PDA

View Full Version : Abs Wiring bad?

Bvulic
01-29-2011, 03:02 PM
I have went through 2 abs modules once rebuilt and once I bought a used module and the ABS and brake lights are still on. I cannot communicate with the abs module. The repairman at the dealership told me theres a wiring problem most likely. I have no idea what to do now, he said it would take extremely long and the labor costs would be very high. I really have no idea. anyone else have this common issue? I dont know where to go. I've searched for about an hour now..

walky_talky20
01-29-2011, 03:26 PM
I think you've substituted the word "once" for the words "one is" at least one or more times in your post, which is making it quite difficult to understand. Just so we are clear:

You got your factory original module rebuilt, it worked fantastic for a some time (1. how much time?), and then failed.
Then you bought a used one, which also worked for a short time (2. how much time?), and then it failed as well.
Dealer blames wiring fault for the early death of the otherwise perfect modules.

3. Did I get that right?
4. Who rebuilt the modules?
5. Did they offer to look at them again for you?

The answers to these (5) question shall determine my advice to you in this case.

Bvulic
01-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Sorry for being unclear. I has sent it to kompresd to be rebuilt, received it and the lights remained on. Same problem So i decided to ditch that idea and went out and found a used abs pump and ecu assembly. The complete part. i took off the electronic part and put in on the car. The lights were off immediately after turning on the car after the install, then about 5 minutes later, the lights came right back on. Some days, the lights do not turn on at all, and some days, the lights are on all day. I went over to the dealership and had a repairman look at it, and he said it probably isn't the ABS module after all, it has to be wiring somewhere. I hope i was a little more clear now. He also cannot communicate with the abs. Thanks for your help man I'm just extremely annoyed by this

Euromike
01-29-2011, 03:48 PM
He also cannot communicate with the abs

Your ABS module is bad. that is the telltale sign.
When they first start going bad, the light comes on intermittently, and eventually it is on all the time.
Buying used ones is just a waste of time, they all go bad eventually.

Bvulic
01-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah thats what i thought after I rebuilt it. I just dont believe that two modules are bad. I feel like it is wiring somewhere... I just have no idea. any way to desolder or take out the bulbs out of the instrument cluster?

walky_talky20
01-29-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm pretty sure k0mpresd will guarantee his work. I'd give him a shout. He may want to re-do your original, or start fresh with the other one you have now. See what he thinks.

Bvulic
01-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Ok, im almost positive that is not the module. What else can it be is what Im trying to ask. Kompresd told me himself that he is unable to fix it. He refunded my money as well. Im trying to ask what else it could possibly be.

walky_talky20
01-29-2011, 09:41 PM
At the times when the lights are not flashing, can you still not connect the module with vag-com?

I suppose it could be a bad cluster. But if you have 2 different modules and they give different symptoms (1 doesn't work at all, 1 works intermittently), then that would lead me to believe the problem is with the modules, not something else.

The exceedingly common failure mode here is a bad ABS control unit. That is pretty much what fails in the system, unless something has happened, like the car as in an accident where the harness was damaged or some-such. If it were mine, I would send the intermittently working unit out for repair, or try a 3rd module. I hope you can get it sorted.

Dallas09
01-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Your ABS module is bad. that is the telltale sign.
When they first start going bad, the light comes on intermittently, and eventually it is on all the time.
Buying used ones is just a waste of time, they all go bad eventually.

But, you also wouldnt have communication if the module didnt have power going to it. And, if it was a problem with the cluster, you should still be able to connect to the ABS with VAG.

Like walky said, the most common problem is the module going bad. But if it were me, Id try making sure there is in fact power going to the module, then drop some more money on a third module.

Bvulic
01-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Is there any way to disconnect the light bulbs ? or desolder the lights? So I do not have the flashing lights in my instrument cluster? I just can't go through the trouble of finding another modules and installing it. I am just beyond annoyed. This light has been on for almost a year and a half now.

Dallas09
01-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah you can do that, if you have a very very early model i think like 1996, there are bulbs. But after that there are leds and you would have to desolder them.

Bvulic
01-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Damn, is there a DIY or a writeup on how to take out the cluster? I dont really know where to start. Ive got a 99.5.

walky_talky20
01-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Wow, that's drastic. I would recommend you send your intermittently working unit to get repaired. If the flashing lights are bothering you, taking apart that cluster will drive you insane. I would not recommend disassembling it that far. As I understand, it is quite difficult to get the needles back on in the exact right positions. That is, the re-calibration of the gauge needles will need to be done, and it is tedious. Swapping the ABS module seems much easier to me. And as a bonus you get Anti-Lock Brakes, Anti-Slip Regulation, Electronic Differential Lock, Electronic Brake Force Distribution, etc. Lots of safety features in that little box.

Bvulic
01-31-2011, 06:25 PM
I believe that, but I just have a very good feeling that it is not the abs module. Its possible that both modules went bad, but to me, Highly unlikely almost impossible. Seeing as i received the used abs module in working condition and got the light back on only minutes after installing it for the first time. Giving the time for the unit to go bad to be around 4-5 minutes after installation. Does this not seem ridiculous to anyone else? but i understand what you are saying. It is tedious work.

Getoffamybacon
01-31-2011, 06:56 PM
check fuse #7. should be a mini 10 amp fuse that powers the control module section of the abs unit. make sure it is not blown and use a test light to make sure power is going through it.

audifirst
01-31-2011, 08:05 PM
I believe that, but I just have a very good feeling that it is not the abs module. Its possible that both modules went bad, but to me, Highly unlikely almost impossible. Seeing as i received the used abs module in working condition and got the light back on only minutes after installing it for the first time. Giving the time for the unit to go bad to be around 4-5 minutes after installation. Does this not seem ridiculous to anyone else? but i understand what you are saying. It is tedious work.

I have went through the same ordeal as you are going for. I wasted money on different ABS modules knowing that I have 50/50 chance that they do work, my original failed shipped to get repaired , it worked for two weeks and it started doing again, bought from junk yard and worked for week and abs light came on, no communication with ABS, went back got another replacement they had, it didn't work either, so I saved up money and bought it brand new abs module from ecs tuning and problem fixed, for under $500 best money spent, no more issues. I can tell you that most of ABS modules on EBAY or junk yard are original units that are defective or will fail shortly..

Bvulic
01-31-2011, 08:42 PM
@audifirst, Yeah I hear ya man. I've spent a bunch of money on trying to get rid of some bull shit lights lolll I feel real dumb. But yeah, I tried dodging the new module idea but it's a lot harder than it looks.