PDA

View Full Version : Grrr need help ASAP!

eurodevil
02-23-2011, 03:36 PM
I have a 2000 audi a4 2.8 v6. The car was parked in my driveway while i took my headliner out to redo it but my driveway is on a hill. I had to put the car in N to get the headliner out so i put the car in N and the ebrake on and then when i got it out i put the car in park turned it off and then released the ebrake, well the car rolled back a little bit bc it was on a hill. later on i got into leave and put the car in R and the whole engine jumped so i figured i needed new motor mounts so i changed the motor and tranny mounts and still the whole engine wants to pop out of the hood. all new motor and tranny mounts!....any suggestions on what else to do? or what it could be? help pleasssse

TipTucker01
02-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Its a possibility that there was all the cars weight on the gear when you tried changing; hence the 'jump'.

Try to use better grammar, it keeps the site nicer for everybody.

eurodevil
02-23-2011, 03:43 PM
.....Your response doesn't help me one bit, But yeah thanks for the helpful hint!

MrPibb
02-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Your post isn't very clear to begin with. It sounds like you bounced something in your tranny, maybe tweaked your gears out of alignment or something. Try clarify your post, it's really confusing, why'd you put it in Neutral instead of park? that makes no sense.

eurodevil
02-23-2011, 03:56 PM
I put the car in Neutral because I had to turn the headliner just past the shift knob but wouldn't make it when the shift knob was in park. So when I put the car back into park and released the emergency brake the car rolled back a little bit. (didnt hear a clunk or anything). Later on I started my 2000 audi a4 to leave, put the vehicle in Reverse and the engine jumped as I put it in gear(reverse and drive) So I replaced the motor and tranny mounts, then started my vehicle, put it in reverse and still jumps. I then checked all motor and tranny mounts to make sure they were all tight and they were. So now I have no clue what it could be. Thanks

MikeD7
02-23-2011, 04:01 PM
I put the car in Neutral because I had to turn the headliner just past the shift knob but wouldn't make it when the shift knob was in park. So when I put the car back into park and released the emergency brake the car rolled back a little bit. (didnt hear a clunk or anything). Later on I started my 2000 audi a4 to leave, put the vehicle in Reverse and the engine jumped as I put it in gear(reverse and drive) So I replaced the motor and tranny mounts, then started my vehicle, put it in reverse and still jumps. I then checked all motor and tranny mounts to make sure they were all tight and they were. So now I have no clue what it could be. Thanks

It was probably the weight of the car on the transmission. Every automatic I park on an incline is hard to put into reverse or drive and makes a loud clunk.

eurodevil
02-23-2011, 04:03 PM
But it doesn't just clunk when its on an incline. It clunks and the engine jumps even when on a flat surface.

FNK
02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
How high is the RPM right before you engage the gear?

eurodevil
02-23-2011, 04:23 PM
When its in park the vehicle runs normal(below 1500 rpm) and when you actually put it into a gear it still runs normal, doesn't run at high rpms just the engine jumps as if the motor mounts are bad but i just replaced them.

FNK
02-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Well the normal idle is between 700 and 800 rpm, so shifting from neutral to drive from 1500 rpm will make a "Surge" of the engine.
When your in gear, your rpm must be around 700 rpm right?

There's your problem, look for a loose intake tube or dirty MAF. Some air are not metered and the idle is higher than normal.

MrPibb
02-23-2011, 04:41 PM
^^ That sounds like your problem ^^
High Rpm's when you engage drive or reverse will make the car buck a little bit no matter what level your on.

ricekikr
02-23-2011, 04:51 PM
so shifting from neutral to drive from 1500 rpm will make a "Surge" of the engine.

+1

eurodevil
02-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Thank you all for the help. Tomorrow morning I'm going to see what the rpms are exact when at idle and when engaging to gear. Thanks again.