PDA

View Full Version : W/M questions

ricekikr
03-07-2011, 01:10 AM
1. Are the progressive kits really worth the extra $100? (around $250 regular / $350 progressive) - With low boost to full boost in 500rpms, I don't see the benefit.

2. What brand do you use? (Snow, Cooling Mist, Devil's Own, AEM 150psi pump only, AlcoholInjection nice expensive tank)

3. Are the newer 250psi pumps really better, when, I assume, the 150psi pumps are used for most builds here?

4. What size tank do you use? Does it last one full tank of fuel?

5. Is it baffled? Which brand tank?

6. Do you run 100% meth, 50% w/m, 100% water?

7. Where's the cheapest place that sells them?

TIA[:D]

EDIT: AEM actually phased out the 150psi pump and sells the 250psi pump on its newer kits.

zrowcool
03-08-2011, 12:52 PM
TTT- I actually want to find out more info on this as well. I know its all the rave in DSM world and a bunch of B5S4 guys are running W/M as well.
I understand the benefits of running W/M as well as some of the cons such as the throttle bodies going bad as well as washing the walls and contaminating the oil.
I, like the OP want more info on the kits that are available and why one kit is better than the other.

Lapkritis
03-08-2011, 01:10 PM
1. Are the progressive kits really worth the extra $100? (around $250 regular / $350 progressive) - With low boost to full boost in 500rpms, I don't see the benefit.

Depends on application, there is no right or wrong answer.

2. What brand do you use? (Snow, Cooling Mist, Devil's Own, AEM 150psi pump only, AlcoholInjection nice expensive tank)
I've used a Snow with the MAF controller and loved it on an ABA T3 60trim at 20psi. I use an Aquamist fast acting valve controlled by megasquirt with a Snow pump and 1 gallon tank on my vr6t. Both systems used either the snow red juice or walmart -20 washer fluid depending on what I had on hand.

3. Are the newer 250psi pumps really better, when, I assume, the 150psi pumps are used for most builds here?
The 150 work fine. The higher the pressure the finer the atomization but I don't know that you'll see a significant difference between the two if 150 has proven to be sufficient.

4. What size tank do you use? Does it last one full tank of fuel?

1 gal tank could last several tanks of fuel depending on how you have the system setup to operate. I've also burned through a gal of wm in half a tank driving aggressively though.

5. Is it baffled? Which brand tank?

Unbaffled generic tank on m vr6t and used the OEM washer resevoir on the ABA.

6. Do you run 100% meth, 50% w/m, 100% water?

-20F Washer fluid.

7. Where's the cheapest place that sells them?
Probly ebay but cheaper isn't how I buy performance parts normally.

TIA[:D]

EDIT: AEM actually phased out the 150psi pump and sells the 250psi pump on its newer kits.[/QUOTE]

ricekikr
03-08-2011, 06:57 PM
^ More questions [:)]
Forgot to mention the throttle issue. Are you DBC or DBW? There was a DBW thread wherein the w/m seeped into the built-in electronics in the throttle under boost. Did/do you have a similar issue? Or did you just mount the w/m post-throttle?

Lapkritis
03-08-2011, 07:10 PM
DBC on both... the ABA was OBD2 so it has the stepper motor built into the throttle body and is quite similar to the DBW. No issues but if you have the means then I would suggest direct port or immediately after the butterfly on the TB for the nozzle location.

goodhews
03-08-2011, 07:32 PM
I have a snow performance stage 2 kit that i got from a friend. I used it about 1 week before i decided to go to a big turbo. I keep the methanol in the windshield washer fluid tank, so when it gets low i have a warning light on my dash. I use snow performances own "boost juice (http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=3)" but that is because i have about 20 1gallon jugs of it. Once it is gone i will probly just buy a barrel of methanol and mix it 50/50 myself

I talked to scott @ usrt a few years ago and he explained nozzle placement
From what i have heard running only a nozzle after the throttle body doesn't do much. Meth lowers iat's and boost octane both. The closer it is to the intake the less it cools and the more it boost octane, where as the farther it is from the intake the more it cools and the less it affects octane. So with only one nozzle you need to find the sweet spot to balance in between. Or you can run a dual nozzle which is kinda best of both worlds. You mount one nozzle after the tb and the other farther from the tb.
scotts kit http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_68&products_id=299

if you mount the nozzle after the tb you need special solenoid that prevents the methanol siphoning into your intake on it's own
http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_68&products_id=37

Issam@INA offers a throttle body adapter with a place in it for a meth nozzle. Which if you want to go the dual nozzle way i really recommend, because with a larger tb is nice :)

ricekikr
03-08-2011, 07:56 PM
DBC on both... the ABA was OBD2 so it has the stepper motor built into the throttle body and is quite similar to the DBW. No issues but if you have the means then I would suggest direct port or immediately after the butterfly on the TB for the nozzle location.

Great. Thanks for the info [:)]

I talked to scott @ usrt a few years ago and he explained nozzle placement
From what i have heard running only a nozzle after the throttle body doesn't do much. Meth lowers iat's and boost octane both. The closer it is to the intake the less it cools and the more it boost octane, where as the farther it is from the intake the more it cools and the less it affects octane. So with only one nozzle you need to find the sweet spot to balance in between. Or you can run a dual nozzle which is kinda best of both worlds. You mount one nozzle after the tb and the other farther from the tb.
scotts kit http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_68&products_id=299

if you mount the nozzle after the tb you need special solenoid that prevents the methanol siphoning into your intake on it's own
http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_68&products_id=37

Issam@INA offers a throttle body adapter with a place in it for a meth nozzle. Which if you want to go the dual nozzle way i really recommend, because with a larger tb is nice :)

Yeah that's why I wanted to mount it pre-throttle, but if its gona mess up the throttle I don't mind losing a lil performance for durability. Where did you mount your nozzle? Any problems?

I have a v6 throttle (not yet installed). Since I have to take of the manifold to port match, I'll probably just tap the nozzle to the manifold and save $50. [:)] (unless USRT has a v6 to aeb adapter with meth, I don't see it in their site)

Re solenoid, I read that the check valve (included in all the kits) does the job well and the solenoid holds the pressure (180psi) in the line which "may be" bad for the pump, accdg to a post of one of the manufacturers, forgot who/where exactly.

TIA [:)]

goodhews
03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
i know the snow performance kit doesn't have check valve, or at least mine didn't :( Mine was 7"ish away from the tb, but that was the old setup.My nozzle is currently mounted so the new spot is to be determined. I didn't have any problems with it, and keith had it for a year or 2 with no problems.

What v-6 throttle body are you planning on using?
Issam essentially combines
http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_68&products_id=302
with
http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-components-18t-throttle-body-adapter-18t-to-27tt24v-upgrade-p-570.html
but he can make it for larger throttle bodies also(i think)

The solenoid may be bad for the pump it may not, it may depend on the pum. It was a few years ago that i talked to scott about it so things may have changed. That is about all of my methanol knowledge, hopefully i will have some more next week when my car is moving again

ricekikr
03-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Oh ok. So not all are affected with the throttle issue. Btw you can buy a check valve from any of the meth vendors. It looks like its a standard thing now.

I'll be mounting the throttle directly to the manifold. Plug the old bolt holes, match the manifold to throttle, tap new bolt holes. Will probably cost me $20, instead of $88 for the adapter.

For the meth adapter $70ish is too much, I'll just tap it directly to the manifold when I install the throttle (free or maybe $3).

viceprp
03-09-2011, 04:30 PM
I'll be running dual nozzle setup when the time comes and looks like I'll be using the wiper reservoir. From what I thought I read, the wipers will no longer work when utilizing the reservoir. I want to have the firewall / washer fluid sensor so I'm not running it in the trunk.

Could I still have washer fluid ran to my windsheild if I disconnect the headlight washer and have the meth run from there?

goodhews
03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
if you wanted to spray methanol all over your windshield you could. Your washer reservoir will be full of methanol so there isn't any way to keep the windshield washer system. I have the windshield washer pumps unplugged so i don't spray it on my windshield on accident.

But that will not affect your windshield wipers.

viceprp
03-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Well washer fluid (-20) can be ran with a w/m system. That's why I ask if it could serve a dual purpose: w/m injection and working washer pump

goodhews
03-09-2011, 05:10 PM
I know that i just wouldn't be a huge fan of it. With my setup it would be possible to do that. My meth pump is hooked up at the lower pump in the reservoir, that was for the headlight washers. But the pump for the windshield is still there and ran to the nozzles.

ricekikr
03-09-2011, 08:34 PM
I want to have the firewall / washer fluid sensor so I'm not running it in the trunk.

Could I still have washer fluid ran to my windsheild if I disconnect the headlight washer and have the meth run from there?

You could transfer the low sensor switch. Most kits have the low sensor available as part of the kit or for cheap. Its also available at ebay for $4. You just have to wire it to light/buzzer or to the meths fail safe system.

The only problem I see if you use the washer reservoir both for meth and windshield, as long as you use fluid compatible for both situations, is you'll run out of meth real quick. The washer reservoir runs out of water quickly just washing the windshield.

I'd be getting a tankless kit, and buy trunk mount tank (around $10) and just wire in a low level sensor ($4)

goodhews
03-09-2011, 08:50 PM
i have a snow tank someone can have. i think it is this http://www.snowperformance.net/product.php?pk=35 but it might be the one smaller one. been a while since i saw it

$teady$upreme
07-18-2011, 03:52 AM
any pics of any of you guys' setups?