PDA

View Full Version : New Alternator?

RoadRage
02-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Background:
I left my dome light on all weekend, effectively killing the battery. I charged the battery for a couple hours, went to fire it up. It started but immediately died. Like 3 seconds of run time. The car did this about 3 times before I said F it and took the L to work.

The next day, last night, I charged the battery up some more, thinking maybe there wasn't enough juice to keep it running, which doesn't make sense, but I did it anyways. I go out this morning, try to start it and now it doesn't start at all. It's cranking and the battery is showing voltage, bit its not turning over. So now I'm on the L again and it blows.

Is there anything else I should look into before I decide to replace the alternator?

Also, does anyone have a DIY for alternator replacement? I checked our DIY section and audidiy and there's nothing listed.

Thanks for reading. And TIA for any suggestions.

colombian301
02-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Take your battery to advance auto parts or an auto zone and get it tested they do it for free. Cause it might be just the battery. Am assuming because in the past I was giving a jump start to a lady's vw that died and I wire the cable from my car to her and everything and went to go start her car and it turn on but 3 sec later it died. I had to leave my car running for a while for her battery to get good charge before it could actually stay running. So if you say that you left your battery dieing all weekend then it could just be extremely dead that it doesn't work even after you charge it. Or either try a different battery from another other vehicle you might have in the household

viceprp
02-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Would say this is a battery issue, seeing how you left your light on. The alternater takes over for the battery once the call is running. The car might have voltage but not enough to crank over and stay running. I would get your battery checked like stated above. When was the last time you changed it? Sounds like it due..

RoadRage
02-22-2011, 09:39 AM
I'll walk it over to O'reillys tonight. Hopefully it is just the battery.

I have no interest in dumping any more money into this car.

RoadRage
02-22-2011, 09:40 AM
It's been in the car since I've owned it. So, since 2003. It's probably due.

EErie B6
02-22-2011, 09:45 AM
It's been in the car since I've owned it. So, since 2003. It's probably due.

thats a long time for a battery. its probably a pretty safe bet that is your problem.

RoadRage
02-23-2011, 07:53 AM
So I guess it's not the battery. O'Reilly put it on their tester and it passed.

Now where do I go? Could it be the starter?

What are some things I can do/test to see if it's the starter or alternator or ???

I'm clueless with this sort of thing.

AlltracAllday
02-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Few things you can do, 1 if you are going to check the Alternator you can take it somewhere like O'Reilly and they can test it like the battery and I am pretty sure the Starter also. if its the Alternator and you are craft go this rout http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/358309-DIY-5-Alternator-Fix-replacing-brushes-%28Valeo%29?highlight=alternator

Its pretty easy and really cheap. If you cant just replace it also easy and less intense. I have done both on a few vehicles including the A4. I had a DIY but cant seem to find it right now and I am at work. I will try again when I get home.

ECS Tuning-Audi
02-23-2011, 10:47 AM
If you figure out that it is the alternator feel free to PM me.

I just recently changed mine in the last 3 months, I'd be more than happy to help you with any questions you have about the removal and installation process.

Good luck.

Pete

RoadRage
02-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks for that link. If it's the alternator I'll probably try that first.

stevejones19
02-23-2011, 05:11 PM
lol. My alternator just went out the other day too. I said the same exact thing. I'm done with this car. I'm putting it up for 2g's and will help them get rid of it.

RoadRage
02-24-2011, 08:42 AM
lol. My alternator just went out the other day too. I said the same exact thing. I'm done with this car. I'm putting it up for 2g's and will help them get rid of it.

I toss around the idea of selling my car or just repairing it as it breaks every day. The only problem is, I need my car, and I don't really have to cash to get another car. And the other problem being it doesn't make a lot of sense to keep putting money into this car. I could always get a car loan and get a new ride, but that idea just sounds terrible to me.

stevejones19
02-24-2011, 08:53 PM
I didn't really plan on selling. But i'm in a different situation now. And i found a really good looking 06 WRX in my city already [:D] lol

But if you figure out it is the alternator. walky_talky has a good write up about repairing the bruses on the valeo units. That could save you 150 for a new alternator. GL man, hope you get it running. I hated it each time my car had something wrong, wanted to drive it off the nearest cliff, but once its running again i love it. lol

RoadRage
02-25-2011, 07:45 AM
So I plan on pulling the alternator out tonight and taking it to the parts shop to have it tested. I'll probably pull the starter too.

I have the link to Walkys DIY alternator fix, which briefly touches on removal. I also think I have a starter removal somewhere, it might be on my home computer...

Anyways, is there anything I should know (difficult steps, etc...) when removing either of these things?

I do have a Bentley manual which I will be using.

Thanks.

ricekikr
02-25-2011, 07:52 AM
This happened to me once. Battery got fully discharged, tried jump starting, it would start but would die immediately. Bought a new battery, same thing.

Reset codes. Same thing, start-sputter-die

Vag'd the car and found that the throttle was stuck around 25% (can't remember exact value). Reset codes again (there was one for throttle) did a Throttle Body Alignment. 1-click-start.

RoadRage
02-25-2011, 07:56 AM
This happened to me once. Battery got fully discharged, tried jump starting, it would start but would die immediately. Bought a new battery, same thing.

Reset codes. Same thing, start-sputter-die

Vag'd the car and found that the throttle was stuck around 25% (can't remember exact value). Reset codes again (there was one for throttle) did a Throttle Body Alignment. 1-click-start.

Interesting... Is there a way to check this without VAG? probably not....

On audiworld, there's a writeup about replacing the T-stat on a B6. HERE (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng106.shtml). The first steps show how to remove the alternator. It looks almost identical to the B5. Will this be the same process? Is there an easier way to remove the alternator?

ricekikr
02-25-2011, 08:09 AM
Not sure if you can check it without VAG.

I'm not exactly sure about Audi, but in other cars I've owned/worked on, namely some Honda's and Toyota's. The car would start and run even if the alternator is busted, it will just shut down when the battery runs out of juice.

Problem is its kinda hard to test the alternator if the car won't idle. The only way I know how to test an alternator is let it idle get a voltmeter and check voltage at the battery terminals while idling.

I'm assuming your car was running fine before your car run out of battery (which was caused by a light that was left on). In your case, I doubt you killed your alternator by draining your battery.

RoadRage
02-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Not sure if you can check it without VAG.

I'm not exactly sure about Audi, but in other cars I've owned/worked on, namely some Honda's and Toyota's. The car would start and run even if the alternator is busted, it will just shut down when the battery runs out of juice.

Problem is its kinda hard to test the alternator if the car won't idle. The only way I know how to test an alternator is let it idle get a voltmeter and check voltage at the battery terminals while idling.

I'm assuming your car was running fine before your car run out of battery (which was caused by a light that was left on). In your case, I doubt you killed your alternator by draining your battery.

That's what I was thinking too, but according to O'reillys battery tester, my battery passed, and is charged and good to go.

Now when I try to start the car it just makes a whrrr noise and doesn't turn over. I think I'll check the starter first, since I believe I won't have to remove anything to access it.

Could this be a blown fuse or something simple like that?

What about fuel delivery? When the battery dies, does the car shut off the fueling system or anything? Sounds stupid, but I really have no idea what to look for.

ricekikr
02-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Why check the starter? I assume that the "whrr" noise is the noise that the starter normally makes when it cranks the engine? And it did start the engine right? The engine just won't remain on?

Battery = Has enough juice to start car (or you can try the battery from your other cars to make sure)
Starter = Started the car atleast 3 times
Alternator = Known working before battery drain (which was caused by a light left on)

If you can't check the throttle, check the coils/fuel/spark plugs first. It's a whole lot easier than removing the alternator/starter. But I personally won't check the starter for this problem. I would get it running first, then maybe check the alternator.

To check coils I use a tool like this http://www.ibuonline.com/storage/product/066/dbf/52e/a963429e4a0354bacc7d50f.jpg - a couple of bucks at any auto supply.

To check fuel, Google it. My method isn't the safest (includes fuel slightly squirting all over the engine).

To check spark plugs, I just replace them to be sure.

RoadRage
02-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Is that just an Ohm tester?

walky_talky20
02-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Have you tried putting your foot on the gas when it starts? Perhaps the throttle body alignment is out of whack so it can't idle properly. You can try leaving the key in the ON position for a few minutes (engine not running), so it will adapt the throttle body. Other than that, maybe you can post a quick video of what it is doing? I'm not exactly certain of your symptoms: you say it starts then stalls, but is making a whirring noise? Anyhow, I really doubt there's anything wrong with your starter, or your alternator for that matter.

ricekikr
02-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Is that just an Ohm tester?

Nope. You plug it in the coil. It basically shows you if the coil gives a spark.

+1 on walkys tip. I forgot you can do TBA without VAG. But you won't be able to do a TBA if you have a throttle code.

RoadRage
02-26-2011, 01:23 AM
So I went over to my girls place instead of immediately working on the car. So I didn't get as much accomplished as I wanted.

But, I tried the TBA by leaving the key in the on position for at least 5 minutes, then tried to fire it up. Nothing.
I also checked voltage to the fuel pump, removed fuses 28,29,34, put meter in 28 and ground, tried to start. The fueling system is getting voltage.

Walky- I have tried starting it while applying some gas/throttle. That didn't work.

I'll throw up a video tomorrow morning(later today) of the sound it makes while trying to start.

Aragorn
02-26-2011, 04:10 AM
Even if the Alternator was completely fubar, the car would still start and run using power from the battery.

Have you tried removing the plugs and making sure they arent sooted up? Have you tried cranking with the engine at FULL throttle incase you've flooded it?

Really needs a diag scan to make sure the ECU is happy.

black99.5a4
02-26-2011, 04:35 AM
If you had voltage, it would start. the alt wont keep the car from starting if the battery is strong enough to turn it over.

the car would only run without an alt hooked up till the battery died (in a lot of cars, never tested on an Audi, was told by a tech at the dealer while bs'ing one day that its not good for an audi to do it)

if its starting and died and now wont start but cranks over fine. I have money it needs a TBA (Throttle Body Adaption).. which you can try unplugging the battery for about 10 mins, hooking it back up and turning the key to the ON position for about 5 mins. A lot of guys swear this wont work on a DBW car, but i just did it 3 days ago to my 01.5 car that had been sitting without a battery for about 2 years and it fired right up, holds 800 rpms and never skipped or missed a beat. There are a lot of occasions where guys cant get it to adapt using key on, so you need VAG-COM.

RoadRage
03-01-2011, 08:58 AM
So I tried the TBA a couple times. Still the same results.

I changed the plugs. They all had gas smell to them, from all these start attempts... None of them were overly sooted up.

I really need to scan codes and do a TBA with VAG to see what's up....

RoadRage
03-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Well, I got the car to start. Replaced plugs, battery and just held the key in start position with full throttle until it started. Died immediately after I took my foot off the gas. So I fired it up again and held the throttle open to keep it running. Tac was hunting and wouldn't settle for several minutes.

Now the car thinks normal idle is at 400 rpm. It still hunts when I try giving it just a little bit of constant throttle. Is there anything I can do without vag to get the idle back up to 800-900?