PDA

View Full Version : Question about auto-dim mirrors in general and S4 side view mirrors

Corrado_Guy
03-05-2011, 10:46 AM
I have a 2000 1.8T TQM that came with auto-dimming mirrors but they don't work which is an issue. The for sale ad mentioned the car had S4 side mirrors and I was wondering what the difference was between A4 and S4 side mirrors. They are painted body colour and seem to look like the regular mirrors so I was wondering if there was a difference. So, the mirrors do not dim at all, the driver side outside mirror and the rear view are both gold tinted and the passengers side outside mirror is more of a blue. I believe they do not work because the PO replaced the outside mirrors with one standard mirror and one auto-dim and this has caused the system to stop working. Both mirrors adjust properly and both mirrors are heated and I can see them steaming away on cold mornings so I know they both work except for the auto-dim.

I need to get a passengers side auto-dim mirror to complete the set again which is why I was wondering what the difference was between S4 and A4 mirrors. My A4 has the B5 S4 body kit on it so he may have been alluding to this with the mirrors or they may actually be different, not sure and hopefully someone knows so I can get the proper mirror and make this system work.

mholme
03-05-2011, 10:54 AM
The auto dim feature is controlled by the light sensors on the interior rear view mirror. It's not uncommon for any of the mirrors to fail and be replaced by non dimming glass. Auto diming exterior glass should have connections for both heat and dimming on the back side of them and usually have a black rubber trim on the front outer edge.

99blueb5
03-05-2011, 11:18 AM
yeah ive have yet to find a b5 a4 that the auto diming mirrors still work, doesnt concern me at all, they dont really help that much, the rear view is helpfull though if your car is lowered

walky_talky20
03-05-2011, 07:36 PM
All 3 of mine work. I did have to replace the passenger mirror glass. I found it used on ebay for $60. I very much like the dimming for highway driving. I think it is quite nice, but a very expensive system indeed.

As for the "S4" differences, there are none. I believe all of the B5 S4's would have come with the Auto-Dim glass, while it was only an option on the A4's. So he may have swapped on the S4 mirror housings and/or glass to upgrade the car. However, if the A4 did not originally come with outer Auto-Dim glass, there would be no wiring for it to work, though. It can be added, but it is a bit of work. You must run wires to both outside mirrors and to the center mirror. I believe there was a discussion or DIY on this somewhere. The housing may have the wiring, but you would have to check the mirror housing->door connector to see if the Auto-Dim wires were in the harness.

Corrado_Guy
03-05-2011, 09:57 PM
I can confirm for a fact my car came with auto-dim mirrors, I have decoded the option list on the sticker in the trunk and it was on there....

E0A = No special edition
4UB = Air bag for NAR
6XJ = Exterior mirrors: automatically dimming,electrically adjustable/heated
5SG = Left exterior mirror: flat
5RW = Right exterior mirror: convex (US) large viewing field
1KD = Disc brakes, rear
J0L = Battery 340 A (70 Ah)
1LB = Disc brakes, front
1AH = Electronic differential lock (EDL)
1BE = Sports suspension/shock absorption
3FE = Electric slide/tilt sunroof with sun screen/sunblind
5MY = Decorative inserts
7X0 = Without park distance control
4R3 = Power windows with comfort operation
F0A = No special purpose vehicle, standard equipment
0L2 = Electric throttle actuation
8GL = Alternator 120 A
0G1 = Gearshift lever
0YR = Weight range 16 installation control only, no requirement forecast
0JF = Weight category front axle weight range 6
T8B = 4-cylinder gasoline engine 1.8 L unit 058.D
3N7 = code not found :-(
8JD = Headlight with gas discharge lamp for driving on the right (US design)
U1C = Instrument insert with km/h speedometer,clock, tachometer, trip odometer and add. instruments (volt., oil temperat.)
X9B = National sales program Canada
2PV = Leather trimmed sports steering wheel
8Q2 = Automatic headlight-range adjustment static
9Q2 = Multi-function display/on-board computerwith check control
8Z6 = Hot country
D1F = 4-cyl. gasoline engine 1.8 L/110 kW 20V turbo, LEV base engine is T8B
7Q0 = Without navigation device
C6R = Alloy wheels 6J x 17
7K0 = Without tire pressure warning light
4X3 = Side air bag front with curtain air bag
2K2 = Reinforced bumpers
6R2 = Leather gearshift boot
3L3 = Manual height adjustment for front seats
3Y0 = Without roll-up sun screen
4K0 = Radio remote controlled central locking operated from inside
5D2 = Carrier frequency 315 MHz
1SA = Without additional engine guard
Q1A = Standard front seats
4GP = Windshield in heat-insulating glass withsunshield and viewing window for vehicle identification number

The wiring is in the car so this is not a problem but I don't know if the shape of the S4 mirrors are different because my car came with it and the passengers side outside mirror doesn't have it. I may luck out and find that the mirror assembly is for auto-dim and just the glass is non-dimming so it may be a quick swap. If I am going to look for used mirrors/glass I need to know what is directly compatible (ie same shape and fit) to ensure I get one that will work.

teleTay
03-05-2011, 10:08 PM
yeah ive have yet to find a b5 a4 that the auto diming mirrors still work, doesnt concern me at all, they dont really help that much, the rear view is helpfull though if your car is lowered

all three of mine work fine

Insomniac
03-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Only my exterior mirrors dim. The rear view doesn't work, but my windshield has been replaced so I'm curious if that had something to do with it.

slunky
10-09-2014, 08:05 PM
From what I can tell, my rearview has been stuck in "dim" mode since I bought the car. It recently has begun to work, though spotty. Anyone have advice for a fix to this?

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/09/f76f6d69eb1fb4b67860bb26c73f6f92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonsb5a4
10-10-2014, 12:45 PM
From what I can tell, my rearview has been stuck in "dim" mode since I bought the car. It recently has begun to work, though spotty. Anyone have advice for a fix to this?

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/09/f76f6d69eb1fb4b67860bb26c73f6f92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the looks of it in your picture I'd say your mirror is "separating". To my knowledge there is no fix for this other than to buy a new one or find a used one that is in good shape.

Corrado_Guy
10-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Don't ask me, mine are the same as when I posted this. I went as far as removing the trim that hides the wiring on the mirror and then never bother doing anything else. My passengers side is not auto-tinting and the other two are permanently dimmed.