PDA

View Full Version : Dipstick - Part of the holder fell inside the hole.

ricekikr
02-09-2011, 10:35 PM
I just changed my oil, don't want to drain it ($60 oil). I was checking the oil, part of the dipstick holder cracked and fell inside the hole. It was around 3cm x 3cm. [headbang]

Should I be concerned? Or will the oil pickup screen and oil filter catch it before it causes a problem?

Btw I also have an oil cooler, will that block the lines causing oil starvation or it wont even reach the cooler?

revolution337
02-10-2011, 03:46 AM
I would definitely try and drain it out of there. That is a decent size of material to have floating around in the pan. I think a $60 is a small price to pay to avoid major engine damage.

ricekikr
02-10-2011, 05:43 AM
I would definitely try and drain it out of there. That is a decent size of material to have floating around in the pan. I think a $60 is a small price to pay to avoid major engine damage.

That's what I was thinking [=(]

I just wish it comes out when I drain the oil, don't want to drop the pan [headbang]

auh
02-10-2011, 06:41 AM
you could always put the oil back in after you take out the piece that fell in if its new oil

weaselciuy
02-10-2011, 06:53 AM
what if the piece does not fit in the drain hole, it can block it or ... if your lucky you will find it in the oil filter or even oil pump :/ .

MikeD7
02-10-2011, 07:19 AM
I am sure it will come out when you drain the oil. There is a screen on the oil pick up so you really dont need to worry about it being pushed into the head. I would drain the oil immediately if you are concerned about it

ricekikr
02-11-2011, 03:07 AM
Drained the oil, it didn't come out. Crap..

BenjaminR
02-11-2011, 04:00 AM
Could try some compressed air through the dip stick just in-case it didn't go all the way in. Or you can flush with diesel fuel down the dip stick...

ricekikr
02-11-2011, 05:30 AM
Or you can flush with diesel fuel down the dip stick...

Will try this next time thanks for the info =)

Audi_A4_
02-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Ya the other day I was pulling my di[stick up and the loop broke off but did not go in the engine. It stayed in my hand. looks like time to get a new one here some time.

ricekikr
02-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Ya the other day I was pulling my di[stick up and the loop broke off but did not go in the engine. It stayed in my hand. looks like time to get a new one here some time.

I won't be replacing mine. Only the inner part broke. The outer part's fine and holds the dipstick in. I don't want to replace it and wait for it to crack again.

Is there an updated part that doesn't crack?

wesleyfbm
02-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Happened to me too...nothing happened. Mine may have been a bit smaller though. To be honest...it could melt away. Tis really only plastic and the motor gets pretty warm. At least thats what I tell myself.

ricekikr
02-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Happened to me too...nothing happened. Mine may have been a bit smaller though. To be honest...it could melt away. Tis really only plastic and the motor gets pretty warm. At least thats what I tell myself.

Lol, I'm also doing some wishful thinking re this matter.

But, I don't think it will melt, it doesn't even get slightly soft with a hot motor right beside it. I'm just crossing my finger that it doesn't get sucked in or break thru the pickup screen and f'k up the oil pump.

Or if it gets thru the pickup screen, hopefully it passes straight thru the pump, then the filter would definitely catch it.

Just hope I can find it when I change the rods in the ff months.

walky_talky20
02-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Nothing like that can possibly get through the pickup screen. The mesh is extremely tight. Even tiny bits of carbon get stuck in that thing (which is what the entire engine sludge thing is about). It will either stay in the pan, or get stuck in the pickup screen funnel. Not a big deal, although it can "contribute" to an existing sludge issue I would think, as it certainly won't help the flow through the pickup. I wouldn't worry about it at all unless you have oil pressure problems. Would be a good excuse to install an oil pressure gauge, perhaps.

naudi1.8
02-11-2011, 09:43 PM
I took everything apart when this happened to me.. Flushed cleaned and make sure there is no plastic floating around in my oil pan.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/a4/msgs/63864.phtml

ricekikr
02-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Nothing like that can possibly get through the pickup screen. The mesh is extremely tight. Even tiny bits of carbon get stuck in that thing (which is what the entire engine sludge thing is about). It will either stay in the pan, or get stuck in the pickup screen funnel. Not a big deal, although it can "contribute" to an existing sludge issue I would think, as it certainly won't help the flow through the pickup. I wouldn't worry about it at all unless you have oil pressure problems. Would be a good excuse to install an oil pressure gauge, perhaps.

I only have around 25k miles on the car, I don't think I have sludge. Funny that you mention "install" I've had the oil gauge for a couple of months already, just couldn't get around installing it. Now I really need to install it.

I took everything apart when this happened to me.. Flushed cleaned and make sure there is no plastic floating around in my oil pan.

Too much work [=(]. I really just do hope it stays in the pan..

walky_talky20
02-12-2011, 05:16 AM
Already have the gauge? That's great. Other than an oil pressure problem, there's really nothing else to worry about here. The car will warn you via an oil pressure light, but I like to have an even earlier warning. Also it gives me some reassurance that my 1.8T doesn't have the oh-so-common clogged pickup (or it at least isn't causing problems yet).