PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever do a power steering fluid flush?

Seerlah
03-02-2011, 05:34 PM
I replaced all the fluids in my vehicle, minus the power steering fluid. Does anyone have a procedure to follow for this? I could not find one on the internet.

What I was going to do was syphon out the fluid, simply place new fluid in, then bleed by having front tires off ground, key in starting position, and lock wheel left to right 10xs each. But really, I want to get as much out as possible before placing new fluid in, and syphoning it out will leave a lot of the old fluid left over. I was told that I could also remove the line from the resevoir to the pump (at the pump), but which line should I remove?

Basically, I want to know how to remove as much fluid as I can before refilling?

Thanks!

revbjeff
03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Isn't there a hose that goes to the pump you could disconnect and drain from?

reread your post didn't mean to repost info.

revbjeff
03-02-2011, 05:39 PM
It looks like the one on the right side of the pump

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/revbjeff/Online%20photos/Screenshot2011-03-02at74157PM.png

zrowcool
03-02-2011, 05:39 PM
ive also seen where you can disconnect the line at the cooler. then turn lock to lock to "pump" the fluid out with the car off. reconnect the line and fill and bleed

Seerlah
03-02-2011, 05:47 PM
^That's interesting. Any damage to the rack if doing that? A lot easier to get to the cooler than the pump. I am thinking of going this route, if there are no ill effects.

My main thing is to get out as much a I can before placing my new fluid. And for avatar sake, I run only Amsoil also[up]. That's what power steering fluid I will be replacing in.

somebody5788
03-02-2011, 06:28 PM
As a shop we siphon and fill like with a cleaning fluid then with half a gallon of OEM to do a flush. Just till your out of fluid.

Seerlah
03-03-2011, 02:54 AM
What about zrowcool's technique? Would there be a problem doing it this way?

BADB5A4
03-03-2011, 06:28 AM
I've done this by keeping the engine off and just turning the wheel with front end raised. I removed the return line to the res and just kept filling as needed until it was coming out clean. I figure this way you are running it through as much of the system as possible so theres little chance of old fluid remaining anywhere.

somebody5788
03-03-2011, 06:34 AM
I've done this by keeping the engine off and just turning the wheel with front end raised. I removed the return line to the res and just kept filling as needed until it was coming out clean. I figure this way you are running it through as much of the system as possible so theres little chance of old fluid remaining anywhere.

You need to leave it running to really do the job correctly.

99blueb5
03-03-2011, 07:17 AM
yeah you need to be ussing mineral fluid, they are very picky and if you use any regualr universal fluid they will start to make noises with extra load on the system, i would disconnect the cooler line, run the car and turn the wheel till nothin else comes out, the little bit you run it without fluid wont damage is, fill it back up with OEM fluid thenn flush one more time, i have done that many times no issues yet

zrowcool
03-03-2011, 08:40 AM
ive done my method twice with no ill effects. ideally you want the pump to be running but i wasnt comfortable having the pump running with no fluid at all. i bled the fluid from the cooler and then added fluid with the engine off and went lock to lock a bunch of times to get out the major air bubbles and fill the pump up a bit. then i started the engine and filled the reservoir to the line and worked it back and forth with the wheels in the air. this got out the rest of the bubbles and then i just topped it off to the line.

BADB5A4
03-03-2011, 10:18 AM
^^ +1. I have seen someone attempt this with a running car and it sucked fluid through at such a high rate that it pulled air in and started squealing. I cant see how that could be good for the pump since the fluid lubricates it. I would stick to the engine off way

Seerlah
03-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Zrocool, do I remove the upper or lower hose of the cooler when flushing? I am going to do it your way.

And the UPS guy just dropped off my fluid maybe 5 min ago. 48oz (almost 1.5L) should suffice. And to my delight, they added an extra gallon of Amsoil Euro 5w40 in the box[:p]. I only ordered and paid for one. I am going to use Amsoil Power Steering fluid. I know you can't just throw any universal fluids at our vehicles. I use Amsoil on all my fluids, from motor to rear diff. The Amsoil website states that it is compatable with Audi/VW.

somebody5788
03-03-2011, 12:02 PM
^^ +1. I have seen someone attempt this with a running car and it sucked fluid through at such a high rate that it pulled air in and started squealing. I cant see how that could be good for the pump since the fluid lubricates it. I would stick to the engine off way

We've been doing it since 1993 at my shop lol.

Scotty@Advanced
03-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Drain the system at the cooler, then refill, and run for 5 minutes then drain and refill and replace your Reservoir (the reservoir has a filter in it).

Seerlah
03-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Drain the system at the cooler, then refill, and run for 5 minutes then drain and refill and replace your Reservoir (the reservoir has a filter in it).

I should bleed first, before running for 5 minutes? I am also going to take your advise on replacing the resevoir. As for now, I am on the hunt for cheap fluid compatable with our vehicles to do the flush with. Then will leave the Amsoil in after second drain.

Thanks guys[cool]

Scotty@Advanced
03-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I've got some Febi or Fuchs fluid that is a direct cross and some fuchs fluid which crosses as well. Both fully synthetic mineral oil.

Pentosin compatible fluid (http://www.advancedautomotion.com/product_info.php?products_id=145)

zrowcool
03-03-2011, 12:54 PM
you can use either one off the cooler... its just a loop in the low pressure line of the pump so it doesnt matter as its essential all the low pressure side.
I use amsoil for everything as well but i have my reasons for that. ;)