PDA

View Full Version : misfire coil pack or icm

outti-a4wd
03-06-2011, 07:18 PM
its acting real funny. i had a misfire i had no cell or flashing cell or any codes i felt a misfire i changes the old plugs it felt better so after i vag.com it i used measuring block 15-16 it showed a misfire cyl 3 so i swapped the coil pack with cyl1 and then it showed a a misfier cyl. 2 in second gear wot starting at 1800rpm till 6000rpm it only misfired one time so i did it again same rpm it showed no misfie in cyl2 it showed a misfire cyl.3 1 misfire through out th pull so i did it again it showed one misfire cyl4 throughout the whole pull it was only 1 misfire. is this looking more like a faulty icm or could all the coils be bad? just wanna get a lil more imput before i spend some money. i also heard that audi had a coil pack recall. what year or model was the recall for?

spyder101
03-06-2011, 11:52 PM
What year is your A4?

outti-a4wd
03-07-2011, 12:05 AM
1997 a4 manuel quattro

spyder101
03-07-2011, 09:25 AM
the coil pack recall wasn't for your year. it looks like the ICM to me.

outti-a4wd
03-07-2011, 11:18 AM
You think the icm I was thinking that because it's random per cylinder and it's not all the time ad I'm pretty sure all the coils can't be bad at random. But If it's the icm wouldn't I have a code or at least a cell?

adr3naline fix
03-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Im not certain that there is an ICM specific code, only misfires that are caused by it.

ECS Tuning-Audi
03-07-2011, 12:39 PM
The main symptom of a bad ICM is usually a constant misfire on cylinder 2.

The connector boots can sometimes be the culprit - try swapping them around ( the rubber part that goes into the plug well)

They are cheap to replace too.

Hope this helps.

Pete

outti-a4wd
03-07-2011, 01:12 PM
The main symptom of a bad ICM is usually a constant misfire on cylinder 2.

The connector boots can sometimes be the culprit - try swapping them around ( the rubber part that goes into the plug well)

They are cheap to replace too.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Hope this helps

Pete

so to replace that will i have to like cut and soder the wires for the new female connector?

ECS Tuning-Audi
03-07-2011, 01:19 PM
so to replace that will i have to like cut and soder the wires for the new female connector?

Not at all.

They pull right off, no cutting or soldering needs to be done.

Here's what I am talking about.

http://c1552172.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/2088_x600.jpg

outti-a4wd
03-07-2011, 11:20 PM
thats for the coil that sit on the spark plug correct?
you say they pull off? i checked those out the kidna look a lil oldon the inside imean the still look like they can create spark but but it seems like that it may be an issue especially the was he misfire's are their not constant at all on a pull from 1800-6k rpm in second gear vag-com states that it misfires 2 in one cyl. then ill do another pull same rpm diffrent gear it will show a diffrent cyl misfire and it will be about the same misfire count i want this fixed. right about now im thinking about 4new coils and a new icm :(

quick question about how much does those run for and do you guys carry them or could i get them from a auto store?

outti-a4wd
03-07-2011, 11:33 PM
at fires i thought you were talking about the connector boot on the icm lol.

my 1.8t
03-08-2011, 02:36 AM
i have a question. is your car runing ruff at idle. im haveing some problems with a very ruff idle and people are saying it could be my ICM also. i also was showing some misfires in 2 cylinders also thats why im asking. just looking at a place to start. i had 2 vaccume leake that i fixed and still idleing really hard.

ECS Tuning-Audi
03-08-2011, 06:59 AM
thats for the coil that sit on the spark plug correct?
you say they pull off? i checked those out the kidna look a lil oldon the inside imean the still look like they can create spark but but it seems like that it may be an issue especially the was he misfire's are their not constant at all on a pull from 1800-6k rpm in second gear vag-com states that it misfires 2 in one cyl. then ill do another pull same rpm diffrent gear it will show a diffrent cyl misfire and it will be about the same misfire count i want this fixed. right about now im thinking about 4new coils and a new icm :(

quick question about how much does those run for and do you guys carry them or could i get them from a auto store?

Yes, you would be correct that is the connector boot for the coil pack that sits on top of the spark plug.

We have them available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information. (http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1727/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply")

Pete

outti-a4wd
03-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Cool I'll give it a try I hope it works out. So what goes out on this part it looks as if the connectivity of it to the spark plug can Corrode creating insufficient amount of spark at wot?

B5RiceEater
03-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Check coil pack connector wiring mines was so bad if u bent the wire its snapped

outti-a4wd
03-09-2011, 07:50 AM
My connector wires are good

ECS Tuning-Audi
03-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Cool I'll give it a try I hope it works out. So what goes out on this part it looks as if the connectivity of it to the spark plug can Corrode creating insufficient amount of spark at wot?

That, or the rubber can crack allowing the electricity to take the path of least resistance and arch off the walls in the plug well which would lead to a misfire.

Easy way to see if this has been happening is if you spot white "burn" marks on the rubber where its been arching.

Pete

Audi Skate Snow
03-09-2011, 10:16 AM
I was having issues and pealed back the harness boot at the connectors. Turned out they were cracked and grounding out.

ordered this from 034. Putting it on this weekend.

http://www.034motorsport.com/oscthumbwm/w/700/h/700/q/95/f/jpg/fltr/wmi|phpThumb/watermarks/034watermark|C|20|0/hash/bbbb2edef660739a6071ab5a4f8a869f/src/images/1.8tRepairHarness1.jpg

outti-a4wd
03-09-2011, 08:10 PM
I was having issues and pealed back the harness boot at the connectors. Turned out they were cracked and grounding out.

http://www.034motorsport.com/oscthumbwm/w/700/h/700/q/95/f/jpg/fltr/wmi|phpThumb/watermarks/034watermark|C|20|0/hash/bbbb2edef660739a6071ab5a4f8a869f/src/images/1.8tRepairHarness1.jpg
that set up looks nice i might just start with that and coil packs and if its the icm replace it then ill have a fresh ignition system an should be good for some miles ill look into it 034motorsport is 15 mins from my house :)

outti-a4wd
03-09-2011, 08:11 PM
how much that set up cost?

my 1.8t
03-13-2011, 08:25 AM
question? i just pealed my boots back and the houseing on the wires were cracked but the actual wire wasnt broken. im haveing a problem with it idleing ruff and im geting some misfire codes. i took it to a place to have the codes done so not sure what cylinders it was but haveing them ran again on wed. do you think if i changed this harnest out and put all new coil packs in, that i would fix this issue. i drove her like 150 miles back home at 75 on the high way all the way home and she ran fine....im just stumpped any suggestions.

my 1.8t
03-13-2011, 08:29 AM
what year was the coil pack recall for?
the coil pack recall wasn't for your year. it looks like the ICM to me.

Audi Skate Snow
03-13-2011, 12:34 PM
question? i just pealed my boots back and the houseing on the wires were cracked but the actual wire wasnt broken. im haveing a problem with it idleing ruff and im geting some misfire codes. i took it to a place to have the codes done so not sure what cylinders it was but haveing them ran again on wed. do you think if i changed this harnest out and put all new coil packs in, that i would fix this issue. i drove her like 150 miles back home at 75 on the high way all the way home and she ran fine....im just stumpped any suggestions.

hard to say. My issue was I kept blowing the ECM fuse the second I tried to start the car. I pealed back the wires and made sure none were touching... then started the car. It got rid of the misfires and stopped blowing the fuse. So in my case it did fix my misfire issue as well as other issues.

The harness is 185 bucks from 034. It is really clean. USP motorsports sells harnesses also but its individual coil pack harness there is a lot of cutting, soldering to do with them.

my 1.8t
03-13-2011, 04:24 PM
well on my year car i dont have a icm there build into each coil. so im sure that the issue im haveing is coil packs. i get my car vac-com on wed and that will tell me more.
hard to say. My issue was I kept blowing the ECM fuse the second I tried to start the car. I pealed back the wires and made sure none were touching... then started the car. It got rid of the misfires and stopped blowing the fuse. So in my case it did fix my misfire issue as well as other issues.

The harness is 185 bucks from 034. It is really clean. USP motorsports sells harnesses also but its individual coil pack harness there is a lot of cutting, soldering to do with them.

outti-a4wd
03-18-2011, 05:59 PM
I check the ohms on my icm the 5 pin size and the reading #1 (0.6) #2 (0.5) #3 (0.2) #4 (0.5) #5(0.1)
shouldnt they read about the same all the way across the pins or be at least .1 off?

bmarshall
03-19-2011, 08:23 PM
A faulty or shorting coil will kill the ICM as it will draw too much current.
This happened to mine.
Check primary coil resistance on all coils and get a new ICM.

outti-a4wd
04-13-2011, 09:20 PM
just wanted to post a update i swapped out the icm with the huco brand it smooth out the irratic misfire a lil bit but its still their i also ordered new coil packs and spark plug boots if that dosent fix it i might look into getting the harness from 034 but i really hope that the coils will fix the problem im getting fed up lol. ill updated when the coil packs come in.

T0mat3
04-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Lol should just of bought an oem push down style harness with coilpacks. Would be been cheaper then the icm. Takes about 1 hour to solder it in. The 034 one is just plain stupid expensive. Bought mine at the dealer 65 Canadian. Also, the deutsche plug on the 034 requires a special crimping tool to crimp the pins into the wires, unless you solder them.

Sent from my Liquid using Tapatalk

outti-a4wd
04-16-2011, 06:43 PM
got the coil packs intoday and no misfire i figured out that the problem what the spark plug boot the connector in ther that sits on the spark plug was not in contact with the spark plug witch caused misfires under wot the new boots connects to the spark plug great so its good. not i can start back playing with my turbo and dress up parts happy with my audi now. ;)

outti-a4wd
04-17-2011, 04:11 PM
ok i thought tha fixed it but it did not, i drove mycar today andits misfiring verry bad i still dont have a cell light im also gettting a evap leak decetion pump fail could that have any thing to do with the issue. i dont know what to do next i got new ngk plugs and gapped them also got new icm and four new coil packs im getting so pissed with this issue i want o take it to the stealership but i kno its gonna cost some money for the fix and the parts any one have any idea what it could be???

outti-a4wd
04-17-2011, 04:21 PM
I also have a new mas air flow all parts are brand new and not used.

outti-a4wd
04-17-2011, 10:51 PM
could it be a crank position sensor or egt, cam positon sensor or rpm sensor, oil sludg and carbon build up. i heard these could cause this problem as well. im fustrated with this issue. how many hours u hink it would take audi to pin point this problem.

outti-a4wd
04-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Just contacted audi Dublin ca. They want 160per hr per complaint I have a evap leak detection and also random misfire thats 320 just to look at my car not even fix it. Bump

outti-a4wd
04-18-2011, 01:33 PM
And that rate is if it takes then 1hour per complaint to find the problem.

ECS Tuning-Audi
04-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Most misfire issues are caused by a weak link in the ignition system. Although those other suggestions may be possible but its rare.

You can do pretty much all the trouble shooting with the ignition system yourself.

Do not pay the dealer $160 an hour to do the things everyone has suggested in this thread!

Jason

outti-a4wd
04-18-2011, 05:52 PM
i think next ill check out tha wire harness and hit up the fuel filter.

outti-a4wd
04-22-2011, 10:10 PM
bump, could clogged fuel filter cause this problem as well??

murdered APR a4
04-22-2011, 11:08 PM
possibly, it would limit the amount of fuel you would get but it wouldn't be so random you know? i would definitely try finding your problem with the ignition first. 160 per hour is pure anal rape....excuse my french.

outti-a4wd
04-23-2011, 01:01 PM
160 pre complaing is rape no lube stright up, good news is that i found a shop that charges 95an hour and i made sure that they have the tools to work on our car and i told the tech what i did so far and asked what would he do so he knew i had some tech know how so he said before i bring it to him to change to fuel filter and if that dont work the frist thing they do to b4 is change the ignition harness so i glad their is still shops out their like that that are good and honest i called alot of places they dnt have the right tools for our cars and they dnt wanna tell me what to swap out they just kept saying to bring it in so i was just wondering if fuel could cause this because its only WOT. lol one shop said i could have low compression in my cylenders lol i doubt that. and i cant fing my pressure checker dammit.