PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning in my '96 A4

kenji422
03-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Now I've posted before on my heater issues, but I toughed it out in the winter, now summer is coming and it gets f***ing hot in Baltimore! Now that temps have been in the 60s I've turned my A/C on to see if THAT even works, and nope....its just not blowing too cold! Is this another nightmare scenario involving getting behind the dash? I've been told I can just "recharge" the a/c w/ some refrigerant, and this should be done by a pro, because its a pressurized system. Long question short:

-Whats the best case scenario in price?
-Whats the worst case in price?

Thanks in advance for your input! And Walkytalky I know youre gonna chime in cause you seem like a pro in these things!

asalviob5laser
03-06-2011, 09:08 AM
best case is 60 bucks for a charge. that will leak out over time. you need to find your leak which could be just an oring. worst case scenario is 1500 for a new evaporator

stevejones19
03-06-2011, 09:30 AM
best case is 60 bucks for a charge. that will leak out over time. you need to find your leak which could be just an oring. worst case scenario is 1500 for a new evaporator

Who said it was a leak? I've done some research on this because it doesn't work in mine currently either. There are a few on-board diagnostics you can check through your HVAC to see if you have a real problem.

But I also remember reading that if your refrigerant gets low, the a/c won't come on. I guess in a way to protect itself. I just never got mine re-charged, so i don't have any. Walky_talky may post it first, but i'll try to find the write up. its on audiworld.

Unlocking the Secrets within the Climate Control Panel ** Its under the interior section of the tech articles.

mr.awesome
03-06-2011, 09:50 AM
those are the good ol' 2.8s right? i had a problem with mine on my a6 where it would sometimes work and others times not. i changed my low side pressure sensor and it work for a while. i believe there was a test you could do involving connecting the two ends of the sensor to see if it was your issue, i.e. if the ac compressor kicked on that would be the problem.

Getoffamybacon
03-06-2011, 12:35 PM
first of all check and see if the compressor clutch is kicking on when you turn the a/c on. if so then you are just a little low on refrigerant. My 97 has had a leak since I bought it years ago that only releases about half the charge over a years time. in that case it is too small to find or worry about.

99blueb5
03-06-2011, 02:04 PM
yes check to see if the compressor is engaging, then you can do a pressure test to see how full the system is at

JB5
04-12-2011, 05:38 PM
yes check to see if the compressor is engaging, then you can do a pressure test to see how full the system is at

What if the Compressor does not engage? should i assume that I'm completely empty or would my compressor be bad?
I'm working on my AC as well and cant seem to find where the issue lies. I made sure that the fan works and all the electrical parts of it are good.

JB5
05-03-2011, 09:24 AM
my compressor its bad and wont hold a charge. it's leaking. took to dealer to verify so now i'm in the market for a new compressor. this stinks, specially cause its not a cheap part to find.