIN code when you got it chipped, because if so you neeed to enter that to "unlock" your ECU so then you cna change it.

I resolderd the resistors in the cruise control module and it functions properly as of now.

So it looks like its locked. I actually didnt even know my ecu had been chipped for almost a year after i bought the car, i sent it into AWE to get flashed this week and i was told it was already chipped. So they sent it back to me and I contatced the previous owner earlier today. He aslo didnt know the ecu was chipped. He bought the car from an auction beforhand so it looks like in SOL.

I sent APR an email in hopes of obtaining the code..

M-Hood
03-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Are you sure it is an APR chip and just because it does have a APR chip doesn't mean it has more then 1 program. It could just have their EMCS board but could just have just 1 single chip tune on it. Might want to look inside your ecu to see if it has a EMCS board or if the stock chip is still in there and it was flashed thru the OBD port.

Also I thought the APR switching with the cruise buttons was only for the dbw cars.

alpinestar03
03-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Are you sure it is an APR chip and just because it does have a APR chip doesn't mean it has more then 1 program. It could just have their EMCS board but could just have just 1 single chip tune on it. Might want to look inside your ecu to see if it has a EMCS board or if the stock chip is still in there and it was flashed thru the OBD port.

Also I thought the APR switching with the cruise buttons was only for the dbw cars.

Yea in positive its a soldered on chip, i opened the ecu up and it has the APR encryption board. I also assume its in stock mode because im only making 8-10 psi of boost, the performance program should make around 15 ish.

Also, in my owners manual i have the oem eeprom chip.

kf3506
03-27-2011, 11:12 AM
you are a 98 so you have an AEB engine.
therefore, your apr chip only has one program. 91 octane program with 200hp/243tq.

you should be boosting around 15-17lb.
since you are only doing 8-10, i suspect you have a boost leak somewhere.
cause stock is 7lb.

alpinestar03
03-27-2011, 03:27 PM
you are a 98 so you have an AEB engine.
therefore, your apr chip only has one program. 91 octane program with 200hp/243tq.

you should be boosting around 15-17lb.
since you are only doing 8-10, i suspect you have a boost leak somewhere.
cause stock is 7lb.

Huh, ive put on a new DV, FMIC and a New N75 (installed friday). I had a boost controller installed up untill last friday and i couldnt set it past 13 PSI without the car hitting soft limp mode then dropping down to 5psi.

Even when i had the oem SMIC and DV, it would spike to 10-12 then settle around 8ish.

Thanks for all the insight by the way.. Im getting quite fustrated. lol.

M-Hood
03-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Huh, ive put on a new DV, FMIC and a New N75 (installed friday). I had a boost controller installed up untill last friday and i couldnt set it past 13 PSI without the car hitting soft limp mode then dropping down to 5psi.

Even when i had the oem SMIC and DV, it would spike to 10-12 then settle around 8ish.

Thanks for all the insight by the way.. Im getting quite fustrated. lol.

Well you shouldn't hit any type of soft limit when trying to run more then 13psi with a boost controller seeing that your car is a AEB which doesn't have a map(boost) sensor.

alpinestar03
03-27-2011, 03:56 PM
hmm.. do you think it could be since i have the green spring in my 007 DV? The entire charge system has been repplaced and i used Tbolt clamps on everything besides the DV.

I also heard of bypassing the n249 valve (mabye wrong on the exact number) which controls DV functions. Would my car be equipped with one of these?

M-Hood
03-27-2011, 07:29 PM
If your car is a AEB then it shouldn't have the N249 valve. Check the vac hose going to the DV, if it is going straight to the IM then you don't have a N249 valve.