PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette lighter fuse!?!?!

kenji422
02-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I've been using a 12 volt plug in car heater, since my heater core is bad. Today, I noticed that my cigarette lighter doesnt turn anything on, my phone, my radar detector, nothing. I checked the fuse for it, on the side panel of the dash, and it was blown. Anyways, when I try to put in a new fuse (15 amp), it sparks and blows the instant it makes contact! Whats up with that!?!?! Its the right type of fuse (i looked it up in my audi manual) and I have the ignition off! This car is really pissing me off

AudiFan6482
02-06-2011, 09:01 PM
check the socket of the cigarette lighter. maybe there is a problem with something stuck in it or the wires are bad going to it.

kenji422
02-06-2011, 09:04 PM
check the socket of the cigarette lighter. maybe there is a problem with something stuck in it or the wires are bad going to it.

The socket looks fine, no rust or anything, its in good shape

AudiFan6482
02-06-2011, 09:09 PM
i still would think you have a short somewhere

B6JoeS4
02-06-2011, 09:12 PM
you definitely have a short somewhere. I would use a barely damp microfiber and clean out the plug as good as you can.

another way to see in the plug i shorting itself is to use a multimeter measuring resistance between the positive (bottom part) and the neutral (the barrel).

kenji422
02-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Okay I'm not really good with electric theory and stuff, and I dont have a multimeter, so maybe I can rent one from an auto parts store. What kind of readout from the multimeter would I be looking for? Is there a way to put a New lighter assembly in? Or if there is a short, could it be fixed by putting in a new lighter? Or could there be a problem with the wires deep within the dash, because if so, I'm probably gonna run my Audi into a fucking brick wall. I have never had so many problems with a car before. There is on way I'm gonna remove the dash

walky_talky20
02-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Probably the easiest way to do this would be to unplug it at the back of the socket. That separates the circuit from the receptacle. Then (with the fuse removed), check the harness positive wire for resistance to ground (should be open circuit). Then check the socket to see if it's shorted out. If it's in the harness, and not obvious, it is probably best to just run a new wire right to the fuse box rather than tear the dash harness apart.

B6JoeS4
02-06-2011, 09:29 PM
You can buy a mutlimeter at home depot for 20 bucks. measure in 2K ohms, the readout should be the same as if it was not connected to anything. if the readout displays 0 or anything higher, then there is a short. Do this without a fuse in the fusebox for the cig lighter and with the car off.

If you do find a short, well then its time to have some fun. the first thing to do would be to pull out the lighter assembly and unplug it. on the vehicle harness powering the cig lighter, test the resistance between the hot and neutral. if the readout displays anything from 0 or higher (same as before) then you have a short somewhere in the veheicle wiring. then it;s a fun job of tracing the wires and finding the short.

Now if the readout displays nothing then there is obviously no short in the vehicle harness. then your lighter assembly is shorting itself. you can either try to clean it and fix it or just replace it which is what i'd recommend.

have fun. electrical stuff is always a pain in the ass..

0 means there is no resistance meaning a very bad short. if it is .1-.whatever then there is a short but still some resistance restricting the flow of electricity. still means you have a short but it's not as bad. you better pray it reads 0 because then it will be obvious what is shorting.

AudiFan6482
02-06-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm thinking with running an electric heater off of your lighter you may have melted the back of the unit. They aren't really meant for constant high output kind of use. before you go spring for a multimeter pull out your lighter assembly and see if there is any visible damage to the wire connections at the back.(or melted/burnt anything)

kenji422
02-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm thinking with running an electric heater off of your lighter you may have melted the back of the unit. They aren't really meant for constant high output kind of use. before you go spring for a multimeter pull out your lighter assembly and see if there is any visible damage to the wire connections at the back.(or melted/burnt anything)

But this heater was designed for cars. I bought it from Auto zone. Maybe I can do that, how do I pull out the lighter assembly? I pulled out the ashtray to see if I can get behind the actual socket but there is a panel in the way

AudiFan6482
02-06-2011, 10:09 PM
i hope you search for your next question (if you come to one) as im tired of doing the searching for you.

but at any rate in order to remove the cigarette lighter and ashtray assembly

you need to first remove the center console trim.
Then the radio (need the radio keys)
then take out the heater control panel
then finally you will be able to see the screws or clips that hold in the lighter/ashtray assembly (if its screws they are 8mm)
so good luck with that...

AudiFan6482
02-06-2011, 10:19 PM
But this heater was designed for cars. I bought it from Auto zone.
i meant that the prolonged use of this heater probably wore out the socket faster than it should

kenji422
02-08-2011, 05:57 PM
i hope you search for your next question (if you come to one) as im tired of doing the searching for you.

but at any rate in order to remove the cigarette lighter and ashtray assembly

you need to first remove the center console trim.
Then the radio (need the radio keys)
then take out the heater control panel
then finally you will be able to see the screws or clips that hold in the lighter/ashtray assembly (if its screws they are 8mm)
so good luck with that...

How do I remove the trim? Just pop it out? I've read in some articles that you have to remove the ENTIRE center console just to get to the center console. Like removing the trim around the shifter and e brake!?!