PDA

View Full Version : Inner tire wear on front

whehd79
03-19-2011, 10:05 PM
I wonder how many of you have the same issue with mine.
I am running 19x8.5 255/35/19 tires with H&R springs all around on 2005 A6 C6.
Only front tires show uneven wear in the inner side on both.
They have been on the car for about 10K but not so seriously damaged.
I am planning to replace the front tires with rear tires since rear ones do not have the issue.
While I was searching about the issue, it seemed like its a normal issue with a car lowered with coilovers or springs.
Does anyone have the same issue with H&R springs on? Or its only me?

Also, I have a strange constant sound come from outside of the car when I drive the car at 30-40mph.
It sounds like wom wom wom wom... and once I go over 40mph, the sound reduces (hard to hear the rhythmic sound). It's very annoying on low speed.
I have searched about the issue on the forums, and I concluded it is most likely the wheel bearing problem but I am not sure if that's front or rear ones. I feel like the sound comes from front and feel it very little through the steering wheel. Is there any way to check if it is wheel bearing issue without the jack the car up?
Are those wheel bearings same for front and rear on A6 C6?
Just want to order from online and bring it to a shop to save my time and money..

Thanks for reading a long story.
Any respond would be appreciated.
Thank you all in advance.

elsst3
03-19-2011, 10:45 PM
get some stern uper control arms & call it a day

Audi4.2
03-19-2011, 11:12 PM
ur wheel alignment is incorrect, had the same issue with my lowered mustang but never cared to fix it. Was you car lowered by a shop or did u do it urself?

whehd79
03-20-2011, 12:28 PM
ur wheel alignment is incorrect, had the same issue with my lowered mustang but never cared to fix it. Was you car lowered by a shop or did u do it urself?

Thanks for the advise.
I changed the springs by a local shop.
They are not specialized for modified cars.
I think the wheel alignment they were done did not work on a lowered car.
Do I need to get wheel alignment with a specialized machine?

whehd79
03-20-2011, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the advise.
where I could get the uper control arms?
How much are they?

whehd79
03-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Could any one advise for the below questions?

Do I need to get wheel alignment with a specialized machine?
where I could get the uper control arms?
How much are they?

am_ver
04-16-2011, 06:54 PM
ok, the problem is because you have lowered your car. You are running into camber issues. The camber on the A6 is not adjustable.

Moreover, Stern does NOT make the adjustable control arms for the C6 platform (I've called Stern and confirmed). Stern control arms cost $599, but they are not available for C6.

The only solution, which I am running, is the kmacs upper control arm bushings. (http://www.k-mac.com/index.html). Oz company, but there are distributors here in the US for them. Cost about $275. I put them on about 1k miles ago - and am very happy so far. Car feels much more balanced now.

07S6
04-17-2011, 06:24 AM
What kind of tires do you have?

whehd79
04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
What kind of tires do you have?
perille summer tires

whehd79
04-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Thank you amver
So only thing I need to replace is the front upper inner control arm bushings?
Ever since you have put them on, you have no problem so far?
What about handling through the steering wheel?
Is your car A6 C6?

ok, the problem is because you have lowered your car. You are running into camber issues. The camber on the A6 is not adjustable.

Moreover, Stern does NOT make the adjustable control arms for the C6 platform (I've called Stern and confirmed). Stern control arms cost $599, but they are not available for C6.

The only solution, which I am running, is the kmacs upper control arm bushings. (http://www.k-mac.com/index.html). Oz company, but there are distributors here in the US for them. Cost about $275. I put them on about 1k miles ago - and am very happy so far. Car feels much more balanced now.

munkyboi
05-23-2011, 12:17 PM
the "toe" of your front wheels alignment might be off which could cause the type of tire wear that you describe.

many cars that are lowered with either coilovers or aftermarket struts/springs with negative camber settings do not experience excessive inner tire wear.

as for the noise, it might not be the wheel bearing, it could be due to "cupping" of your tires.

i would get the alignment checked out especially the front toe settings, and examine the tires for any "cupping".

good luck.

Thank you amver
So only thing I need to replace is the front upper inner control arm bushings?
Ever since you have put them on, you have no problem so far?
What about handling through the steering wheel?
Is your car A6 C6?

whehd79
05-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks, munkyboi.
I went to a local shop and they said same thing.
They said I would better replace the tires first before alignment done.
So I am waiting for the tires worn enough to replace them to new ones.
Hope it gets fixed soon.
Thank you.

the "toe" of your front wheels alignment might be off which could cause the type of tire wear that you describe.

many cars that are lowered with either coilovers or aftermarket struts/springs with negative camber settings do not experience excessive inner tire wear.

as for the noise, it might not be the wheel bearing, it could be due to "cupping" of your tires.

i would get the alignment checked out especially the front toe settings, and examine the tires for any "cupping".

good luck.

munkyboi
05-26-2011, 09:01 AM
you might want to inspect the shocks since the cupping of the tires could be caused by blown/leaky shocks. if the shocks are indeed bad, the new tires that you put on will be ruined again.

good luck.

Thanks, munkyboi.
I went to a local shop and they said same thing.
They said I would better replace the tires first before alignment done.
So I am waiting for the tires worn enough to replace them to new ones.
Hope it gets fixed soon.
Thank you.

nedrager
05-26-2011, 10:12 AM
You have to get an alignment guy with some sence. You can't set it to factory spec when you lower it because of the lack of camber adjustment. My car sits nearly 3 inches lower than a standard suspension car, I'm running coilovers with 265/30 20s. I don't have any tire wear issues and I don't run any special bushings or control arms. My toe is not factory spec obviously. I don't know my specs, the car was aligned at a dealer here in Germany where it's not uncommon at all to lower cars and mechanics know how to adjust for it. It's not uncommon here to see a middle aged woman driving a lowered Mercedes E class station wagon with 20s at over 120mph down the autobahn.

munkyboi
05-26-2011, 10:25 AM
your toe settings could very well be in factory spec. just because you are lowered 3 inches does not nmean that your toe settings cannot be set to factory specs. like i said above, you can have quite a bit of negative camber without any uneven tire wear if the toe settings are set to zero or close to zero.

enjoy the autobahn...

You have to get an alignment guy with some sence. You can't set it to factory spec when you lower it because of the lack of camber adjustment. My car sits nearly 3 inches lower than a standard suspension car, I'm running coilovers with 265/30 20s. I don't have any tire wear issues and I don't run any special bushings or control arms. My toe is not factory spec obviously. I don't know my specs, the car was aligned at a dealer here in Germany where it's not uncommon at all to lower cars and mechanics know how to adjust for it. It's not uncommon here to see a middle aged woman driving a lowered Mercedes E class station wagon with 20s at over 120mph down the autobahn.

whehd79
05-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Munkyboi,
Since you are in New York, do you have a good machenics around you?
Which part of ny are you living?

your toe settings could very well be in factory spec. just because you are lowered 3 inches does not nmean that your toe settings cannot be set to factory specs. like i said above, you can have quite a bit of negative camber without any uneven tire wear if the toe settings are set to zero or close to zero.

enjoy the autobahn...

munkyboi
05-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Munkyboi,
Since you are in New York, do you have a good machenics around you?
Which part of ny are you living?

i sure do, PM me.

bong2611
11-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Did the issue ever get resolved? Do you pics of the inner tire wear? I'm asking cause I have a similar issue with my 2000 Audi A6 Avant.

TIA

whehd79
11-27-2011, 04:40 PM
I pmed you, bong.
Proper Wheel alignment was the problem solver for my issue.