PDA

View Full Version : Carbn fiber qustion paint guys take a look

Shhmaudi
02-09-2011, 07:10 PM
What kinda clear coat do you guys recommend? I am looking for one with UV protection.. Where can I buy it?

orelly sells a Duplicolor laquer clear coat but I dunno about that...

Clear plasti dip?? i dunno I have never used that stuff before

b6nukka
02-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Google it

A4Rob
02-09-2011, 09:18 PM
What are you looking to do? Clear coat a CF hood? If you bought a decent hood it will have UV protection in the resin.

Plastidip? Really?

Turbo Nerd
02-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Idk maybe he wants to paint the hood then clear coat it?

Shhmaudi
02-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Its made by vis and they make their hoods with uv protection. Heres a pic:http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/socal_a4/DSCF0001.jpg

Should I wet sand and re clear? or polish w/TR3 and re clear? I have read a bunch of articles on google but found no clear answers.. I am leaning towards polishing it and reclear but i wanna be sure before I tackle this project this weekend

thanks again

Turbo Nerd
02-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Holy shit.... Before you mess with it contact the company you bought from and see if they would send you another one. That clear coat shouldn't have came off even though you live in Cali. I don't think polish would do shit. Maybe wetsand and 800 grit sandpaper. PM matt@carbon maybe he can give you some insight on what to do since he makes his own carbon fiber. My 2 cents.

A4Rob
02-10-2011, 05:55 AM
That almost looks like dried wax.

somebody5788
02-10-2011, 05:59 AM
It's fixable. Question is do you have a rotary buffer and the appropriate buffing and polishing compunds? As well as the appropriate foam pads (cutting and polishing)

Shhmaudi
02-10-2011, 07:39 AM
That almost looks like dried wax. It is a combination of dried wax and fading.. I tried a lot of different approaches..

It's fixable. Question is do you have a rotary buffer and the appropriate buffing and polishing compunds? As well as the appropriate foam pads (cutting and polishing)
Yes I do. Question is what cutting pads do I need/recommend ?

matt@oCarbon
02-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Should I wet sand and re clear? or polish w/TR3 and re clear? I have read a bunch of articles on google but found no clear answers.. I am leaning towards polishing it and reclear but i wanna be sure before I tackle this project this weekend

The epoxy has yellowed. Re-clearing it will improve the cosmetic aspects of the hood, but its not going to make it look new again.

SeekB00st
02-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Paint it blue.

Shhmaudi
02-10-2011, 11:31 AM
The epoxy has yellowed. Re-clearing it will improve the cosmetic aspects of the hood, but its not going to make it look new again. damnit. what should I do wet sand or polish before I re clear it.. Should I call vis and request a new one? what type of clear should I put on?

Paint it blue.

I was thinking of painting my car nogaro and leaving my roof black and the center of the hood where the grill is at carbon and the side would be nogaro

matt@oCarbon
02-10-2011, 11:44 AM
damnit. what should I do wet sand or polish before I re clear it.. Should I call vis and request a new one? what type of clear should I put on?

They aren't going to give you a new one, all epoxy yellows eventually.

If you are asking questions about wetsanding and polishing before clearcoat, and which type of clearcoat to use, you probably aren't going to do a very good job clearcoating it and its going to end up looking worse. For sure don't polish it before you clearcoat, the surface will be contaminated. Wetsand to 400-600.

A4A4A4
02-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Honestly, I think your best bet is to colour match the whole hood to your car. If you really want a black accent, paint or vinyl your roof black.

Shhmaudi
02-10-2011, 03:10 PM
They aren't going to give you a new one, all epoxy yellows eventually.

If you are asking questions about wetsanding and polishing before clearcoat, and which type of clearcoat to use, you probably aren't going to do a very good job clearcoating it and its going to end up looking worse. For sure don't polish it before you clearcoat, the surface will be contaminated. Wetsand to 400-600.

I know not to polish before I spray clear. I just got some Kustom shop.com 2k super flow polyurethane High performance clear