PDA

View Full Version : air flow meter setting (no power even chipped in 1 bar)

phd
03-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Since my car (97 1.8T auto B5) rpm is not running smooth, I have brought back the car to my mechanic to check and repair. My mechanic has found it was too dirty on the throttle body and it makes ECU calculate air flow wrongly. My mechanic has clean it up and set the air flow meter back to original.

After I pcik my car back, I feel my car is lack of power; my car has chipped in 1 bar . I don’t feel the car has power compare with previous drive. My question is when the airflow meter has been set back to default, would it erase my chip data?

would you guys give me some advices? thanks

Cheers
PHD

ricekikr
03-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Cleaning the throttle or MAF wouldn't cause the tune/chip to be erased. Your probably in limp mode. Do you have a CEL? Try resetting the ECU.

phd
03-03-2011, 12:09 AM
i only change the SAMCO hose, apr DV. rest of my car is stock. what is the limp mode and how can i reset the ECU?

ricekikr
03-03-2011, 03:58 AM
Do you have a boost gauge? What psi is it at now? If you have a CEL (check engine light) and boost is around 3psi its definitely on limp mode

You could also have a boost leak. Google how to look for a boost leak.

To reset, try removing the negative terminal on the battery for a couple of minutes (not sure if this resets the ECU though). You can also use any OBDII reader or Vagcom.

Do you have any other symptoms other than its slower than normal? (Ie. hesitation, rough idle etc etc etc)

Why not return it to the mechanic, I assume it was boosting fine before he touched it. Make him deal with the problem lol.

phd
03-03-2011, 06:21 AM
if this is on limp mode, what can i do? i may start planning to reset the ecu on the weekend.

would oyu guys give me more detail/instruction to reset the ecu?

thanks