PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on motor and tranny mounts please!

eurodevil
03-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Can somebody help me and give me a good brand and maybe decent price place to buy good motor and tranny mounts for a 2000 audi a4. 2.8l v6

I<3S4
03-06-2011, 07:35 AM
www.034motorsport.com

eurodevil
03-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Thank you.

eurodevil
03-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Any good brand i should be looking for...?

blmlozz
03-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Any good brand i should be looking for...?

034 is a good brand. Stern mounts are an alternative, however whichever you choose, $90/engine or $50/tranny is where it's going to be

M-Hood
03-06-2011, 08:01 AM
you might also want to look at the Stern mounts. Other option for motor mounts would be RS4 mounts if you want to stick with OEM. If you search you can also find places selling mount packages that included motor/transmission mounts at a savings.

blmlozz
03-06-2011, 10:31 AM
you might also want to look at the Stern mounts. Other option for motor mounts would be RS4 mounts if you want to stick with OEM. If you search you can also find places selling mount packages that included motor/transmission mounts at a savings.

considering their cost, I can't see any reason to go with RS4 mounts anymore. There are softer stern and 034 options at 3/4's the cost. *espically* with 034's making OEM mounts with stiffer rubber. That pretty much covers the 'OEM only' crowd.

zrowcool
03-06-2011, 11:26 AM
i got the stern package of the "soft" motor mounts and pro mount tranny mounts. I got a great deal from ringerracing.com and absolutely love the way it feels more planted. i installed the power ring and diff bushings as well and the entire driveline feels more planted.

JumboBlack1.8
03-06-2011, 11:31 AM
I've got some oem RS4 mounts for sale. Low miles. PM me if you're interested

M-Hood
03-06-2011, 01:27 PM
considering their cost, I can't see any reason to go with RS4 mounts anymore. There are softer stern and 034 options at 3/4's the cost. *espically* with 034's making OEM mounts with stiffer rubber. That pretty much covers the 'OEM only' crowd.

Yes I know all about the Stern and 034 Mounts.
I was just giving another option since some peolpe like to go OEM and since he is a 2.8 it would be pointless for him to buy OEM S4 mounts seeing that they are the exact same thing as his 2.8 mounts.

blmlozz
03-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Yes I know all about the Stern and 034 Mounts.
I was just giving another option since some peolpe like to go OEM and since he is a 2.8 it would be pointless for him to buy OEM S4 mounts seeing that they are the exact same thing as his 2.8 mounts.
My friend, these are $5-6K cars, not Bentley's. Point me to this person that will pay more for less knowingly and I will laugh. Hard. It's not as if you can even tell the difference between a 034 and RS4 externally on or off the car.

The 034's have better rubber, and have steel bottoms instead of aluminum ones. They're literally better in every way.

M-Hood
03-06-2011, 05:50 PM
My friend, these are $5-6K cars, not Bentley's. Point me to this person that will pay more for less knowingly and I will laugh. Hard. It's not as if you can even tell the difference between a 034 and RS4 externally on or off the car.

The 034's have better rubber, and have steel bottoms instead of aluminum ones. They're literally better in every way.

You seem to be talking to me like I am some noob and that my friend is just too funny.

I am not telling the person they should go buy OEM RS4 mounts, just saying it is an option which is exactly what the OP was asking for. I have seen plenty people buying RS4 mounts over the years. So my post wasn't about what is THE best mounts to go with, but giving options for the OP to choose from.

I already know the Stern and 034 mounts are better then OEM, maybe that is why I run both their products on my car and suggest their products to people every single day. Difference is I run solid mounts all the way around. I have also known Mike at Stern since he started his business in his garage and known Javad personally for about 6 years which happens to custom tune my 800+chp A4 1.8t. lol

Seerlah
03-06-2011, 06:01 PM
RS4 mounts are def not worth their price, unless used (which Jumboblack is offering). I just picked up a set of "used" 034 Street Density motor mounts and a used street density passenger's side tranny mount. Going to source out a used driver's side, or just buy brand new if I turn up fruitless. Would I have gone this route if this deal didn't pop up? Nope.

Also, I bought a set of brand new Street density motor mounts a couple months back, and they were defective. The bottom stud of one of the mounts was dislodged from the mount. And not loose by a spline or something in that manner. But basically cracked and fell off of the bottom of the mount. The person I purchased them from gave me full refund, but just something to remember. If I were to buy outright brand new, I would go Stern all the way. Why? Lifetime warranty. If someting happens to these mounts I picked up that happened to what I purchased a few months back, I'm basically a**ed out and will take the loss.

blmlozz
03-06-2011, 06:11 PM
You seem to be talking to me like I am some noob and that my friend is just too funny.

I would like for you to explain to me why RS4's are a legitimate mount. Aside from the sake of suggesting them.

I already know the Stern and 034 mounts are better then OEM, maybe that is why I run both their products on my car and suggest their products to people every single day. Difference is I run solid mounts all the way around. I have also known Mike at Stern since he started his business in his garage and known Javad personally for about 6 years which happens to custom tune my 800+chp A4 1.8t. lol
I'm not sure why you're trying to prove yourself. I asked for a resonable answer as to why you believe RS4's are worth purchasing aside from being bought from the Dealership.

M-Hood
03-06-2011, 07:11 PM
People go with RS4 mounts because they are not fluid filled like the rest of the OEM B5 mounts and the fact is some people like to stick with OEM Audi parts. Not sure how hard that is to understand.
What I find funny is that you act like the OEM RS4 mounts are 2-3 times more expensive. We are talking $95 vs $130. Not sure what that little price difference has to do with our cars not being bentley's.

viceprp
03-06-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm running 034 street density motor and tranny mounts and love them. Slight vibration at idle and smooth as butter above 1200 RPMs. Not engine movement and you can feel it holding around sharp corners and WOT.

D's Avant
03-06-2011, 07:33 PM
I was very happy with the Sterns I had on my B5. A really locked down motor with slight vibrations at idle.

blmlozz
03-07-2011, 03:15 AM
People go with RS4 mounts because they are not fluid filled like the rest of the OEM B5 mounts and the fact is some people like to stick with OEM Audi parts. Not sure how hard that is to understand.
What I find funny is that you act like the OEM RS4 mounts are 2-3 times more expensive. We are talking $95 vs $130. Not sure what that little price difference has to do with our cars not being bentley's.

I've made my points, we're just going in circles now.

ricekikr
03-07-2011, 03:50 AM
I can't see any reason to go with RS4 mounts anymore. There are softer stern and 034 options at 3/4's the cost.

You actually said the main reason some people buy RS4 mounts. There was one person who said he didn't like Stern mounts because it made the car feel old (probably because of the vibration @idle)

I on the other hand went with Stern "soft" mounts. They're great, but the vibration at idle can get irritating. The reason I went with the Stern mounts was mainly because its supposed to be more durable than any rubber mount.

RockyMountainB5
03-07-2011, 11:23 AM
I had the 034 motorsport SOFT mounts on my B5 for a while, and i abosolutely hated it.
Made the car vibe like crazy at idle - not a luxury feel, and passengers also hated it.
It did, however, make the car shift better, and eliminated any "clunking" of the tranny back and forth.
So, if you daily drive it....i would consider just getting new stock mounts.

Seerlah
03-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Did you mark off on the bracket where to place the new mounts?
Did you start the engine and let the mounts settle in a bit before tightening?
Did you give the mounts a fair enough break in period?

All these will have a great contribution to how the mounts transfer vibration. If you just bolt them in, drive for like 1000 miles, and come to a conclusion that you don't like them, then you have not even given them a chance. I expect vibrations once I first get mine installed, but I also expect that to change within a couple thousand miles. I have also noticed, that some take longer to break in than others.

ricekikr
03-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Did you mark off on the bracket where to place the new mounts?
Did you start the engine and let the mounts settle in a bit before tightening?
Did you give the mounts a fair enough break in period?

All these will have a great contribution to how the mounts transfer vibration. If you just bolt them in, drive for like 1000 miles, and come to a conclusion that you don't like them, then you have not even given them a chance. I expect vibrations once I first get mine installed, but I also expect that to change within a couple thousand miles. I have also noticed, that some take longer to break in than others.

Me?

1. Yup
2. Yup - A couple of times already, tried to tighten each mount in different order to see if it made it better.
3. Yup - Around 5k miles. It has gotten way better since I first installed it, but still vibrates more than any stock car, including a 10year old diesel I drive with 125miles on it vs my 25miles A4 (not a typo), and I'm still on the stock snub mount and stock driver side tranny mount. (Stern engine mounts both + Stern passenger side tranny mount, but its on a 1.8t so I guess it vibrates more than a v6)

There's a thread somewhere about the Stern mounts causing excessive vibration @idle.

Seerlah
03-07-2011, 05:10 PM
It was actually directed to the the individual that posted above my last post. I also read that thread, and it stated that there the Sterns actually take a while to settle in (could have been more than 5k). So, they should get smoother as time progresses.