PDA

View Full Version : I want my amber back...

TMatthews
03-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Alright, so over the weekend I decided to take care of the amber lenses in my depos. After I finished the CC mod I installed the lights and I'm not digging them on my particular car. So here's what I am throwing out there, if anyone has Depo headlights in excellent condition and you are planning on doing the CC mod in the future, let's trade. I'll throw up pictures of the lights within the next couple of days.

Seerlah
03-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Maybe if your turn signal bulbs weren't amber, it may sway your opinion.

99blueb5
03-07-2011, 03:07 PM
yeah change those orange bulbs to either clear ones of silver ones, it makes a world of difference, ive never seen a car that didnt look good with clear corners

TMatthews
03-07-2011, 03:07 PM
I actually sprayed the amber bulbs with some silver gloss after the install and it does look much better, but I'm still on the fence. Too close to rice for comfort, haha. Way biased against that style. I'll take some pictures and see what your opinions are, hibiscus by the way.

Seerlah
03-07-2011, 03:23 PM
I actually sprayed the amber bulbs with some silver gloss after the install and it does look much better, but I'm still on the fence. Too close to rice for comfort, haha. Way biased against that style. I'll take some pictures and see what your opinions are, hibiscus by the way.

It isn't a style. It is basically trying to portray the vehicle as if it is still in Europe. They don't have ambers like we do. Ironically, some over there look to the US spec headlights with the ambers as an upgrade. Go figure. Same thing applies to the Euro (style) trunk.

perm2008
03-07-2011, 03:32 PM
ill trade if you want

coolgraymemo
03-07-2011, 03:34 PM
I really like my E-Codes. But ambers do look good on some cars.

CCA4
03-07-2011, 06:54 PM
I've almost done the CC mod several times, but this is what i'm worried about. I'll probably just end up picking up a pair of e-codes so I can swap them whenever I feel like it.

VMRWheels
03-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Let's see the pictures and see what the masses have to say :)

As someone mentioned earlier, it's always interesting that people seem to gravitate towards what they don't have. Clear corners from OEM? Time to go amber! Amber corners from factory? Must do clear!

MikeD7
03-07-2011, 08:12 PM
I have the ones pictured in the middle. They are aftermarket clear cornered projectors made by Valeo. They look amazing and I have had tons of complement on them

http://www.lltek.com/PRS_bin/PRS_66_VAL_ecodes_instck.htm

mikehawk666
03-07-2011, 08:54 PM
took me five months to CC. after I did it I asked myself, why did I wait this long? it's a great mod that makes the car look that much better. but, that's just my opinion..

anyhow, pics so we can judge!

TMatthews
03-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Let's see the pictures and see what the masses have to say :)

As someone mentioned earlier, it's always interesting that people seem to gravitate towards what they don't have. Clear corners from OEM? Time to go amber! Amber corners from factory? Must do clear!

Haha, exactly. Well put. I'll take some quick photos and put them up here for you guys tomorrow.

wesleyfbm
03-08-2011, 12:16 AM
amber FTW
id never go back to cc mod...kinda looks cheesy IMO

Seerlah
03-08-2011, 02:54 AM
I have the ones pictured in the middle. They are aftermarket clear cornered projectors made by Valeo. They look amazing and I have had tons of complement on them

http://www.lltek.com/PRS_bin/PRS_66_VAL_ecodes_instck.htm

They aren't after aftermarket. Valeo is OEM for our vehicles, and those are simply Euro spec units and not US spec. I have Valeo Ecode with a H7 55w 5000k HID kit. One of my favorite mods.

CCA4
03-08-2011, 06:38 AM
amber FTW
id never go back to cc mod...kinda looks cheesy IMO

I think euro housings that are SUPPOSED to have clear corners look tits, but I agree, the CC mod can look hacked and cheesy if not done well. I think its the little black holes left behind after you remove the reflector

somebody5788
03-08-2011, 06:50 AM
I've always thought CC's looked hacked just because it leaves 3 holes and this huge cut out in the shape of the headlight. All just to have no amber lens.... E-codes or OEM FTW

viceprp
03-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Lets see some picutes. I'll trade.

TMatthews
03-08-2011, 03:01 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/eharr9.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2dsntee.jpg

Here you go...

biketsai
03-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Looks good! IMO a lot cleaner

Seerlah
03-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Maybe you need to get rid of your amber side signal lenses? I replaced mine with smoked ones, but my car is brilliant black. I say keep it cleared and get some clear side signal lenses. Just an opinion, though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-1998-AUDI-B5-A4-CLEAR-SIDE-MARKER-LIGHT-1997-96-98-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZYearQ3a1998Q7cModelQ3aA4QQ hashZitem1c19f50626QQitemZ120694572582QQptZMotorsQ 5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I was also wondering, why did you buy the Depo with the amber and not the Ecode version, if you were going to CC them anyways? And what type of bulb you running? I find that the complete package makes a difference.

Edit: That car is also begging for a decent drop

BlackLock_A4
03-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Looks good! Clean car man. +1 for drop, that will look prime.

dirtyb5a4
03-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Maybe you need to get rid of your amber side signal lenses? I replaced mine with smoked ones, but my car is brilliant black. I say keep it cleared and get some clear side signal lenses. Just an opinion, though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-1998-AUDI-B5-A4-CLEAR-SIDE-MARKER-LIGHT-1997-96-98-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZYearQ3a1998Q7cModelQ3aA4QQ hashZitem1c19f50626QQitemZ120694572582QQptZMotorsQ 5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I was also wondering, why did you buy the Depo with the amber and not the Ecode version, if you were going to CC them anyways? And what type of bulb you running? I find that the complete package makes a difference.

This is exactly what I did on my brilliant black a4. Except I bought clear corners for my 2 piece headlights Instead of switching to the one piece ones

TMatthews
03-08-2011, 03:24 PM

I had an opportunity to pick up a set of Deops at a discounted price and took advantage of it but after a while the amber had to go. I think you're right about the side markers although I'm having a hard time finding a legitimate set, not many people sell clears anymore. Skeptical of throwing anything I find on ebay on my car.

Haha, I hear you. I have some serious clearance underneath my car. In terms of the drop, Coilovers are on order from AMI. Coming up on two weeks since the order was placed but when they're here I'll take another set of pictures for everyone.

Appreciate the comments, thanks guys.

Seerlah
03-08-2011, 03:30 PM
I have ST coilovers on my vehicle. Very decent coilover system. I also placed a link in my previous post with Helix side signal covers. If I am not mistaken, Depo And Helix are the same company.

TMatthews
03-08-2011, 03:45 PM
I have ST coilovers on my vehicle. Very decent coilover system. I also placed a link in my previous post with Helix side signal covers. If I am not mistaken, Depo And Helix are the same company.

Awesome find, going to order a pair now. Thanks dude.

I picked up a set of ST coilovers as well. You're happy with them? We'll see how much longer it takes for them to arrive.

Seerlah
03-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Very happy with them. I purchased them from a huge group buy when they were first introduced. There are a lot of AZ members, including myself, who jumped on the GB. But back then, there were more options to choose from and they offered lifetime warranties on them (those who purchased then are still entitled, with proof of purchase date: reciept). Mine are for the B5 S4. They had 2.8 and 1.8t versions also. I chose this one for the stiffer spring rate. But now, I think they only have one system for the B5 with Quattro (whether it is 1.8t, 2.8, or 2.7tt).

coolgraymemo
03-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I think it looks much better.

paulorama
03-08-2011, 04:42 PM
What fogs are those? How did you attach them to the prefacelift bumper?

mikehawk666
03-08-2011, 05:24 PM
clear front bulbs and clear side markers will make it look better! doesn;t look bad to me

Seerlah
03-09-2011, 02:14 AM
Hey man, just saw your FS thread in the classifieds. I take it you don't plan on sticking with them? or maybe these are different units. And Depo is not OEM, if these are the same units. Valeo is.

Edit: If they are different ones in the ad, please pardon this post.

viceprp
03-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Don't lets these haters hate .. trade me your CC ;-)

TMatthews
03-09-2011, 07:19 AM
What fogs are those? How did you attach them to the prefacelift bumper?

I grabbed a set of OEM A4 fogs from Brokedown. If you pull the bumper grilles you can see holes for the fog light to mount up to, but there is no bracket. I picked up some self tapping screws and set it up. The only catch is relocating the horn which isn't difficult at all, actually ghetto rigged it with a zip-tie a little higher up, haha. Tap into your pre-facelift foglight wire and you're good to go.

viceprp don't lets these haters hate .. trade me your CC ;-)

Haha, I hear you. I'm going to sit on them for a couple of days and install the clear sidemarkers. I'll definitely keep you posted.