PDA

View Full Version : Hard shifting from 3rd to 4th.

ricekikr
03-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Car: 1997 1.8tqm Low mileage (~25t miles only)
Shifter: Short shift kit unknown brand.

When shifting normally or even slightly fast, it goes in normally no grinding no hesitation, it even makes a good clink sound. But when I try to powershift or shift a little too quickly, it either grinds or doesn't go in at all. It only happens when shifting from 3rd to 4th, there's no problem in any other gear. It's happens intermittently, some quick shifts go in no problem some don't

Could the JHM delrin bushing solve this? I'm thinking that there might be some play somewhere (old rubber bushings?)

http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/jhm-delrin-shifter-stabilizer-bushing-b5b6-a4passat1997-2004-p-29.html?osCsid=dc4d425c43933a3cc826bbd8b19a018a
http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/images/linkage%20upgrade.jpg

M-Hood
03-08-2011, 09:18 AM
The bushing upgrade could help, it will reduce the movement of the shifter box.

BTW are you 100% sure you have the clutch fully disengaged when power shifting?

somebody5788
03-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Have this problem on my current transmission, my old one didn't with the same setup. This transmission ended up being bad.

For you though I'd try some different fluid in it. Redline MT90 is said to be the best.

ricekikr
03-08-2011, 09:52 AM
BTW are you 100% sure you have the clutch fully disengaged when power shifting?

I do catch myself releasing the clutch halfway thru the shift causing the grinding. But I'm slightly inclined to think that I release the clutch early because it feels like I already completed the shift when it's only really halfway in. My brain thinks if it doesn't go in any further it must be in lol

There was this one time that it just wouldn't go into 4th at all. Was in 3rd WOT shift to 4th it didn't go in, tried to shift to 4th again nothing, shifted to 5th and coasted.

Will tranny oil help? Motul gear 300 good? 3quarts? Should I try gear oil first or bushings first (I don't have as much shifter play as the JHM video)?

Or could the shifter linkage be bent? If bent, shouldn't it affect other gears as well? This is my 2nd clutch CM 228mm first then now fx400 240mm. It also happened, but rarely, with the 228mm.

M-Hood
03-08-2011, 10:20 AM
How of an rpm are you trying to do a WOT shift? Because our transmissions have a lock out when at too high of an rpm. Plus at higher rpms the disk can drag slightly when trying to shift really quick. The heavier flywheel is not going to help when trying to do WOT shifts or really quick shifts at very high rpms, this is why you had less issues with the 228mm setup if you had a CM 15 lbs flywheel. The 240mm flywheel is about 4-5 lbs heavier.

Changing to a better gear oil can help, Motul 300 and Redline MT90 are good choices.

You might want to take off the shifter trim and see how much the shifter box moves around. Mine moved around plenty and found out that was normal for the stock parts, put the JHM bushing kit on my car and it really helped reduce how much it moved. You might also want to look into doing the JHM linkage upgrade which makes the shifts more crisp.

ricekikr
03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Oops sorry for the confusion forgot to put in a coma between "3rd wot" and "shift 4th". I let go of the gas before I shift. I'm WOT right before the shift. I shift at around 7krpm in 3rd gear. With the 228mm I was on stock dual mass flywheel.

I'll try the oil first, its overdue anyways.

Thanks for the insight [:)]

onemoremile
03-09-2011, 10:31 AM
My bet is on worn syncros. Powershifting wears them out.

Polski
03-09-2011, 11:34 AM

what he said,

I have the same issue when trying to power shift from 2nd to 3rd.
And yet i'm running a 10lbs aluminium lwfw.

ricekikr
03-09-2011, 08:37 PM

That's what I'm worried about. But most cars I've driven with worn syncros crunch gears everytime (slow or fast / high or low rpm) I shift to that gear. Maybe mine isn't that worn yet, cause mine only crunches/hardshift from time to time, not everytime I do a quick shift / power shift (fast shift / high rpm).