PDA

View Full Version : Key fob replacement

discontained
01-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Ok I need a new fob. I got one off ebay a few months ago it doesnt work. It has 3 buttons and it says 8Z0 837 231F/ 1993A4 02/03 on the fob . Anyway which one should I be looking for. its for a 2001 audi A4 1.8t all that jazz. I tried to search but have given myself a headache.

witwer4444
01-31-2011, 06:49 PM
open up your original key and the numbers have to match. then its just a matter of programming it correctly and it should work. did you check batteries?

discontained
01-31-2011, 06:50 PM
I never actually got a keyfob when I got my car so I been trying to find out which one works. I have the valet key and this keyfob but it dont work I tried every way to program it that was on the web with no luck

witwer4444
01-31-2011, 06:52 PM
I never actually got a keyfob when I got my car so I been trying to find out which one works.

Keep trying fobs then. Idk if any of us can really help you since we don't know your factory fob codes.

Getoffamybacon
01-31-2011, 07:08 PM
looks like you need a 4D0837231T 01C:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/4D0837231T_01C/ES377308/

unless you have an Avant which is 4D0837231P 01C

spyder101
01-31-2011, 07:09 PM
instead of buying keys until you find the right one, why dont you go through the dealership to find the correct key. Just give them your VIN so the parts dept can filter them out.

Polski
01-31-2011, 07:15 PM
I dont think the numbers need to match, maybe you messed up the procedure.
I, for example, have a 1997 aeb, and im using a key fob from a 2004 TT, which has three buttons + panic on the side. Works perfectly.
And im 95% sure the numbers dont match those of my original remote...

discontained
01-31-2011, 07:23 PM
looks like you need a 4D0837231T 01C:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/4D0837231T_01C/ES377308/

unless you have an Avant which is 4D0837231P 01C

Not after my live chat I just had with there "customer service". I was gonna order that one but the guy wouldnt reset my password so i could get into my account, turns out he was more interested in my Credit Card number more then helping me ... check out this chat convo I had with him

You have logged in our system, please wait for the operator...
Please wait while we find an operator to assist you.
All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
Thank you for your patience. Jay picked up the chat and will help you now!
Jay:*Hello, how may I help you?
Me:*Hi, i cant log into my account. I am trying to complete a purchase.
Me:*...
Jay:*Did you make the order already or no
Jay:*...
Me:*Im in the process right now trying to check out
Jay:*What are the Es part numbers to the items you want ?
Me:*377308
Jay:*I can place the order for you , and in the conformation email after I place the order for you I can send you a new password and so forth .
Jay:*anything else ?
Me:*Well the card I have on my account is a old one I need to add my new one
Jay:*I can add it .
Jay:*Anything else ?
Me:*Can you reset my password? I rather add it myself. I tried 2 times to reset it and got the email but the password isnt working
Jay:*I will have to do it for you.
Me:*ok
Jay:*Anything else ???
Me:*So did you reset my pass?
Jay:*No, I will do it once I place your order , that is why I have been asking you anything else ?
Me:*how can I place my order when I cant log into my account...
Jay:*I will place the order for you and send you new password that way you will be able to log in
Me:*So i have to give you my Credit Card number?
Jay:*YEs .
Me:*HA! no thanks. Thats sketchy how you wont help me with my password yet you want my CC which I wont give you on a unsecure live chat....
Jay:*ok thanks.
Jay:*bye
Jay terminated the conversation.

instead of buying keys until you find the right one, why dont you go through the dealership to find the correct key. Just give them your VIN so the parts dept can filter them out.

Well the closest dealership is 2 hours away. + they more then likely want overpriced for the part so thats why. I tried to ask them before and they said I cant get it anywhere besides them and they wouldnt disclose my "code"

I dont think the numbers need to match, maybe you messed up the procedure.
I, for example, have a 1997 aeb, and im using a key fob from a 2004 TT, which has three buttons + panic on the side. Works perfectly.
And im 95% sure the numbers dont match those of my original remote...

Hmmm do you remember how you did it?

Polski
01-31-2011, 07:42 PM
yeah, gimmie a second. I'll get you my thread

Post # 25, I skipped the clearing part.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/334618-Carrying-2-sets-of-keys-around..inconvinient-solution?highlight=

discontained
01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
ok cool i will try that tomorrow. Thanks!

discontained
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Well that didnt work, didnt beep or anything changed the battery and tried again and still havent got anything.

edit; here is the keyfob I have
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Discontained/a4kf2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Discontained/a4kf1.jpg

Polski
02-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Just to make sure, the key you want to program is OUTSIDE of the car.

discontained
02-01-2011, 03:49 PM
yep i even tried several other methods, im gonna order anew vag-com cable and see if i can do it that way

Getoffamybacon
02-01-2011, 05:43 PM
you have the WRONG remote!! later models have rolling code transponders while earlier models (example: B5) have fixed code transponders. the remote you are trying to code will never work. you have to have the correct frequency transmitter as well. (see my post above for correct part numbers)

another thing to remember is you can only code so many remotes to a vehicle (i believe 8 or 9 is the limit). once all those slots are filled in the computer memory you have to wipe slots clean again with a vag-com or similar diagnostic tool prior to programming.

DRock3d
02-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Jay works for ecs and I can confirm that, I'd trust him but then again I live close to the place so I feel a little more secure than you.

spyder101
02-01-2011, 07:24 PM
like I said before...Give the parts department your VIN and get the correct remote! The programing is done with one key in the ignition and one key in the door lock. You need to keys two program the remotes.

hotshot32890
01-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Im north of Boston, do you guys that get your ebay keys cut do you go to the dealer or just any locksmith

Seerlah
01-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Some dealerships will cut ebay keys, others won't. Locksmith will cut it. It's their job.