PDA

View Full Version : Little disappointed tonight...

auh
02-01-2011, 11:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyrI_tg9iSQ

After watching the above video, I really thought my car could do much better in the snow. No I got stuck 3 times tonight on my drive home from work in snow just about the same depth. I bet if my car had more power I wouldn't have gotten stuck so easily cause my 300hp 350tq eclipse never got stuck. Time to beef up the engine I guess!!! Anyone have some tips for getting unstuck in the event that lots of plows are no where near you?

euroazfck
02-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Ko4 setup and snow tires maby, on a nother note,have any pics of the eclipse? I was a Dsm guy at one point;) my first car was a 4g eclipse then a 3000gt/stealth

auh
02-01-2011, 11:37 PM
I wish I had some pics of my 2g still. They went when my old hard drive got flooded in a house flood. But it was nice...16g turbo, SAFC, 440cc injectors and high flow walboro, downpipe and straight cat back 3 inch exhaust, brembo brakes and ceramic 6 puck clutch and tien suspension lowered 1.5 on all 4 corners. Red with CF hood and the only reason I sold it was cause I wanted something with 4 doors.

ricekikr
02-01-2011, 11:40 PM
I bet if my car had more power I wouldn't have gotten stuck so easily cause my 300hp 350tq eclipse never got stuck. Time to beef up the engine I guess!!!

I haven't driven in the snow. But, wouldn't more power just give you more wheelspin which would cause more loss of traction?

Remember seeing a video about traction control. When left ON, the car could go up ICE on an incline, with it OFF the car wasn't even able to make it halfway up. My thinking is with traction control you won't be getting your max hp anyways, so having more HP than needed is moot.

I bet driving on snow is fun though =)

euroazfck
02-01-2011, 11:43 PM
I wish I had some pics of my 2g still. They went when my old hard drive got flooded in a house flood. But it was nice...16g turbo, SAFC, 440cc injectors and high flow walboro, downpipe and straight cat back 3 inch exhaust, brembo brakes and ceramic 6 puck clutch and tien suspension lowered 1.5 on all 4 corners. Red with CF hood and the only reason I sold it was cause I wanted something with 4 doors.
sounds sick, got rid of mine cus i was goin broke lol, so I had 2 down grade 2 my b5 which I love, but I do miss the power of the eclipse

auh
02-01-2011, 11:44 PM
The reason cars get stuck in my area isn't because of slippery grounds, its because of how high the snow was piled up. I would agree that more power is bad if there was all ice here, but we are talking about 2 feet of thick wet snow and I couldn't power through it.

snowdogg
02-02-2011, 03:48 AM
More power is unlikely to give you better traction... really good snow tires and sufficient ground clearance are the starting point. I live in Vermont and deal with driving in snow for too long... rather be driving to a warm beach in Florida! LOL

flynnr
02-02-2011, 04:25 AM
get some general altimax arctics or blizzaks... U should see the shit I get through with ease

somebody5788
02-02-2011, 06:14 AM

Lol my buddy's Talon had this exact setup (until crank walk) it doesn't compare to my A4 in the snow. I was going through at least as much as that video last night w/ 0 problems.

Oh and my car is about 25.25" Ground to fender

somebody5788
02-02-2011, 06:15 AM
get some general altimax arctics or blizzaks... U should see the shit I get through with ease

What he said!

murdered APR a4
02-02-2011, 06:21 AM
blizzaks are what i run for the winter and my audi gets through anything....its funny when you pass a big old 4x4 who doesnt get any traction lmfao

Euromike
02-02-2011, 06:26 AM
for winter you need #1 good tires, and #2 height.

vietxnam
02-02-2011, 06:48 AM
You definitely need some good tires. I'm running general altimax and they have been good to me. I'm up here in mass where we are getting raped with winter weather.

somebody5788
02-02-2011, 06:49 AM
I love how much grip my Altimax's have but am I the only one that thinks they are way too soft?

noob5
02-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Not much you can do when you get high-centered except to dig.

revolution337
02-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I love how much grip my Altimax's have but am I the only one that thinks they are way too soft?

I too am impressed with the amount of grip my altimaxs have. I think they are a little on the soft side, but I was under the impression most winter tires are.

brettj20
02-02-2011, 12:18 PM
its all about the tires, not the power.

somebody5788
02-02-2011, 12:37 PM
I too am impressed with the amount of grip my altimaxs have. I think they are a little on the soft side, but I was under the impression most winter tires are.

They are, however I don't think the Blizzaks are anywhere near as soft.

Quattro 4 Life
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
yep, definitely about the tires. I was impressed with the A4 there, he looked like he could have gotten stuck at about 1:07 but came back out. impressive

NeedingAnAudi
02-02-2011, 01:55 PM
I think your biggest problem is that the snow around here isn't fluffy like that video. This is some hard packed heavy ass snow. But yeah get you some general artics, they are great around here

tedthebellhopp
02-02-2011, 02:51 PM
studded wintermarks from walmart. will take me anywhere in NH/VT...

Amorphic
02-02-2011, 05:02 PM
stock height and nokian hakkapellita 5's on my ride. Been through a foot and half of snow no problem.

rAphb0y
02-02-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm FWD, 23 3/4's gtf in the front 24.5 in the rear, firestone winterforce snow tires and never ever get stuck.. And trust me we're getting hit hard here in Boston!!

Dallas09
02-02-2011, 09:20 PM
If you dont think you had enough power to make it through snow of that depth, your probably shifting too soon. In snow that deep, especially at lower speeds, you have to stay in a low gear. For me, at small parking lot drifting speeds (if that makes sense), Im kind of at an awkward speed between 1st and 2nd, less now that I have a chip but still noticeable. I seem to rev higher than Id like in 1st, but in 2nd I start bogging down. For most of the speeds in that video 1st gear would be best IMO. And its way easier to make it through snow like that if you dont completely stop. And if you think lack of power is your issue, better tires wouldnt really do you any good.

anmagro
02-02-2011, 09:24 PM
That B5 was goin threw some serious shit lol, man can drive.

Stock height, stock front bumper = Never, ever... stuck.

Vogtland Springs, RS4 front bumper = Stuck half the time.