PDA

View Full Version : 1996 front speakers

vtraudt
02-01-2011, 07:59 AM
The front passenger side speaker scratches, and the front driver side speaker does not work at all. I have been looking for used/cheap Audi speakers, but none found.
I want to fix it now. Does anyone have used speakers that fit?
If not, what aftermarket ones (size) do I need to get?

How can I tell if the upper (tweeters) work or also need to be replaced?

Euromike
02-01-2011, 08:22 AM
i used 4' volfenhags. you have to get creative to mount them correctly. theres 4 screws for american speakers, and 3 on german speakers.

upper tweeters, just put your ear to them

rAphb0y
02-01-2011, 04:44 PM
The front passenger side speaker scratches, and the front driver side speaker does not work at all. I have been looking for used/cheap Audi speakers, but none found.
I want to fix it now. Does anyone have used speakers that fit?
If not, what aftermarket ones (size) do I need to get?

How can I tell if the upper (tweeters) work or also need to be replaced?

4" is the correct size for a direct fit, but if you want you can throw 5 1/4 size speaker on there, only thing you'll have to do is make new holes considering german speakers have 3 holes and american speakers have 4 holes.. I just replaced all my speakers with POLK DB series and couldn't be any happier for the price. GL OP

vtraudt
02-01-2011, 05:36 PM
5 1/4 fits? If its just to drill new holes, I am capable enough for that.
The Polks are those?

Polk Audio db521
5-1/4" 2-way car speakers

Did you leave the tweeter on (coax) or separate in the OEM (up on the door) location?
Crutchfield wants $90 (hope for the pair, incl. shipping).

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/products/2009/20/107/h107DB521-f.jpeg

stevejones19
02-01-2011, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't say 5-1/4 "just fits" or nothing. I have some infinities sitting out in the garage because i couldn't figure out a decent way to get them in there. Once summer comes back though i'll try a little harder.

rAphb0y
02-01-2011, 05:55 PM
5 1/4 fits? If its just to drill new holes, I am capable enough for that.
The Polks are those?

Polk Audio db521
5-1/4" 2-way car speakers

Did you leave the tweeter on (coax) or separate in the OEM (up on the door) location?
Crutchfield wants $90 (hope for the pair, incl. shipping).

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/products/2009/20/107/h107DB521-f.jpeg

Yes. Those are the ones I put on the front doors, all it took was an extra 2 holes for them to fit. It's not rocket science. I left the tweeter just the way they are, considering my OEM ones were shot also. Search eBay for them. I got the front pair for $53 and the rear deck for $77 which is a lot lower then regular price (Crutchfield).

vtraudt
02-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Yes. Those are the ones I put on the front doors, all it took was an extra 2 holes for them to fit. It's not rocket science. I left the tweeter just the way they are, considering my OEM ones were shot also. Search eBay for them. I got the front pair for $53 and the rear deck for $77 which is a lot lower then regular price (Crutchfield).

I found them (under $60 shipped for the pair).
What did you put on the rear?
Tweeter up high would be nice. Anything to match and fit in OEM location?

rAphb0y
02-01-2011, 09:45 PM
For the rear deck I used a DB651 I think its the actual model number.. Also the same idea 2-way speaker with the tweeter in the middle of the speaker.. Everything sounds pretty good all together.

Kronic Budz
02-01-2011, 11:39 PM
a coaxle 2-way speaker isnt a bad decision for the front doors of our cars becuase it puts the tweeter down lower with the mid instead of it being higher near your ear(and also usually directed) This can sound better, because sometimes in our situation(speakers attaching to door panel instead of frame which causes the mid driver to loose midbass. you will get a tweeter that is pronounced too much, so a tweeter mounting lower on the mid will give the speaker and more "full" sound. sometimes i wish my tweeters werent so loud on my component 5 1/4 setup. a component setup would probably be louder but maybe wouldnt blend as well with the mid... something to think about

vtraudt
02-02-2011, 05:37 AM
"sometimes i wish my tweeters werent so loud on my component 5 1/4 setup"
You know you can turn them down. It may be as simple as adding an inline resister (the tweeter does not get much power, so a 5 watt rating should be plenty). Get a few different Ohm values from Radio Shack (1, 2, 5 Ohm range) and try them out.
Likely, the crossover high pass for your tweeter is a simple capacitor. You would quiet the tweeter also by increasing the crossover frequency for the high pass by changing the capacitor and let the tweeter handle only higher frequencies (which makes it less 'audible' but still enhancing the sound, since the higher frequencies from a tweeter down at your knees do not reach your ears; they get absorbed (and are largely directional).

Kronic Budz
02-02-2011, 11:14 AM
"sometimes i wish my tweeters werent so loud on my component 5 1/4 setup"
You know you can turn them down. It may be as simple as adding an inline resister (the tweeter does not get much power, so a 5 watt rating should be plenty). Get a few different Ohm values from Radio Shack (1, 2, 5 Ohm range) and try them out.
Likely, the crossover high pass for your tweeter is a simple capacitor. You would quiet the tweeter also by increasing the crossover frequency for the high pass by changing the capacitor and let the tweeter handle only higher frequencies (which makes it less 'audible' but still enhancing the sound, since the higher frequencies from a tweeter down at your knees do not reach your ears; they get absorbed (and are largely directional).

pm'd

stevejones19
02-02-2011, 11:07 PM
No, don't keep your guys stuff secrets and pm's. lol. There is not much on car audio in the B5 world, post it all here. [:D] lol

A4Shizzle
02-03-2011, 03:09 AM
You guys are doing it all wrong...

Just kidding!

I put 5.25" Nakamichi's components in and I must say they sound MUCH better than stock. I personally don't like the sound of coaxials in the doors because it lowers the stage too much for me. Coaxials don't usually have very good crossover circuits from what I've seen either. Don't get me wrong, my friends car with Polk coaxials (don't remember which ones) still sounds better than stock, but not quite as clean. These are the speakers I went with (http://www.electronicsbonanza.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5661&sku=6241&src=g) (although I bought them from somewhere else) and they have adjustable tweeter levels in the crossover if you need.

Installing them was kind of a pain since I did things proper and made my own adapter plate. I also had to trim a little bit of the door panel and some of the metal frame too since I wanted to keep the speaker centered in the stock opening. Tweets were cake tho, 2 min max once the panel is off so that's one more plus for components. I have pics if you guys are interested.

A few things to note are that soft dome tweeters will sound smoother and won't have as much harsh/piercing sound compared to metal dome tweets (I hate those shrill highs). Same idea with the composite woofer cones. This combo sounds great with voice and most music, but won't get as loud and won't cut through loud bass as well as metal cone woofers and tweets.

It REALLY IS all about what you like and what your goals are. Just because I like this setup doesn't mean you won't like something else more!

vtraudt
03-01-2011, 05:55 AM
BTW:
I put a 5.25 two way in (no name). Made adapter by cutting 2 rings out of 1/4 MDF I had around. Ring 1: 100mm ID, 150mm OD, Ring 2: 118mm ID, 150 OD. Glued them together (100mm matching). Traced the outside of the new 5.25 speaker (with the 4 mounting ears). Cut excess off. Marked position of 3 existing mounting posts. Marked ears/holes of new one (make sure to put ears in away from 3 and 9 o'clock position (i.e. horizontal) so they don't interfere with door sheet metal in front and plastic ridge of door panel in back.
Cut off the mounting ring of the existing 4" speaker. Had to grind it flat under an angle (on belt sander) since speaker is tilted, to get a flush surface to mate with the adpter. This ring used as a spacer/seal (may not be needed, but the extra few mm helps to clear the plastic ridge).

I kept the 2 way as is (does not hurt to have some highs coming from down there).

I found that the factory tweeter in upper position has a 6db highpass (capacitor) in line in the positive wire leading to the tweeter. So it can be wired directly to the full range speaker. Since the new speaker also had a 4 Ohm resistance, the head unit amp should not suffer.

Worked well.

Final result: the factory 4" actually produces more and better lows than the (granted: cheapo) new 5 1/4 (which are more readily available than 4"; and adapter needed to be made anyway to go from 3 to the 4 mounting points).

steffie905
03-30-2011, 06:15 PM
5.25" fit in the front (just slight modifications are required)

S4M
03-30-2011, 07:32 PM
so you figure whats wrong with your lower speaker? My left side door speakers dont work at all. i tried taking my radio out and pushing everything in.

vtraudt
03-31-2011, 05:26 AM
so you figure whats wrong with your lower speaker? My left side door speakers dont work at all. i tried taking my radio out and pushing everything in.

Mine did not work either. Turned that wires were plugged in wrong (the driver side factory speaker harness has 2 plugs, one for the speaker (and leading to the tweeter), one from the prewire for handsfree speaker (and the speaker has to coils for that reason!!!). I plugged the connectors into the right place and the worked.

Worth a try, since both of your speakers are out.

A4drei
03-31-2011, 11:26 PM
Mine did not work either. Turned that wires were plugged in wrong (the driver side factory speaker harness has 2 plugs, one for the speaker (and leading to the tweeter), one from the prewire for handsfree speaker (and the speaker has to coils for that reason!!!). I plugged the connectors into the right place and the worked.

Worth a try, since both of your speakers are out.

I am S4m. (my brothers account forgot to sign out)
Well weird thing is, If i take a sharp turn, The speakers turn on! stay on for like 5 mins then dead again.