PDA

View Full Version : Manual Transmission Won't go into Gear

cmurphy2266
03-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Lead up: I was slowing down (going about 40mph, With the clutch pedal fully depressed), getting ready to pull into a parking lot, I selected 1st gear (obviously going a little too fast, not sure what I was thinking), it was able to select the gear, and when I was going slow enough to release the clutch (<10mph), I slowly let off, but the clutch stayed at the floor. I put it in neutral, and manually pulled out the pedal. It came back, but has almost zero resistance.

At that point, i'm thinking it's the master cylinder. But then, when the clutch is depressed, I can't even select any gears at all. After a little bit, I was able to put it into first, and when I when I went to release the clutch, you get a grinding feel through the pedal.

It was freezing rain outside, and I didn't have any tools, so I couldn't diagnose, so I left it there, and since it was already at a car garage, I had the guy give me his opinion, and he thinks the clutch is blown apart, and isn't sure if the tranny is any good anymore either.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's just strange that there could be damage to the clutch, when it was fulled depressed. I'm about an hour away from the car now, so I won't be able to do anything else until this weekend. I don't think it's as simple as the master cylinder, because of the grinding. So I'm thinking it's the throw-out bearing or the clutch.

Thanks
-Cory

somebody5788
03-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Lead up: I was slowing down (going about 40mph, With the clutch pedal fully depressed), getting ready to pull into a parking lot, I selected 1st gear (obviously going a little too fast, not sure what I was thinking), it was able to select the gear, and when I was going slow enough to release the clutch (<10mph), I slowly let off, but the clutch stayed at the floor. I put it in neutral, and manually pulled out the pedal. It came back, but has almost zero resistance.

At that point, i'm thinking it's the master cylinder. But then, when the clutch is depressed, I can't even select any gears at all. After a little bit, I was able to put it into first, and when I when I went to release the clutch, you get a grinding feel through the pedal.

It was freezing rain outside, and I didn't have any tools, so I couldn't diagnose, so I left it there, and since it was already at a car garage, I had the guy give me his opinion, and he thinks the clutch is blown apart, and isn't sure if the tranny is any good anymore either.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's just strange that there could be damage to the clutch, when it was fulled depressed. I'm about an hour away from the car now, so I won't be able to do anything else until this weekend. I don't think it's as simple as the master cylinder, because of the grinding. So I'm thinking it's the throw-out bearing or the clutch.

Thanks
-Cory

Need to start by checking for fluid in the reservoir. Then pull the slave cylinder and inspect it as well as the line to it for leaks. You can use one of those camera things to view the inside through the slave cylinder and inspect the clutch for anything obvious if the first few thing's don't show a problem.

csosnowski
03-01-2011, 11:55 AM
clutch fork may be your culprit, although input shaft could be the issue here as well.

did you try pumping up the clutch? does it return on its own or still stick to the floor? you may have a bad slave cylinder.

the easiest one of these to check is the slave cylinder.

your other alternatives involve pulling the trans, but I would check for correct slave cylinder operation before I pulled the trans. when you have the trans out you can inspect your clutch, fork, throwout. unfortunately the only way to inspect the input shaft (that I know of) is to disassemble the trans.

do you do work on your car yourself? if you dont, it would be wise to purchase a bentley or find a download for the service manual because you will save yourself SOO much money on shop labor costs and misdiagnosed (expensive i.e. trans) parts.

I hope you figure it out and its something simple like the slave or the clutch/fork.

Good luck!

csosnowski
03-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Need to start by checking for fluid in the reservoir. Then pull the slave cylinder and inspect it as well as the line to it for leaks. You can use one of those camera things to view the inside through the slave cylinder and inspect the clutch for anything obvious if the first few thing's don't show a problem.

haha beat me to it!

somebody5788
03-01-2011, 12:00 PM
your other alternatives involve pulling the trans, but I would check for correct slave cylinder operation before I pulled the trans. when you have the trans out you can inspect your clutch, fork, throwout. unfortunately the only way to inspect the input shaft (that I know of) is to disassemble the trans.

Good luck!

I'd try to use a boroscope before pulling it.

csosnowski
03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I'd try to use a boroscope before pulling it.

that would be smarter, but I'm into pain.

also I dont have access to one, it would be useful though.

M-Hood
03-01-2011, 12:16 PM
clutch fork may be your culprit, although input shaft could be the issue here as well.

Clutch fork is usually never an issue on the A4's.

Sounds like the slave let go causing the pedal to drop to the floor.
If the pedal has very little or no resistance then there is no pressure in the slave line which means the PP is not being pushed doww to release the disk.

What happens if you put the car into 1st gear and try to start the car with the pedal pushed to the floor?

cmurphy2266
03-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Clutch fork is usually never an issue on the A4's.

Sounds like the slave let go causing the pedal to drop to the floor.
If the pedal has very little or no resistance then there is no pressure in the slave line which means the PP is not being pushed doww to release the disk.

What happens if you put the car into 1st gear and try to start the car with the pedal pushed to the floor?

I'm also hoping it's the slave cylinder. I'll be doing a detailed inspection this weekend though.

I am able to start the car with the car in 1st, and the pedal to the floor. When I go to release the clutch, it feels like it's grinding.

I have the ability to do the work myself, but It's really just a matter of time and patience. Also, If it's more than just replacing the clutch, the flywheel, and the throwout bearing, then it's a lost cause to me. The car isn't worth that much, and it's just a beater.

Thanks for the suggestions though, i'll let you guys know how it turns out.