PDA

View Full Version : windshield washer reservoir?????????

Audi_A4_
02-24-2011, 06:37 AM
I have a 2001 A4 and the windshield washer reservoir is leaking. somewhere between the washer fluid level sensor and the hose at the bottom. I am guessing there is a crack somewhere in the plastic. cause it drains about as fast as I put it in there I found a brand new one on carparts.com for $53 but my question is how hard is it to remove it and change it. and what is the best way to go about taking it out? thanks

Batcave
02-24-2011, 06:49 AM
you could probably just fill it with liquid and watch for the leak. Mine is leaking also, but from where the plastic pipe connects to the resevoir. I'd fix it but it's below freezing where I am. Mine is a slow leak so I'll fix it in the spring.

CCA4
02-24-2011, 08:10 AM
It's more likely one of the pumps than the actual reservoir. When i replaced my headlight washer pump it didn't take long. Jack up the driver's side, pull wheel and fender liner, unbolt tank and pull it out from the bottom. Incidentally I didn't buy a replacement pump, I just plugged the hole since I don't like the headlight washers anyway.

J Ozzie
02-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Gonna say its a Seal. The seal on the pump for the headlights leaks on mine so my light is always on saying low fluid.

Audi_A4_
02-24-2011, 12:13 PM
I do not have the head light washers this is the one for just the window

Audi_A4_
02-24-2011, 12:14 PM
thanks for the info on getting to the windshield washer reservoir. Ya it is either really cold here one do or like to day it is cold and raining.

Mjan1992
02-24-2011, 12:37 PM
If you take the advice and put a liquid in the reservoir to see where it's leaking, don't use water because it could freeze if it's cold enough where you are. You don't want that

Audi_A4_
02-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Ya. it is cold here right now. but is a big hole where ever it is. cause i put washer fluid in and it was in there just long enough to shut the sensor off for a split second and then it came back on lol

Mjan1992
02-25-2011, 07:58 AM
You just don't want that water freezing anywhere in the lines. I have the same problem with my car now, but i choose to ignore the warning sensor haha

Audi_A4_
02-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Ya I have actual washer fluid in it now

Audi_A4_
02-25-2011, 11:13 AM
found this

http://www.carparts.com/details/Audi/A4/OES_Genuine/Washer_Reservoir/2001/W0133-1735982.html?TID=froogle&cpoegeware01audia419992001oesgenuinew0133-17359821034581

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=Washer%20Reservoir

http://www.carjunky.com/partstore/?N=0&Nr=AND(make:Audi,model:A4+Quattro,year:2001,brand: OES+Genuine,sku:W0133-1735982,part:Washer+Reservoir)&cid=M1172623864W45e4d1f8afe06&cjW0133-1735982ware01a4quau

are they all the same they look like it to me

Shhmaudi
02-25-2011, 01:01 PM
If it turns out that it is your reservoir. I happen to have a Brand New 2001 a4 washer reservoir that I will sell you for 30 bucks plus shipping... PM me with your email/cell phone that can receive pics. if your interested, I will send you pics. Its Brand New, I know the dealer wants over 60+ for one... Just trying to help out a fellow audiziner

AdamGT
02-25-2011, 02:18 PM
The reservoir is easy to take out. I recently pulled mine to swap my ABS.

First, give yourself some room to work. Jack up the car and remove the tire. I took the whole wheel off just to save time.
Take out the fender liner (10x screws with a 10mm socket IIRC)
Now you can see the washer tank, and the two or three screws attaching it to the frame - loose 'em.*
Pop the hood, and remove the two screws holding the tank to the side of the engine bay.
Wiggle, pull, twist, tug, squirm. Now grab the washer reservoir and repeat until the tank finds its way out the wheel well.
Remove hose clamp, pump (pressure fit into a gasket on the tank), and power wires to the pump as necessary.

*Note: don't actually loose these screws, you need them later because installation is the reverse of removal.

Audi_A4_
02-25-2011, 03:06 PM
The reservoir is easy to take out. I recently pulled mine to swap my ABS.

First, give yourself some room to work. Jack up the car and remove the tire. I took the whole wheel off just to save time.
Take out the fender liner (10x screws with a 10mm socket IIRC)
Now you can see the washer tank, and the two or three screws attaching it to the frame - loose 'em.*
Pop the hood, and remove the two screws holding the tank to the side of the engine bay.
Wiggle, pull, twist, tug, squirm. Now grab the washer reservoir and repeat until the tank finds its way out the wheel well.
Remove hose clamp, pump (pressure fit into a gasket on the tank), and power wires to the pump as necessary.

*Note: don't actually loose these screws, you need them later because installation is the reverse of removal.

ok thanks man

If it turns out that it is your reservoir. I happen to have a Brand New 2001 a4 washer reservoir that I will sell you for 30 bucks plus shipping... PM me with your email/cell phone that can receive pics. if your interested, I will send you pics. Its Brand New, I know the dealer wants over 60+ for one... Just trying to help out a fellow audiziner

I will pm u next weekend when i get to take it out and see what it is. ya i am interested thanks

Shhmaudi
02-25-2011, 04:07 PM
sure no problem^^ best of luck

Armenian
03-13-2011, 08:04 PM
hey, I am not sure if this is too simple of a fix or not but i had the same issue with my windshield fluid and i found out that the hose which connects to the actual reservoir has poped out of place. Actually this happened about 3 times before i decided to clamp it to the reservoir. when you use the wipers and you pump it a few times it tends to pop loose from the pressure.. anyways check that first :)

Audi_A4_
03-14-2011, 05:17 PM
hey, I am not sure if this is too simple of a fix or not but i had the same issue with my windshield fluid and i found out that the hose which connects to the actual reservoir has poped out of place. Actually this happened about 3 times before i decided to clamp it to the reservoir. when you use the wipers and you pump it a few times it tends to pop loose from the pressure.. anyways check that first :)

ok thanks. been raining every day I have had off from work so not looked at it yet

EuroDriven
03-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Jack up the car and remove the tire. I took the whole wheel off just to save time.

How would you take the tire off without taking the wheel off? [confused]

J Ozzie
03-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by AdamGT
Jack up the car and remove the tire. I took the whole wheel off just to save time.

How would you take the tire off without taking the wheel off? [confused]

FAIL

rAphb0y
03-15-2011, 01:19 PM
I had this problem a long time ago, but I actually don't have headlight washers so the hose wasnt connected to anything. When I poured the liquid, it ran right through the hose and straight on the ground. What I did was plug the hose with a big screw and bam! PROBLEM SOLVED!

Mad Cow
03-15-2011, 07:30 PM
There's a pump for just the headlight washers? I have them but my reservoir only has 1 pump on the bottom.

EuroDriven
03-16-2011, 01:25 PM
There's a pump for just the headlight washers? I have them but my reservoir only has 1 pump on the bottom.

The pump for the headlight washers should be on the res, but the pump for the windshield washers should be else where if I remember correctly.

Audi_A4_
03-16-2011, 02:59 PM
I just spent $118 on other more important things lol so i will be waiting on the reservoir till I get the time to do that after everything else lol. thanks for all the good info and if you have any more please keep it coming cause i will be working on this here very soon just not this weekend cause it is going to be nice so i am going to do everything else lol

Snow
03-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by AdamGT

FAIL

Hahaha I'm curious as well..

Is there any disadvantage to running lines to your trunk and putting a tank back there for the windshield fluid? I suppose a level sensor would need to be adjusted somehow if you use a custom tank. Has anyone done this?