PDA

View Full Version : Are you running H&R swaybars...

nedrager
03-14-2011, 05:24 AM
Looking for input from anyone running H&R bars. Any issues when installing them? I'm hoping for better turn in, currently I push the front more than I care for. I have H&R coilovers installed. My new bars should be here in a week or so if all goes well. I searched but couldn't find any threads with them on the C6 platform.

Kevin1
03-14-2011, 05:06 PM
I have them on the rear. They made a huge improvement in the cornering of the car without sacrificing the ride.

dufferdude
03-18-2011, 11:27 PM
I have both the Front & Rear. I installed them myself and put them on the inside holes, which is the stiffer setup. It was a dramatic improvement for me. It's nice to take roundabouts without slowing down. the front install was easy, 1 hour. The rear is a little more involved, it took me about 4-5 hours. If you want some help, drop me a PM.

pkancel
03-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Guys, ballpark what was the cost for the swaybars here in US, each? Thank you

I take it these are replacements for the OEs?

Kevin1
03-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Bought mine off Tire Rack. Take a look at their website for the price.

dufferdude
03-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Bought mine from Achtuning.com, $280 for the front, $215 for the rear.

D's Avant
03-19-2011, 09:09 PM
I have both the Front & Rear. I installed them myself and put them on the inside holes, which is the stiffer setup. It was a dramatic improvement for me. It's nice to take roundabouts without slowing down. the front install was easy, 1 hour. The rear is a little more involved, it took me about 4-5 hours. If you want some help, drop me a PM.

I installed my spacers (10mm front and 12mm rear) today and was looking around at the rear bar, why 4-5 hours? Do you have to drop the rear subframe?

nedrager
03-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Clue us all in...

What's the issue with the rear bar install? The front is cake, all mounted outside the K member. I haven't looked hard at the routing on the rear.

Kevin1
03-20-2011, 03:26 PM
I watched the tech replace the rear in about 45 minutes. It was no big deal. He just loosened the exhaust.

dufferdude
03-20-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm no tech.

Kevin1
03-21-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm no tech.

Neither am I. Lol

dufferdude
03-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Duh, that's why you paid a tech to do yours.

nedrager
03-22-2011, 08:44 AM
I consider myself as an "advanced enthusiast". I've built motor to complete cars in the garage but have no formal training. Maybe I can snap some photos and post a how to. Currently I'm out of town on business so it won't happen until mid Mayish. I have new cross-drilled/dimpled rotors with custom painted hubs plus new pads to install too.

Lancek1028
05-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I did my rear in about 90 minutes, the biggest fear was dropping the exhaust. I had never done that before and was sort of guessing my way through. I put a floor jack under the
center resonator and let the entire thing down nice and slow. Once it was low enough the old one slipped out the drivers side and in with the new. I also did new links which were
a PITA!! Took longer to do them than switch out the bar.

transp0rter
05-06-2011, 11:29 AM
i have a c6 4.2 with sport susp, 05 . i was wondering if i replace my front sway bar, do i have to replace my coils too, cause i read somewhere saying that they had to replace both.

MainlandMig
05-06-2011, 11:08 PM
i have a c6 4.2 with sport susp, 05 . i was wondering if i replace my front sway bar, do i have to replace my coils too, cause i read somewhere saying that they had to replace both.

I never heard u had to replace coils...sounds odd

That said ...I don't think any are available...they r on a national back order

I have had an order w ECS tuning since December.

nedrager
05-07-2011, 03:34 AM

Do you have to replace the coils (on engine, connected to spark plug) when replacing a front sway bar? No, not related at all.

Do you have to replace the coils (as in springs, part of the suspension) when replacing a front sway bar? No, related, but do not need to be changed.

transp0rter
05-07-2011, 09:50 AM
I didn't mean coils as engine spark splug coils. I meant , coils as , springs...... Lol. Btw my coils were replaced by audi As a recall.
Y I ask is someone at tire rack installed the sway bar, and then had to replace " springs" too.
Hope I am making sense now.
Thank u

nedrager
05-07-2011, 03:29 PM
You replace the bushings when you install the new sway bar, typically because of the diameter change between the old and new bars. There is no direct connection of the swaybar and coil spring and it's absolutely NOT a requirment to change coil springs and swaybars together. Hang up, walk away or call BS on anyone who tells you different.

transp0rter
05-09-2011, 10:55 AM
thanks, i appreciate the help. also, i know its a diff topic, but im planning on putting "wheel spacers" 10mm or 15, MAX. so do i put smaller in front and bigger in rear, or doesnt really matter. thanks again.

nedrager
05-10-2011, 12:28 AM
thanks, i appreciate the help. also, i know its a diff topic, but im planning on putting "wheel spacers" 10mm or 15, MAX. so do i put smaller in front and bigger in rear, or doesnt really matter. thanks again.

That depends, I don't know your current wheel/tire setup. You'll have to measure to see how much clearance you'll have if you add spacers. I'm running a 20x9 in wheel with a 265 tire and 45mm offset. If I add spacers the tires will eat the body.

transp0rter
05-10-2011, 07:52 AM
I am running 245/40-18, im happy with them , the 5 spoke ones. so maybe 10mm in front and 15mm in rear would do it , or put both the same either 10 or 15 , i just dont want to make it look too "honda-ish"

nedrager
05-11-2011, 02:38 PM
The factory wheels have a 40mm offset if I remember right. So you could put a 10mm spacer in and still have plenty of clearance I'd think.

transp0rter
05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I think I'll go w 10mm inn front and rear . Also do u think i need new bolts or the original should do it.since it's only 10 mm. Just trying to save some $$$ if idont have to replace them ... Thanks

dufferdude
05-12-2011, 09:10 AM
take out one of your lug bolts that are on the car now and add 10mm to the length. should have at least 7 turns on them when you put them on. Safety first.
I added 15mm spacers on my car and needed 50mm lug bolts. this is my setup, I'm sure someone will chime in with something different.http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/5263/6034207479915orig.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/813/6034207479915orig.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

D's Avant
05-12-2011, 09:15 AM
I run 10mm front and 12mm rear with a wheel stud conversion set-up. Mine are flush at the rear to a little tucked. You really need to get longer lug bolts or do the stud conversion.

transp0rter
05-12-2011, 10:45 AM
@ duffer are u running ur stock susps or did u convert.

@ D's if thats the case then i might have to stick with 10mm but i would at least like the 12mm cause 10, idk if u can tell the diff...

D's Avant
05-12-2011, 01:11 PM
@ duffer are u running ur stock susps or did u convert.

@ D's if thats the case then i might have to stick with 10mm but i would at least like the 12mm cause 10, idk if u can tell the diff...

I would go with 12mm and I'm thinking that 15mm would not look right on a non-lowered car. I am running on stock sport for now/or forever, this is my daily driver and long haul weekend car too.

transp0rter
05-12-2011, 02:11 PM
yep agreed, i do have the sport suspension though. also i only drive it on weekends.

dufferdude
05-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Lowered with H&R springs, I'm happy with the way they look. Sits pretty flush now. Get the longer bolts.

transp0rter
05-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks man, any particular brand , or place to purchase or just any "spacer" will do the trick ....

D's Avant
05-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks man, any particular brand , or place to purchase or just any "spacer" will do the trick ....

H&R (Aluminum and TUV approved) would be my recommendation from PureMotorsports. The RAD wheel bolts seem like a good choice too if you are not going with a wheel stud conversion.

MainlandMig
05-13-2011, 10:26 PM
ECSTuning just shipped my sway bar kit. The kit is front n rear w a small discount price. National back order took me like 6 Mos to get them. I really want to DIY this install.

Q1. Does a step by step exist? Even a DIY for a c5 or anyother VAG model would be helpful.
Q2. If removed gently is the OEM sway bars still useful. Bushings etc. *I'm not trying to re sell but keeping incase I ever sell car and want to put OEM sways back.
Q3. Does the c6 have a engine cross bar avail for it?
Q4. Want to replace my stock lug bolts. Any brand/style preferred. I'm looking for strength n functionally not appearance chrome or the like.

Also ET for stock 18s is 48 in the early year c5s the 19s may have ET 43 like the b8. Mot sure about 17s

dufferdude
05-14-2011, 11:40 PM
How much did you pay?
#1. Not that I'm aware of. I didn't really need it, but I'm no tech. Once you see how they are attached, you'll figure it out. I did mine with just ramps.
#2. I saved mine, for the reason you stated.
#3. Strut mount? Not sure, never seen one before. I would buy one though too.
#4. a bolt is a bolt to me. got my H&R spacers and bolts at Achtuning.com, check with them. Good people.
I put my sways on the inside (stiffer) hole and love the ride. JMO.

gablks4
05-20-2011, 10:29 PM
anyone run lowering springs on their already lowered sport suspension 4.2's?

nedrager
05-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Finally got half way done... I put the rear on after I did the brakes. Wasn't hard, just unbolt the exhaust hangers and everything goes easy. The front will get done next oil change. First impressions: The car turns in much better without pushing the front. Actually it turns in so well now I turn it to tight because I'm used to having to correct for the front pushing. I don't know how much the front will help, but I'm completely happy with just a rear upgrade.

MainlandMig
05-25-2011, 10:53 PM
I just put on some new wheels..
Was thinking of getting alignment
Should I save the alignment for after the sway bar installs?

Ned...Did u get a chance to snap some pics or did u change your mind about posting a step by step DIY?
I am about to install mine soon...If your going to do a write up...I'll wait...but if not maybe I'll tackle the write up myself

nedrager
05-26-2011, 10:05 AM
I just put on some new wheels..
Was thinking of getting alignment
Should I save the alignment for after the sway bar installs?

Ned...Did u get a chance to snap some pics or did u change your mind about posting a step by step DIY?
I am about to install mine soon...If your going to do a write up...I'll wait...but if not maybe I'll tackle the write up myself

Swaybars won't effect your alignment. I didn't grab the camera, not write up. It's actually really straight forward. You just have to unbolt the rear exhaust hangers to get enough clearance to remove and replace the bar. The only other advice I would give is don't weight one side of the bar, you won't be able to flex it to install the hardware if you do. That's pretty obvious though, I didn't tighten anything down until all the mount bolts and link bolts were in and started.

jimmyjamm
05-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Is there any disadvantage to installing just the rear bar?

nedrager
05-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Is there any disadvantage to installing just the rear bar?

It's heavier than the stock bar. Otherwise, none. The car doesn't ride any different and it turns better.

Arnold K.
06-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Just installed the rear, set it to the outside hole. Made a great difference in cornering for sure.

Though, I have a question. If I make a sudden move driving on the highway (let's say I want to avoid a pothole or roadkill) the car still wallows and rolls a lot - the front and rear do not react at the same time. Will the front sway bar fix this or at least correct it a lot? I'm considering Eibachs, but people say you'll never get your alignment back in spec with springs (thus destroying tires) and camber kits for the car are way too expensive.

I'm also considering sport or S-Line suspension, but I have no idea how much they lower the car - I can't find any decent pics of cars with them on.

nedrager
06-06-2011, 02:12 AM
Just installed the rear, set it to the outside hole. Made a great difference in cornering for sure.

Though, I have a question. If I make a sudden move driving on the highway (let's say I want to avoid a pothole or roadkill) the car still wallows and rolls a lot - the front and rear do not react at the same time. Will the front sway bar fix this or at least correct it a lot? I'm considering Eibachs, but people say you'll never get your alignment back in spec with springs (thus destroying tires) and camber kits for the car are way too expensive.

I'm also considering sport or S-Line suspension, but I have no idea how much they lower the car - I can't find any decent pics of cars with them on.

You could make the swaybar stiffer by using the inside hole... The car wallows because the damping and spring rates are soft from the factory. That's normal for a big touring car. Springs don't destroy your tires, the alignment does. If you try to align the car to the factory settings then you will wear the tires. If you take out the toe and run it close to zero it should help with the tire wear. I have driven thousands of miles with my car and don't have any wear issues. I'm also running coilovers, set to ride lower than any available springs. If you align the car for your new setup then you should be fine... The sport/S line stuff isn't much improvement from what you have now. I'd recommend going with the aftermarket stuff, springs and dampers.

Arnold K.
06-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Solid advice, thank you!

So as long as I have the toe adjusted slightly out to zero, that should alleviate a good portion of premature tire wear?

nedrager
06-07-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm suggesting that you find a shop that has some broader experience with modified cars. Any shop can look up the factory specs and set your car to that, but that isn't really what we need. Here in Germany modified cars are prominent and are even modded by dealerships for customers. They have rigorous tech inspections here too. The dealer I use just has seen a lot of modded cars and knew to alter the alignment spec to compensate for the new ride height and lack of camber adjustment.

Arnold K.
06-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah, NYC is a haven for modded cars. Luckily though, my Audi dealership is Stassis certified so they are mod friendly. Though I do have a separate high-end performance shop I take my 370Z to. I never really thought about the affect that poor toe could have on tire wear, until it hit me...too much in or out causes the tires to drag against the asphalt as opposed to roll with it. Heh. Thanks for your help, Nedrager.