PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing life-span



jturnbull
01-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Is it normal for a wheel bearing to last only 20-30k. I just replaced it 2 years ago and its making the noise like its on its way out again [headbang]

A4Shizzle
01-31-2011, 01:00 PM
I had over 130k miles on the originals before I had to replace them and that was only because of hitting curbs... We did have one fail but that was because we damaged it while installing. If you're careful putting it in and you buy a reputable brand they should last much longer than that. My replacements are going on 40k miles now with no signs of trouble.

MikeD7
01-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Is it normal for a wheel bearing to last only 20-30k. I just replaced it 2 years ago and its making the noise like its on its way out again [headbang]

Are your wheels bent? That will fry a new wheel bearing real quick

jturnbull
01-31-2011, 03:08 PM
No they are not, but one of the threads on my hub is stripped so its got only 4 lugs.

FNK
01-31-2011, 08:49 PM
90% of bearing should do 200 000km, the other 10% is better or worst (out of normal range value).
If your bearing lasted only 20~30k before replacing, the mechanic who did the job doesn't know THE right and ONLY way to press a bearing.
Or some other factor might have ruined it, although it's a small probability.


No they are not, but one of the threads on my hub is stripped so its got only 4 lugs.
Tap the hole for a bigger thread and use an insert the right size/thread for your lung nut to screw in propertly.
This might help your bearing, but the load is on the centering ring...

Polski
01-31-2011, 09:53 PM
I would assume that spirited driving can also affect their life span.

walky_talky20
01-31-2011, 10:06 PM
Aggressively offset wheels or wheel spacers can also have an effect.

Euromike
02-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Now when were talking bent wheels having an effect, does that mean wheels that are bent to a point where they cant be balanced correctly?

i think mine may be the slightest bit bent, as i feel a slight vibration at certian speeds, but my wheel shop says its balanced correctly.

walky_talky20
02-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Wheel vibration can be caused by things other than the wheel being out of balance. The tire can also be out of round (run-out issue). Basically the tire is lumpy, but it can balance out perfectly. A wheel shop should be able to check the run-out. Broken belt in the tire can do it as well -usually that is pretty noticeable. Other things like worn axle joints can also cause vibrations, but usually those will generally change when switching from accel/decel/coasting.