PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Icon wiper blades size

dcc585
03-06-2011, 02:39 PM
I'd like to get replacement Bosch Icon blades as it seems those as the best. (Are they the best?) Which size should I purchase? ECS Tuning has a set, 421A for the driver 421B for the passenger, (link) (http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-V6_30v/Exterior/Wiper/Blades/ES5833/ES5833/). Is that 21inch set-up the best? What do you guys have? I think the Bosch website says 2x 421A but I'm not sure that's accurate.

Thanks!

MikeD7
03-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I have the 21" ones and they work fine. Cant you find them any cheaper than that near you at a store? Those will be $50-60 after shipping knowing ECS's shipping prices

f15046
03-06-2011, 03:03 PM
The Bosch Icon blades are buy one get one free at my local Oreilly's. Check there if you have a store near you.

somebody5788
03-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Whats the difference between the Icon and their Evolution? I have the 2nd one and it looks exactly the same.

revolution337
03-06-2011, 03:21 PM
I just used 421A for both passenger and driver side and it works fine.

walky_talky20
03-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Whats the difference between the Icon and their Evolution? I have the 2nd one and it looks exactly the same.

I was wondering this as well. I use the Icons. Michelins or Rain-X are probably better, but the Icons look the best visually as they cover the hookup mechanism.

somebody5788
03-06-2011, 03:26 PM
I was wondering this as well. I use the Icons. Michelins or Rain-X are probably better, but the Icons look the best visually as they cover the hookup mechanism.

That's the thing, so do mine? I feel like Bosch is selling the Evolutions as Icons and charging a little more lmao

walky_talky20
03-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Did some searching. Both Evolution and Icon are bracketless and look similar, but Evolution is the slightly cheaper variant. The ICON has these additional features:

- FX dual rubber wiping edge (vs. natural rubber on the Evo) for better strength and longer life
- 2 Different tension variants to fit the windshield better and decrease streaking

somebody5788
03-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Did some searching. Both Evolution and Icon are bracketless and look similar, but Evolution is the slightly cheaper variant. The ICON has these additional features:

- FX dual rubber wiping edge (vs. natural rubber on the Evo) for better strength and longer life
- 2 Different tension variants to fit the windshield better and decrease streaking

So basically still it's the same thing they just say it's better lmao. Because the edge design is similar/ the same and the wiper shape is as well. Just sounds like the Icon is supposed to be more even then the evolution and supposedly better edge but that part's debatable as I've usually had better experience with good ol' rubber

keeganhartman
03-06-2011, 04:39 PM
I like the Icons, 21" is right. They last a long time and for $30 last time you can't beat it. Just get wipers when they run deals.

stevejones19
03-06-2011, 06:01 PM
I've actually been running some of the rain-x's that look just like the icons, no bad streaking yet.

The one thing that i like better, and this could just be chance, is that since i have a chip in my windshield, there will always be a streak there. Or so i thought. 2 pairs of the icons streaked form the chip, but noothing from the rain-x's yet...

rAphb0y
03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Bosch ICON size 21" for both sides (driver&passanger) got mine for $30 iirc buy one get one 1/2 off, they are awesome in both rain/snow

walky_talky20
03-06-2011, 06:23 PM
I believe I've been using 21" ICONS for both sides with the "A" tension. I notice a problem where there doesn't seem to enough tension on the outside half the driver's blade (the 10.5" from the center toward the end tip). This problem shows up in heavier rain, when lots of water is pushed into that particular area from the passenger blade. The water piles up and the driver's blade is helpless move it all (on top of the water it is already pushing from the driver's half of the windshield. This leads to a section that is not adequately wiped (ahem...). I was thinking about trying the "B" blade, but it sounds like that is usually spec'ed for the passenger side, as that side has to deal with for curvature.

I suppose maybe I'll just try the Evo's if I can find them. I've also heard about the new Michelin "Stealth" wiper blades, which are supposed to be pretty good. Anybody try those yet?

mysman
01-10-2014, 09:21 AM
FYI, Bosch Icon at Autozone, buy one, get one free

walky_talky20
01-10-2014, 02:06 PM
I got some Rain-X Latitude blades for this winter. Seem pretty good so far, but quite as pretty as the ICON's.

Cybersombosis
01-10-2014, 05:09 PM
I upgraded to the Aero set from the stealership. The same set as the one on ECS. I'm on the same set of blades for the last 2 years. I can't express how impressed I am with the OEM Audi wiper blades. They are still wiping very cleanly. Love the low profile of the wiperarm and blade. It tucks nicely below the hood and windshield when viewed from inside and doesn't stick up. I would recommend this upgrade for anyone in a rainy environment like the PNW. Well worth it as a Christmas gift to my car a couple years ago.

http://www3.telus.net/~dougkong/Audi/aero1.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/~dougkong/Audi/aero2.JPG

http://www3.telus.net/~dougkong/Audi/aero3.jpg

Doug

Mad Cow
01-10-2014, 05:12 PM
I upgraded to the Aero set from the stealership. The same set as the one on ECS. I'm on the same set of blades for the last 2 years. I can't express how impressed I am with the OEM Audi wiper blades. They are still wiping very cleanly. Love the low profile of the wiperarm and blade. It tucks nicely below the hood and windshield when viewed from inside and doesn't stick up. I would recommend this upgrade for anyone in a rainy environment like the PNW. Well worth it as a Christmas gift to my car a couple years ago.

For all you junkyard hunters, these are the OEM blades and arms from the B5.5 Passat. I'm definitely going this direction once I find a pair.

Scientist
01-13-2014, 11:32 AM
FYI, Bosch Icon at Autozone, buy one, get one free

Correction: Buy one, get the second at 50% off. I stopped yesterday.

Scientist
01-13-2014, 11:33 AM
I got some Rain-X Latitude blades for this winter. Seem pretty good so far, but quite as pretty as the ICON's.

That's what I buy twice a year. $9.49 at Walmart.