PDA

View Full Version : B5 A4 STIFF trunk lid! Any way to fix this?

SkinnyKidCTL
03-04-2011, 09:14 PM
I have a 2000 A4 (bought in 2001 during a lot's "last year's model inventory clearance").
I bought it in Arizona and don't remember the trunk being as stiff as it has been the last few years. (However after reading a couple other threads it sounds like they're always like that.)
I didn't actually notice how bad it was until I swapped my parents for their pick-up for a week or so and had my Mom tell me she didn't like my car.
My response of course was "How could anyone not like this car!?" She explained that she didn't like using my Audi because it was too hard for her to open and close the trunk. (She said that when she went to the grocery she actually opted to put the groceries in the back seat because it was that hard for her to use.)
I took note of it a little more myself after she pointed it out. I think I didn't notice sooner because the first seven years of owning it I had a different career and drove a company car most of the time. Also, with my new job I use the trunk daily; with the old I very rarely used it for anything other than occassional grocery trip or a suitcase when driving a couple of states away.
I assumed the struts needed to be replaced.
I replaced them today and it honestly feels like it's harder to open and close than it was previously.
I'm a little surprised that such a "high-end" vehicle, or a vehicle in this class, has a trunk that requires so much effort to open and close. (So much so that someone a little older won't even use it.)(My Mom is retired, mid 60's, the car she normally drives is a Mercedes SLK500.)
Apparently it's just their nature, but does anyone know of an aftermarket fix or fab to change this?

M-Hood
03-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Could be the hinge. Did you try closing/opening the trunk while you had the struts off?

Mine has never felt stiff and I too own a 2000 A4 which I have had since April 2000.

DRock3d
03-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Mine is hard to open and close too. I don't think anything of it and just use a little muscle. If it stays like that for more than 4 hours I'd call a doctor.

SkinnyKidCTL
03-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the input guys. ... I did try opening and closing it without the struts, yes. There was a significant difference, but it was still pretty stiff.
I lubed the pivot points also; not much difference though.
I guess I've been muscling it all along and never thought much of it either, until Moms pointed it out to me. Of course I defended my A4 with conviction. :-) So she had me compare it to her SEL500 (I said SLK above but that was incorrect) and my brother's IS300 wow... I'd say it takes at least four times more effort to fully open and close the hatch on my Audi as it does on either one of their cars.
I'm assuming you bought yours new then M-Hood; so the struts are OEM?

99blueb5
03-05-2011, 11:44 AM
all of them are stiff, you could replace the struts, that might help

M-Hood
03-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the input guys. ... I did try opening and closing it without the struts, yes. There was a significant difference, but it was still pretty stiff.
I lubed the pivot points also; not much difference though.
I guess I've been muscling it all along and never thought much of it either, until Moms pointed it out to me. Of course I defended my A4 with conviction. :-) So she had me compare it to her SEL500 (I said SLK above but that was incorrect) and my brother's IS300 wow... I'd say it takes at least four times more effort to fully open and close the hatch on my Audi as it does on either one of their cars.
I'm assuming you bought yours new then M-Hood; so the struts are OEM?

The struts that I took off were my OEM ones that were on the car when I bought it almost 11 years ago.

I have had a CF trunk on my car for some time so thats why I dont have the struts on the car now. Just went out and the CF trunk will pretty much close on its own once it gets past a point, that CF trunk is much lighter then the stock OEM metal trunk.

Maybe she just doesn't like the fact that the trunk has to come toward you before it swings down to close.

coolgraymemo
03-05-2011, 01:13 PM
I just went out to try my trunk and I wouldn't say it is "heavy". But it is not light compared to other cars.

So I think its a regular thing.

Lazer Viking
03-05-2011, 01:36 PM
the trunk on my 99.5 opens really easily, but on my 01 its very stiff

walky_talky20
03-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I think it mostly has to do with the pivot points. I've seen them get really hard, so much that they start wearing out and creating a lot of slop in the hinge. This is more often on the Jetta IV's. One came in to the shop and was so sloppy and worn that the tip of the trunk lid would strike the rear glass when you opened it briskly. Lots of penatrating oil on the pivot points helped it out a bit, but it still wasn't perfect. It would need new hinges. Moral of the story: lube it up now before it gets too far worn out from all the friction. You don't want to be muscling it open and closed, especially if you're using it multiple times a day.

This phenomenon is most probably due to the over-engineered (as always!) trunk hinge system which uses about 4x more pivots than, for instance, a 92 Camry.