PDA

View Full Version : I looked I swear - Noisy Injectors?

Xerophile
03-20-2005, 08:29 PM
I looked around and I couldn't find a definite answer. If I have noisy injectors (fast clicking sound near the intake manifold, to the right of the plastic cover), would replacing the injectors quiet things down? Thanks, and if I missed an earlier post with the answer to this, I'll put on my flame suit.

Rieger_RS4
03-20-2005, 08:37 PM
it's not the injectors...........it's your lifters that are making the noice + you almost have 150k miles on the car

SFexBOY
03-20-2005, 08:43 PM
i thought my ticking noise was my lifters....ended up being my chain cam tensioner (@ 70K miles)- > replaced under warranty last wk.

Rieger_RS4
03-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by SFexBOY
i thought my ticking noise was my lifters....ended up being my chain cam tensioner (@ 70K miles)- > replaced under warranty last wk.

hmm.....did it go away?

I've had it ever since i bught the car with 40k on it.........it's not loud or anyhting and my friend has it on his GTI with 35k on the clock.

SFexBOY
03-20-2005, 08:57 PM
yup it went away....but the chain cam tensioner got to a point where the ticking became a knocking noise, followed by a CEL...and sputtering engine. Chances are your problem is the noisy lifters.

OverSpun
03-20-2005, 09:07 PM
i used to get it on my old car, sometimes it was really loud, and eventually it just stopped and never heard it again. i wasnt sad to hear it go away tho.

Xerophile
03-21-2005, 06:13 AM
So, that's just sort of the deal and I'm stuck with it? Anything I can do to get rid of the noise and is it an issue?

3 bar
03-21-2005, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Xerophile
So, that's just sort of the deal and I'm stuck with it? Anything I can do to get rid of the noise and is it an issue?

Yeah. Get a chain and a cam tensioner.

Xerophile
03-21-2005, 07:35 AM
Any idea on what that would run me? Is is a do it yourself project, or something best left to an expert?

3 bar
03-21-2005, 08:11 AM
If you can do a timing belt change yourself you can probably change the chain and tensioner. You will have to take the timing belt off anyway because you will have to get the cams loose to remove the chain. I am assuming its about time for a new timing belt with 143K. I dont know the cost but you'll need a timing belt kit, valve cover gasket, chain and tensioner. Not cheap as far as parts are concerned.

Xerophile
03-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Hmm, I had my timing belt done at around 103k, would they have done the cam and chain then?

cbass
03-21-2005, 10:05 AM
They probably wouldn't have done the cam tensioner at the same time as the timing belt.

If you can really pinpoint the noise like you say you can in the first post and the noise really is off to the right of the engine, then it's probably not the cam tensioner. The cam tensioner sits at the very back of the engine on top. Obviously this is hard to diagnose because sounds carry within an engine compartment. Have you tried a mechanics stethoscope to try and isolate the sound? That would help.

If it's not coming from the back of the engine, I would bet it's the lifters like has also been said. What kind and weight of oil do you run?

Sometimes if the oil is too thin, your engine won't build enough pressure to get the oil up to the lifters, that's generally why they click (because they don't have enough oil). On a car with that many miles, it might be worth getting a oil pressure test to see if you can better pinpoint the problem before making repairs that may not be needed because both the cam tensioner job and a lifter job are pretty pricey. You want to know that what you're fixing will do the trick before doing the job.

My car had the clicking and it ended up being a bad oil pump. The pump couldn't make enough pressure to get enough oil to the top of the engine (where the lifters are), so it clicked. Replaced the oil pump and all is fine now, no more clicking for the last 30,000 miles

Xerophile
03-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by cbass
They probably wouldn't have done the cam tensioner at the same time as the timing belt.

If you can really pinpoint the noise like you say you can in the first post and the noise really is off to the right of the engine, then it's probably not the cam tensioner. The cam tensioner sits at the very back of the engine on top. Obviously this is hard to diagnose because sounds carry within an engine compartment. Have you tried a mechanics stethoscope to try and isolate the sound? That would help.

If it's not coming from the back of the engine, I would bet it's the lifters like has also been said. What kind and weight of oil do you run?

Sometimes if the oil is too thin, your engine won't build enough pressure to get the oil up to the lifters, that's generally why they click (because they don't have enough oil). On a car with that many miles, it might be worth getting a oil pressure test to see if you can better pinpoint the problem before making repairs that may not be needed because both the cam tensioner job and a lifter job are pretty pricey. You want to know that what you're fixing will do the trick before doing the job.

My car had the clicking and it ended up being a bad oil pump. The pump couldn't make enough pressure to get enough oil to the top of the engine (where the lifters are), so it clicked. Replaced the oil pump and all is fine now, no more clicking for the last 30,000 miles

I was wondering if it might be a bad oil pump, or at least worn out. I'd heard of that as a possibility. I run Mobil 1 0w40. Would switching to something like 5w40 help at all? What's the best place to get a oil pressure test and how much would I be looking for to get that done?

I tried to use the screwdriver trick to try a locate the noise and the best that I was able to figure out is that it seems to be focused towards the engine side of the intake manifold. How much for an oil pump job?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. The noise just irritates me(and yeah, worries me too) because the car runs great other than these damn noises.

cbass
03-21-2005, 12:46 PM
I can't remember how much an oil pressure test costs, but IIRC, it's not too much. You could probably just call around to some shops and have them give you a quote.

To replace the pump on the other hand is a real PITA. You can do one of two things to change it... 1) remove the entire front subframe of the car to get the oil pan off or 2) Pull the engine up out of the bay a few inches to have enought clearance to get the oil pan out.

#2 is what the Bentley Manual says to do although I have heard of the first one being done also, maybe Daft or someone else can chime in with which method is better.

The part isn't all that expensive, it's just the labor that will cost you unless you have the shop equipment to do it yourself. IIRC, the dealer (don't go there) wanted to charge $850 to do the job, another expensive european shop around here (that I don't usually go to) wanted $700, and the place where I got it done did it for $590 total. That's why you want to make sure it really is the pump and not the cam tensioner or something else before you go do it.

You could try 5w50 weight oil, but 0w40 should be fine. Does it click more when it's cold, warmed up, or just all the time??

Xerophile
03-21-2005, 01:26 PM
It clicks all the time. Warmed up, Cold starts, all the time.

Thanks again. I think I'll start calling around for the pressure test. If nothing else, it'll start narrowing things down and if it's not too much to do, the peace of mind of at least knowing will be worth while. If it is the pump, I suspect I WON'T be doing it.

BTW, nice sig. [:)]

jent
03-24-2005, 10:46 AM
I have had the same ticking issue, If it is a failing oil pump does that mean that this ticking is metal on metal? Am I destroying my engine? Let me know what you find out on an oil pressure test as I might do the same thing.

I am planing on replacing my timing belt 10-15k miles from now. I was going to do the thermistat, water pump, and tensioner at the same time. If I do find out that it is a failing oil pump do you think I can keep driving my car that long before I fix it and just do it all when I do the timing belt?

J Irwan
07-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by SFexBOY

Do you have an aftermarket warranty of this cam tensioner is cover by Audi USA warranty ?

Thanks,

J Irwan