PDA

View Full Version : stock alarm quality

BlackOne.eight
03-18-2005, 08:36 PM
recently three cars were broken onto on my street, but mine was untouched. is the stock audi alarm good, and a possable reason the theifs did not try to break in? i am pretty sure a broken windows wouldnt set it off, what is everyones experiance with stock audi alarm. btw the other cars broken into were stock and small stuf was only stolen. its prolly just some dumb kids.

OverSpun
03-18-2005, 08:46 PM
stock b5 alarm and quality should never be used in the same sentence unless the word low is used before quality. get an aftermarket alarm with some kind of disabling device, the b5 alarm is crap.

pierce
03-18-2005, 08:58 PM
The only reason I like it is because of the motion sensors. I plan on upgrading to a Viper system when I get the funds.

VRsic
03-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Stock alarms are basically keyless entry tied into your horn. They are worthless in every sense of the word. Do not rely on it, for you may find out the hard way...

fanuvbrak
03-18-2005, 09:08 PM
it doesn't matter what kind of alarm you have, if someone wants in bad enough, they'll get in.

the best alarm is a garage.

jones3000
03-18-2005, 09:21 PM
The "stock alarm" in an audi is not low quality. The alarm itself works as it's designed to, but an alarm alone may not prevent theft. An alarm coupled with some type of immobilizer is a much better defense. And that's what's missing.

A car thief may "want your car bad enough" but the name of the game is for them not to be seen or raise suspicion. A small bliking light may be the difference between you and the next guy.

A garage is only a good idea if you don't ever plan on leaving your house.

BlackOne.eight
03-18-2005, 09:27 PM
yea.. i had to park it on the street tonight...really fearin a break in

GOROSSI46
03-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Just don't leave anything in your car that could appeal to thieves. After having every car I have owned stolen I have come to the conclusion that no alarm will stop a thieve. If they want it , its theirs.

1.8Titorey
03-18-2005, 11:37 PM
get one of those bars that locks your brake to your steering wheel.

derek2079
03-19-2005, 01:28 AM
get a ****ing gun and camp out

BoostinA4
03-19-2005, 09:22 AM
put a car cover over your car and paint a geo metro on the side of it

JMG
03-19-2005, 09:29 AM
the stock alarm is only good for one thing... keyless entry. I don't even call it an alarm.

dualaudi
05-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Anyone else have a problem with the alarm going off if your windows are down?

what is that dust particles effecting the sensors?

and windows don't have to be open all the way just cracked...

any fix for this?

jent
05-01-2005, 01:44 AM
it happens with mine as well...you can disable your moton sensor by the switch right behind the drivers side seat

BranCKY3
05-01-2005, 02:06 AM
I can't seem to turn my motion sensor on. The switch on the side of the seat doesn't light up or anything when I hit it.

recordstyle
05-01-2005, 03:31 AM
check out the manual on how to disable it - you cant just hit the button and consider it off - you need to close the door... lock it, etc etc (dont recall details just yet)

BranCKY3
05-01-2005, 03:39 AM
Yea I figured there's a special trick to it, but I don't have a user manual.

voodooA4
05-01-2005, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by dualaudi
Anyone else have a problem with the alarm going off if your windows are down?

what is that dust particles effecting the sensors?

and windows don't have to be open all the way just cracked...

any fix for this?

the motion sensors actually work like microphones, in that they detect pressure waves from movement of the air in the car. if the windows are up, then the air in the car is still...if you leave the windows down on a windy day, it will blow against them and trip the alarm...

BranCKY3
05-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Can anybody give me details on how to enable the sensors? I can't find anything in search and I don't have a manual.

voodooA4
05-01-2005, 10:54 PM
the motion sensors? they are on by default...there is a little button between the driver's door, and the rear driver's side door that will enable/disable the motion sensors...

pierce
05-02-2005, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by B5Ghost
The "stock alarm" in an audi is not low quality. The alarm itself works as it's designed to, but an alarm alone may not prevent theft. An alarm coupled with some type of immobilizer is a much better defense. And that's what's missing.

A car thief may "want your car bad enough" but the name of the game is for them not to be seen or raise suspicion. A small bliking light may be the difference between you and the next guy.

A garage is only a good idea if you don't ever plan on leaving your house.

[up] [up] .

The stock alarms are pretty damn good for stock. None of my friends' cars, that I know of, have motion sensors as good as mine. I realize it's not the best alarm, but I have no complaints.

recordstyle
05-02-2005, 06:31 PM
F ! my alarm woke me up today for the third day in a weeks time beepin its head off... only to be the only car on the block, no people around, with the wind outside to blame. (AND i shut off the motion sensor earlier in the week...!!!)

i know this topic gets asked every now and then - but searching the archives didnt bring me any answers, anyone else have this annoying glitch? or problem? (is it THAT sensitive, or should i take it to get checked out)...this is ridiculous - 4 times a day sometimes, etc... ARGH!

bitterchild
05-02-2005, 08:55 PM
close your windows

recordstyle
05-02-2005, 09:12 PM
yeah...they're closed. i dont have any rooftop open, window open, etc.. do you think the sensor's are faulty?

dualaudi
05-05-2005, 09:33 PM
voodooA4

Thanks for that real answer... now i understand... DAMN SENSOR!