PDA

View Full Version : Navigation question

ispyder
03-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Hoping someone here might have some info on this. We're in the market for an A6 for the wife and looked at a nice one today (2008) that had everything... except the Navigation. Turns out this was one was an early model year and even though it has the technology package it doesn't have the NAV. It does have the color MMI and there is a button for NAV but it says it's not installed when pressed. So what I'm wondering is how hard is it to install the Navigation and where can I find the parts to price it out? Searching I did was inconclusive. Is it just as simple as getting the DVD unit and hooking it up in the trunk? Are there wires that need to be run to the head unit and the antennae?

Any help is appreciated. Still kind of surprised the person that ordered this car loaded it up and left out the NAV.

Thanks!

pkancel
03-20-2011, 01:51 PM
I am new to the A6 itself, but based on other Audis I have had, likely everything is pre-wired for the Nav, you probably just need the control unit/DVD and should be plug and play. I know that doesnt anwser the question but it helps get you a little closer. My advice to get the straight story, ask a service advisor at your closest dealer or better yet, if you can get straight to a technician, explain what you did here and ask if its as simple as finding the unit and then plug/play. Tech will give you the straight stuff.

Finding a used unit might be a challenge but finding one at wholesale, online should be pretty easy. Dealer obviously will charge an arm and leg but at least ask them for the price of the unit so you can compare worst case.

305Supercharged
03-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah, it could be as pkancel said, check if there is a navi DVD inserted in because to be honest I have never heard of an A6 (05+) that doesn't have navigation as a standard.

ispyder
03-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Yeah, it could be as pkancel said, check if there is a navi DVD inserted in because to be honest I have never heard of an A6 (05+) that doesn't have navigation as a standard.

I thought the same myself. They checked the car and sure enough it does not have the navigation. The DVD unit is completely missing from the trunk. I'm hoping to confirm it's as simple as pkancel suggests. It will give me an idea on whether it would be cost effective to purchase it afterwards and install the unit myself. Maybe I'll try to get in touch with my local Audi service department to see if they can give me some insight.

305Supercharged
03-20-2011, 09:32 PM
I thought the same myself. They checked the car and sure enough it does not have the navigation. The DVD unit is completely missing from the trunk.

Wow lol. Good luck with it, hope it works out :)!

manny6i9
04-06-2011, 12:24 PM
same here...part # be6305. I'm not too happy about this as this is the only function that doesn't work on my car :(

Asmir02
04-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Audi navigation is not plugin and play as they use special code to be able to allow the navigation to work. The only way of getting that code and the right unit is from Audi Dealership.

MainlandMig
04-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Iirc it's not plug n play but it's not impossible. Also*** depending on the unit u get..the unit may require u to have your MMI updated to latest ver. And a newer nav disk so factor that into the cost. There's a guy on AW forum who seems pretty smart and very capable especially w electronics but his update didn't take right and he's been troubled w having unit detect satalites for weeks.