PDA

View Full Version : IC spec help w/ stock bumper!!

AudiNFS
01-30-2011, 05:38 PM
My car is a 1998 A4 1.8TQ. I am looking at a good deal for a Greddy IC w/ custom piping and need to know what dimensions will work with the stock bumper. I've already figured out that anything over 2.5" thick will require cutting. But what is the maximum for length and height to help the IC flow optimally?

Thanks as always AZ

austinjmiller
01-30-2011, 06:21 PM
I just put a 27x9x2.5 intercooler on my B6 and I had to trip the support bar ALOT to get it to fit, Im not sure how big of a difference is between the b5 and b6, I just thought id throw in some input.....

AudiNFS
01-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks man I appreciate it. I'm not sure what the differences are either. But I'll definitely look into the b6 and see how the bumpers compare

A4Shizzle
01-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Are you running the stock turbo? I haven't put one of those in because I'm still stock and pretty much any core with the right dimensions requires serious cutting.

Dynamite
01-30-2011, 08:13 PM
search a little: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/199975-Pic-request-FMIC-behind-stock-bumpers?highlight=intercooler
27x6x2.5 overall is about as big as you can go without cutting of the re-bar, and even then its very close and some people seam to have to anyway, and still have to cut the bumper and grills.

AudiNFS
01-30-2011, 08:25 PM
search a little: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/199975-Pic-request-FMIC-behind-stock-bumpers?highlight=intercooler
27x6x2.5 overall is about as big as you can go without cutting of the re-bar, and even then its very close and some people seam to have to anyway, and still have to cut the bumper and grills.

I have no problem with having to cut the bar and grills or entirely removing the grills. I just want to make sure what dimensions will fit behind the stock bumper. Like maximum dimensions you know? I saw on that thread link that some guy (or at least it looked like) had a stock bumper on with the bottom of the IC hanging out of the bottom of the bumper. I don't wanna have to have it look like that.

The pic I mean is about halfway down the first page and is a beige A4

Dynamite
01-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Well the re bar is at the bottom of the bumper, you dont really want to cut into the wide part of the bumper here (re bar is fine though), (it will loose all its strength and will look really stupid) if you dont want to have it sticking out the bottom (fare enough too thats just asking for trouble) then the max hight is 6"/150mm. because of the bumper and radiator supports on the chassis then you are limited on width to 27"/690mm really, but can probably go to 28" and then have the corner pipes bent out where the grills are if its really tight. (total width not core width) as for depth, 2.5/64mm is the thickest you can go without removing the air con, or completely cutting the middle out of the bumper. Basically then if you go over 6" and remove the re-bar you dont gain much flow because the bumper is in the way, you cant go over 27/28 wide because there is car in the way, if you go more than 2.5" thick then you have to cut the middle out of the bumper or remove the air con. if you dont think that 27x6x2.5 isnt big enough then get a s4/rs4 bumper or get water meth or water sprayers. water sprayers work really well on the street, I use them, basically they just spray water onto the IC, on the street then an IC is just a heat sink so by adding water to it you make it able to 'suck' more heat out of the air and into the IC than if it was dry due to the high specific heat capacity of water. then when your not on it hard then the air flows over and cools the IC down and blows the water off, next time you punch it then you spray more water on. its not a miracle cure but they do work well. W/M is also a good option and there are a few guys using it here, and lots in the b6 forum, I know of one b6 making 320hp on the stock SMIC with water meth.

AudiNFS
01-31-2011, 12:05 PM
ACtually found that awesome racetec intercooler in the classifieds. I think they're the best fit?

J Ozzie
01-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Sweet thread i was wondering the same! Subscribed!

Dynamite
01-31-2011, 10:53 PM
a few people have used the racetec ones and find them ok. I couldnt find one in the classifieds though. If you are talking about the race works one in there it wont fit without an s4/rs4 bumper.