PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine belt came off, quick questions

d3m0nz3y3
01-26-2011, 07:03 AM
I had been hearing a hissing sound coming from the engine for some time now, but couldnt pin pont it. However last night all of a sudden i hear wierd noises then loose my power steering. The battery light also came on. Once i opened the hood saw that my serpentine belt came off the pully i guess. The best is not broken at all and not sure how it came off. I had the timing belt and all that jazz along with the serpentine belt replaced 2 years ago through the audi dealership. Any one know what could have caused the belt to come off? Also, is this something i should fight the dealer to fix for free?
Thanks

DRA4
01-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Was the timing off?

d3m0nz3y3
01-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Just an update, my tensioner broke off causing the serpentine belt to come off. An important fact i found out is that this tensioner is not replaced when timing belt & serpentine belt is changed. Makes sense to change this part at that time to avoid cost of labor again. Hope this helps someone...

Kurt Koseck
01-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Same thing just happened to my 2003 A4. It has 107,000 miles on it, so I am going to do the timing belt now. The serp belt tensioner pulley should not have failed like this. The bearing is a cheap bearing, and you can't grease it. I'm sure that there are lots of A4s out there that have had this fail.
Come-on Audi, don't make your cars with crummy parts. Keep your standards high.