PDA

View Full Version : Catch can on a 2.8?

FNK
02-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Would it be worth it?

Quote from another user

bc we are a directly injected engine as opposed to normal fuel injected cars which spray fuel into the intake mani (fuel helps clean parts as well as makes you go...not trying to sound like a smart ass i promise) we have injectors that spray directly (hence direct injection) into the combustion chamber, therefore our fuel never gets a chance to clean our parts in our mani (like a normal fuel injected car does) so this dirt, grime, or properly called blo-back that our engines get sits on our valves, which get very hot and eventually burn and cake nastiness (carbon) onto our valves

a catch can does exactly as the name implies, it catches the blo-back (dirt, water, grime, midgets, whatever is in your engine thats not supposed to be) into a can that periodically builds up over time, winter months tend to accumulate more gunk in the catch can because condensation happens more in colder temps then in warmer, if you live in a place that doesn;t get cold cough florida cough phil cough im sojealous of his livingsituation right now cough then you can get away without having one

catch cans can be run on pretty much any car but they are generally not needed unless your in a situation where carbon build-up on valves is hard to get rid of (last i heard the only way to do it thats audi approved is blasting walnut shells at the valves until the carbon is gone)

they are a relatively cheap preventative maintenance option you can do on your car for:

piece of mind
to keep your car extra clean

Would it be worth it, or it's mainly for turbo cars... because my engine is full of gunk, or at the very least, my PCV was full of it (completely jammed).

Getoffamybacon
02-01-2011, 08:03 PM
not sure where your quote is from, but no b5 engine is direct injected (except diesels). a catch can performs the same on a turbo car as it does on a non turbo car. if your engine is full of "gunk" (i read sludge here) then it sounds like you have an oil quality problem. either you (or previous owner) are not changing your oil at regular increments. another problem could be a blockage in the check valves of the PCV system causing buildup. either way you look at it a catch can isn't going to make these problems go away.

walky_talky20
02-01-2011, 08:11 PM
2.8's don't really make that much blow-by. Not much at all compared to the 1.8T. It wouldn't hurt anything, but I don't think it is very necessary. The gunk is probably more to do with lack of flow in the pcv/breather system. Usually the suction jet pump clogs first and everything goes downhill from there.

FNK
02-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Alright, thank you!
No it was from the B6 section I guess...

P.S. I did change the whole PCV system and check valves, those where due! Also I need to clean the valve covers and the oil pan.

4A Play
02-09-2011, 07:52 AM
I did a catch can setup just because my PVC system hoses were all shot and the crankcase breathers were all shattered too. In the year the cans been on I haven't caught a single drop of blow-by. Not 1 drop.

ECS Tuning-Audi
02-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Catch cans aren't really necessary for N/A cars-IMO not worth it.