PDA

View Full Version : Car has trouble starting after putting gas in!! p1136 & p0441!! Please HELP!

AudiTurbo
03-12-2011, 10:20 AM
So it doesn't matter how much gas is in my car when I add more gas to my car it takes two times for my car to start. I have to hold the pedal to the floor and once is starts I have to keep the revs up until it will idle ok or it will die. After it starts and idles fine I can shut it off and restart it and it runs fine.

I have two codes p1136 (fuel air metering), and p0441 (evap emmisions)

Have any suggestions?
Thanks

salz2135
03-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Do both of the faults return after you clear them?

If they do, P1136 suggests you may have a problem with low MAF values due to a malfunction or a vacuum leak at idle.

For the EVAP fault, I would suggest making sure your N80 purge valve is operating correctly.

Without having the car in front of me, I can't really accurately comment on whether the faults are related or independent issues.

AudiTurbo
03-12-2011, 11:12 AM
The fuel air metering does! When I rev it up sometimes the rpms will drop really low but then idles fine after

BlackBirdSR71
03-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Replace your N80 valve. Evaporator Purge Valve. It's a common problem.

Valve leaks and when you fill your tank, raw gas fumes ( or even fuel ) leaks past the N80 valve and directly into the Intake manifold, effectively flooding your car. The codes are a symptom of the failed valve.

Edit: Valve is located on top of the factory air cleaner box. Remove the air box cover panel, and it will be staring you in the face.

Here is the part you want at Autohaus AZ. You may find it cheaper elsewhere:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=ehzmaz55pf55bi2jubflt2ms&partnumber=0280142300

http://www.autohausaz.com/secure/PartImages/0280142300.jpg

BTW, avoid the temptation to " Top off " the fuel tank when refueling. Over filling can ruin these valves. VAG has a tech bulletin on this issue ( over filling ).

AudiTurbo
03-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Will that take care of both of my problems?
Thank you

salz2135
03-13-2011, 01:19 PM
There is only one way to find out. If you don't have a vcds to properly diagnose the problems, you need to start replacing parts to see if it takes care of your fault codes. Personally, I wouldn't shotgun an N80 valve into the car unless the EVAP code continuously returns.

Try to find someone with vcds in your area and log the MAF readings. Pressure test your charge system from the turbo intake pipe to the intake manifold to identify any leaks.

AudiTurbo
03-14-2011, 03:30 AM
I got it cleared and within a few hours of driving it came back on

BlackBirdSR71
03-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Suggestion to replace N80 valve is NOT a WAG. It is a well documented problem on European cars that use this valve ( VW, Audi, BMW,Mercedes, Porsche, Volvo, Saab. They all have tech bulletins warning owners not to over fill the fuel tank as this will damage the N80 valve.

All of your symptoms are "TEXT BOOK" N80 valve failure. And it only happens when you fill the gas tank. There is NO other failure that coincides with the filling of the gas tank and the two codes you get.

If you want to test it, disconnect the hose from the N80 valve to the intake manifold. It should be the hose facing the front of the car. Plug the line with a bolt and then fill up the car. If car starts no problem you have just confirmed the N80 valve failure.

BlackBirdSR71
03-15-2011, 10:04 AM
FYI..when you overfill the fuel tank, raw fuel can flow into the charcoal canister of the VPC ( located in the back of the car ), this dislodges fine particles of charcoal and they flow through the line. They get stuck in the N80 valve and lodge it open.

Now you have a direct connection between your gas tank, the Vapor Purge Canister and the intake manifold. So when you fill up, raw fuel vapors flow directly from the Vapor Purge Canister into your intake manifold. This effectively floods your engine.

It also throws code P0441 ( Evap emissions ) because the N80 valve is not cycling ( jammed with charcoal particles or failed out right ) and code P1136 ( fuel trim ) as you now have a large vacuum leak in your system and the ECU is trying to compensate.

BTW, after refueling, a properly operating N80 valve should start " clacking " loudly as it cycles. It will do this for a few minutes. " Sporadic " clacking or none at all is another sure fire indicator of a failed N80 valve.

salz2135
03-15-2011, 05:58 PM
You make a good point. Actually testing the EVAP purge valve I can agree with. Just not a fan of throwing parts at the car unless you know. That's all.

AudiTurbo
03-16-2011, 03:52 AM
I don't even over fill my tank.. It even happens when it's close to empty and I just put 20 dollars in it.. Are you saying it caused a vacuum leak?

salz2135
03-16-2011, 06:32 PM
the malfunctioning purge valve allows unmetered air into the combustion chambers which results in the lean condition.