PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to use a torsen diff on a quattro car as a FWD LSD?

andyrew
01-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Is it possible to use a torsen LSD from a quattro car in a FWD Trani as an LSD?

Question might seam odd, it should be pretty straight forward. Im sure some machining and such would be necessary, Im just curious if its possible.

somebody5788
01-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Is it possible to use a torsen LSD from a quattro car in a FWD Trani as an LSD?

Question might seam odd, it should be pretty straight forward. Im sure some machining and such would be necessary, Im just curious if its possible.

Bolt in? not at all. Possible? Maybe but it would be some work

walky_talky20
01-31-2011, 01:08 PM
I know for certain that the Formula SAE (college parking lot go karts) use 01A quattro torsen diffs as the rear diff sometimes. Part of it involves the engineering guys to design a case for it, and the machine guys to create it. As far as FWD, that's a long shot. You get the same thing if you get a Quaife diff.

andyrew
01-31-2011, 01:16 PM
I ask as I have my Quattro trani with center diff, Its got a shot first gear syncro (I have a new/used trani in my A4). My thought was somehow using the torsen diff as an LSD (Since it is an LSD...) on a FWD trani when I got my hands on one...

Hell I even thought for a little bit of welding up the trani so that its FWD (NOT welding the diff, welding the hollow shaft to the inner shaft... People do it to the Subi trani all the time with good results..)... But I am thinking that could end up bad... However it would be a great test run till I get a FWD trani for mockup and testing purposes..

Meh, im just researching at this point..

somebody5788
02-01-2011, 06:07 AM
If I were you I'd buy some washers and make it a 4:1 dif and swap the dif into your car before you do anything else. You wont regret it! That way there is no down time though hehe.

You can even send him the whole dif and he'll do it for you if you want, IDK how much he'd want though. I know for a fact he also has an extra dif there too (my spare one)