PDA

View Full Version : Uuugghhh. Dead again

bvergeer
01-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Car is a 1.8tq. Codes are: p0010 and P0102.

I know the P0102 is the MAF. I've cleaned it once but that didn't work so I'm ordering a new one.

I think the P0010 is the cam position sensor, right? Because from what I can gather here a P0011 is the cam tensioner at the back of the motor?

Here is why I'm asking. I started experiencing and intermittent stutter not long after got the car. It was throwing a p0010 then so I changed out the CPS with a cheapo from Autozone, that didn't help. I discovered that the timing belt which was only 12k old was off one tooth so I straightened that up. Not long after (50 km) it stalled and wouldn't start. After a lot of fussing around I put the old CPS back on and it started. That lasted about 250kms and now it's dead again.

Now I'm not sure which way to turn. Are both CPS's bad? I guess it's possible. Should I get yet a third or am I barking up the wrong tree all together. This is a no spark issue, so I'm guessing that no or improper signal from the CPS is turning spark off.

Bob

Mjan1992
01-26-2011, 08:33 AM
could be the CPS. Mine went bad and i stalled out and it wouldnt start either. Swapped it and was fine again, but thats a part that you shouldn't really cheap out on I don't think personally

walky_talky20
01-26-2011, 07:45 PM
The 1.8T will run just fine without the cam position sensor plugged in. I drove mine for 3 days like that, just to try it out. The only problem is getting it started. Because the cam sensor tells the ECU which stroke it is on, without that information the ECU will simply "guess". Half the time it will guess wrong, and the car will not start. When the ECU guesses correctly, the car will start and will just fine until you turn it off.

In my experience I found that it would "guess wrong" actually more than half of the time. And it would be consistently wrong if I kept the starter "rhythm" the same (cranking for exactly 2 seconds on each try). I would have to mix it up a little bit (crank for 2 seconds, then 1 second, the 3 seconds, etc, to make it random) to get it to "guess correctly".

I believe that is because it always guesses the same (for instance guessing that compression stroke is the second revolution). So it will entirely depend on where the motor comes to rest. In my test, it seemed to come to rest in the wrong position most often, but it would always fire after a couple tries, then run flawlessly until I shut it down. It should be noted that Variable Valve Timing on the 01+ cars is disabled because it cannot measure the advance without the cam sensor.

The point is: if you unplug the cam sensor and it is still not starting, then the problem is not the cam sensor - it is something else. If it only fails to start when the sensor is plugged in: Bingo.

EDIT: Just looked up your P0010 code (should have done that first, lol) and it is this:
P0010: Camshaft "A" Position Actuator Circuit: Bank 1 Malfunction

So that code is referring to the Cam *Actuator*, ie: the device that moves the camshaft. AKA the cam chain tensioner, or more correctly the cam chain adjuster. Specifically it is referring to a circuit malfunction. First, I would do a vag-com output test on that circuit to see if it clicks appropriately. Next I'd check the cam chain timing.

bvergeer
01-27-2011, 12:13 PM
EDIT: Just looked up your P0010 code (should have done that first, lol) and it is this:
P0010: Camshaft "A" Position Actuator Circuit: Bank 1 Malfunction

So that code is referring to the Cam *Actuator*, ie: the device that moves the camshaft. AKA the cam chain tensioner, or more correctly the cam chain adjuster. Specifically it is referring to a circuit malfunction. First, I would do a vag-com output test on that circuit to see if it clicks appropriately. Next I'd check the cam chain timing.

Don't have a Vag and I'm running out of time to get this thing in a reliable state. There is a local shop that has one, guess I'll get them to give me a diagnostic and go from there.

Thanks

bvergeer
02-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Damn ECU relay "#30". Didn't fix the MAF or timing code, but the car is running......helps a lot with diagnosing and fixing the other issues.

Thanks all