PDA

View Full Version : So this is the leak (PICS!)

AudiNFS
03-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Hey guys. As some of you may remember, I had a leak in my car and couldn't decide what it was or where specifically. I stuck a paper towel underneath the car today when I got back from doing a few pulls and voila, there it is. It's orangeish in color and has somewhat of a soapy smell to it( best way I can describe it.) Again, comes from the front middle of the car just behind the radiator. Any better guesses where it's coming from? TIA

http://s990.photobucket.com/albums/af30/Brooks_Johnson/?action=view&current=get-attachmentaspx-6.jpg
http://s990.photobucket.com/albums/af30/Brooks_Johnson/?action=view&current=get-attachmentaspx-8.jpg

Mad Cow
03-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Probably coolant, looks like its coming from the radiator. Also when I had a coolant leak the coolant that evaporated left a bright pink stain, look for that anywhere that gets hot.

AudiNFS
03-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Probably coolant, looks like its coming from the radiator. Also when I had a coolant leak the coolant that evaporated left a bright pink stain, look for that anywhere that gets hot.

Thanks man will do.

Any other ideas guys/gals?

nizmosx
03-17-2011, 01:39 PM
how does your steering feel. the fact that its dripping on one of your tires makes me want to consider a steering rack as being a leak., but the color on the napkin looks pinkish which means coolant.

walky_talky20
03-17-2011, 01:50 PM
My money is on water pump or t-stat housing.

AudiNFS
03-17-2011, 02:05 PM
how does your steering feel. the fact that its dripping on one of your tires makes me want to consider a steering rack as being a leak., but the color on the napkin looks pinkish which means coolant.

The steering feels fine I supppose. This is my first audi. It doesn't feel tight or difficult to turn the wheel or anything. Thing is though, when I went to the stealership, they told me that I had to replace turbo, clutch, and steering rack. Forgot about that one but it didn't make sense to me because my steering felt fine. Although, I don't know what a faulty steering rack is like. I PRAY this is not the water pump since I already had the timing belt changed

nizmosx
03-17-2011, 03:24 PM
you should pray it is the water pump, versus the steering rack. check your power-steering fluid just in case. Its very odd for any type of coolant to be leaking on your tire. you might just have 2 different leaks.

AudiNFS
03-17-2011, 04:10 PM
you should pray it is the water pump, versus the steering rack. check your power-steering fluid just in case. Its very odd for any type of coolant to be leaking on your tire. you might just have 2 different leaks.

Do you see it leaking on my tire from in the picture? If so its probably from the puddle I have to go through to get to my driveway. I've never seen anything leak on or near my tire before, just that middle one.

nizmosx
03-17-2011, 04:25 PM
http://s990.photobucket.com/albums/a...mentaspx-6.jpg

you can see it on your tire in this pic. it doesnt look as if you drove through a puddle, it looks as if something is dripping on it.

either way check both.

AudiNFS
03-17-2011, 04:32 PM
http://s990.photobucket.com/albums/a...mentaspx-6.jpg

you can see it on your tire in this pic. it doesnt look as if you drove through a puddle, it looks as if something is dripping on it.

either way check both.

Thanks for your input. I dont think I have a leak by the tire since I've never had liquid on my tire since then.

Just so I know, what are symptoms of a bad steering rack?

BaconBait
03-17-2011, 05:01 PM
My money is on water pump or t-stat housing.

^^^
It looks like it's also running down the oil pan. When coolant dries, it turns into a white/pink crust.

blacka4
03-17-2011, 05:05 PM
A/C oil. Does the A/C work?

flynnr
03-17-2011, 05:08 PM
could be your washer fluid XD i use rain x orange stuff lol.

AudiNFS
03-17-2011, 05:09 PM
A/C oil. Does the A/C work?

Good question. Honestly, i've never had the AC on in my car. I'll have to try it. Is leaking A/C oil really a bad thing if I've never used the A/C?

blacka4
03-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Good question. Honestly, i've never had the AC on in my car. I'll have to try it. Is leaking A/C oil really a bad thing if I've never used the A/C?

Well the clutch spins even when the heat is on. So yes it could be a bad thing because the oil lubes the compressor

BaconBait
03-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Power steering fluid is green.

The AC condenser is the closest part and is 4 inches forward of the puddle.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. The puddle is directly below the water pump and thermostat housing and it's the same color as coolant.

Ah hell, it's probably your blinker fluid or grease leaking from your seized muffler bearings.

A4 Effort
03-18-2011, 05:31 AM
That's definitely coolant. Judging from the area of the leak, my guess is either water pump or your main seal. What's the view from above look like?

AudiNFS
03-18-2011, 09:43 PM
That's definitely coolant. Judging from the area of the leak, my guess is either water pump or your main seal. What's the view from above look like?

It just so happens I took some pics today with the nice weather we were having.

http://s990.photobucket.com/albums/af30/Brooks_Johnson/?action=view&current=get-attachmentaspx-9.jpg
http://s990.photobucket.com/albums/af30/Brooks_Johnson/?action=view&current=get-attachment-1aspx-2.jpg
http://s990.photobucket.com/albums/af30/Brooks_Johnson/?action=view&current=get-attachment-2aspx-1.jpg

walky_talky20
03-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Definitely coolant. The blotches of pink, crusty residue are textbook. I'm really thinking water pump on this one. The leak looks pretty good there, you must be using some coolant over time, no?

csosnowski
03-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Definitely coolant. The blotches of pink, crusty residue are textbook. I'm really thinking water pump on this one. The leak looks pretty good there, you must be using some coolant over time, no?

I agree with walky, coolant all the way. I would also lean towards the wp as well, if the crusts were more on the side of the pan I would suggest t-stat housing but its coming directly down the front.

sidenote: walky, please pm me. Id like to ask you about your apr tune. thanks!

AudiNFS
03-19-2011, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I suppose I have to go get this done[headbang] Anyone think this is a good DIY? About how long of a job and how expensive are parts?

weaselciuy
03-19-2011, 09:04 AM
coolant flange or the thermostat housing has its rubber thing used up. Same problem here got new flange with sealer.

AudiNFS
03-19-2011, 12:43 PM
coolant flange or the thermostat housing has its rubber thing used up. Same problem here got new flange with sealer.

Thanks man. What i'm gonna do is just get a whole timing kit so hopefully I don't have to deal with this stuff again for awhile

quattro16
03-19-2011, 04:00 PM
What year is your car?? Cause only 01 and newer have the Tbelt running the waterpump.

walky_talky20
03-19-2011, 06:41 PM
^It's an AEB. You can tell by the snub mount and oil pan. That means external water pump, but it can still drip down the oil pan like that, just more-so on the driver's side, just like his is doing.

It should be pretty easy to trace that pink stuff back to the source once you throw it on a lift.