PDA

View Full Version : ebay vag-com

outti-a4wd
01-25-2011, 06:23 PM
i want to get a vag-com system i heard the ebay ones work fine to clear some codes, i also heard that you want to get the ebay one with free update softwear?
and i guss their is like a nicer ebay one i heard i looked on our forum and i see some threads about them but their only about on two to replys long and their not talking about any thing important or to inlighten the situation in choosing one.

adr3naline fix
01-25-2011, 06:44 PM
The $9 eBay cable is shareware. It will tell you 2 or three codes with meanings, and then the rest will just be the code - which you can easily look up, or find the full PDF containing all the Codes, their meanings, and the suggested procedures to fix them. The shareware "updates" are just downloads on the Ross-Tech site.

The shareware version will also not allow you to view logs above 25 (?) or perform any other major coding/logging.

I've used the shareware $9 cable for the entire time I've owned the car - if you just get a code, you can find all the info you need/

And yes - it clears them as well.

outti-a4wd
01-25-2011, 06:51 PM
cool lol is this the coorect cable that will fit my model i have a 97 a4 qmt? so you said i can log with this vag com? log like runs and see how my engine responds to diffrent parts lol i never used one and i want to get into it because i heard you can do some nice things with just the ebay cable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USB-Cable-KKL-409-1-VW-AUDI-OBD2-OBD-OBDII-VAG-409-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb48079bcQQitemZ26072 6356412QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

adr3naline fix
01-25-2011, 06:56 PM
cool lol is this the coorect cable that will fit my model i have a 97 a4 qmt? so you said i can log with this vag com? log like runs and see how my engine responds to diffrent parts lol i never used one and i want to get into it because i heard you can do some nice things with just the ebay cable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/USB-Cable-KKL-409-1-VW-AUDI-OBD2-OBD-OBDII-VAG-409-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb48079bcQQitemZ26072 6356412QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

I do not believe you can log anything - only small things like Misfires by the cylinder, coolant temps, etc. If you're looking for a performance meter, there are programs that can be downloaded to just about any phone or iPod with an accelerometer.

Kczach
01-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Just go to www.ross-tech.com and get the real thing. I got mine a while back and it is a lot user friendly than my friend's communist version. It also has updates that are available unlike the pirated versions. You spend 60K on a car and you cheap out on equipment for it? You should really buy American for your German car!

adr3naline fix
01-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Just go to www.ross-tech.com and get the real thing. I got mine a while back and it is a lot user friendly than my friend's communist version. It also has updates that are available unlike the pirated versions. You spend 60K on a car and you cheap out on equipment for it? You should really buy American for your German car!

Maybe like $6k.... ha

outti-a4wd
01-25-2011, 07:03 PM
no im not looking for preformance i was just wondering because i heard people talk about logging i dnt know excatly know what they ment by that but i see what your talking about thats cool i just want one for a diagnostic tool.

outti-a4wd
01-25-2011, 07:06 PM

honstly i just want somthing that can read and clear codes so i was wondering if that ebay one will do fine would it work? for preformance i will get dynotuned at 034motorsport their in my city i just wanted this so if a cell came up.

adr3naline fix
01-25-2011, 07:08 PM
honstly i just want somthing that can read and clear codes so i was wondering if that ebay one will do fine would it work? for preformance i will get dynotuned at 034motorsport their in my city i just wanted this so if a cell came up.

In that case, it will do exactly what you're looking for.

Off track: The dyno apps in the Android and Apple market are a lot of fun if you want to screw around, and can be very accurate depending on your launch, weigh calculation, and drivetrain loss. Just make sure it's mounted to your dash securely [>_<]

outti-a4wd
01-25-2011, 07:11 PM
In that case, it will do exactly what you're looking for.

Off track: The dyno apps in the Android and Apple market are a lot of fun if you want to screw around, and can be very accurate depending on your launch, weigh calculation, and drivetrain loss. Just make sure it's mounted to your dash securely [>_<]

will the ebay cord work with my car vag com 409.1?

adr3naline fix
01-25-2011, 07:30 PM
will the ebay cord work with my car vag com 409.1?

Yep, that's what I'm running right now.

outti-a4wd
01-25-2011, 07:32 PM
cool i cant wait to see what this thing does. so whats logging about on the system?

adr3naline fix
01-25-2011, 07:40 PM
cool i cant wait to see what this thing does. so whats logging about on the system?

I don't have the full version, so someone else will have to chime in on the Logging that can be recorded/saved with the full version. But with the shareware $9 eBay cable & software download you can log blocks that judge the number of misfires on each cylinder (a great think for our little I4's considering coil pack/plug issues), and other things that will give you an idea of which sensors are going sour on ya.

It's all you really need unless you are attempting to tweak a tune. There is a crack for the full software out there, but it is a pain-in-the-ass to do.

A4Shizzle
01-25-2011, 08:14 PM

The logs are limited without the full version, but it lets you record things like engine rpm, vehicle speed, coolant temperature, intake temperature, timing, airflow, and just about anything else the car's computer sees. You can then put these records into a spreadsheet (like MS Excel) and use them to help diagnose problems. You can even setup graphs.

For instance: if you want to check your MAF, you can easily record the relationship between rpm and airflow. You can then post that here for others to reference when helping you.

FWIW I think every Audi owner on the message boards should have one of these. If your serious enough about working on your car to post on a message board, you should at least get the ebay cable and shareware version of the software. Too many people ask for help without providing enough information to pinpoint a problem.

outti-a4wd
01-25-2011, 10:24 PM
The logs are limited without the full version, but it lets you record things like engine rpm, vehicle speed, coolant temperature, intake temperature, timing, airflow, and just about anything else the car's computer sees. You can then put these records into a spreadsheet (like MS Excel) and use them to help diagnose problems. You can even setup graphs.

For instance: if you want to check your MAF, you can easily record the relationship between rpm and airflow. You can then post that here for others to reference when helping you.

FWIW I think every Audi owner on the message boards should have one of these. If your serious enough about working on your car to post on a message board, you should at least get the ebay cable and shareware version of the software. Too many people ask for help without providing enough information to pinpoint a problem.

yeah i hear you i had a obd2 scan tool then i noticed it dnt work well lol so i saw vag com all over these forums and i love to work on my cars so its worth a shot for 10buck it beats going to the dealer or a euro shop to check the car out when it could be somthing simple, when it comes ill probly need help to find out how it works. i ordered ti about 1 hr ago because my seat belt air bag light came on at random when i was driving on the freeway yesterday would this clear it?

auh
01-26-2011, 05:35 AM
I used to use 409.1 with my ebay cable, but recently I've started using VCDS lite. Its free on the ross tech website as is the most up to date program they have. If you really wanna use the other features of the program you can pay the 100 bucks and get everything for it.

outti-a4wd
01-26-2011, 12:02 PM
That's not a bad price to up grade would ot clear the air bag light? Wi was on the freeway on a long trip and it pop up at random

auh
01-26-2011, 05:23 PM
you can clear the airbag light with out the paid version. the free version can clear most codes.

outti-a4wd
01-26-2011, 07:20 PM
I used to use 409.1 with my ebay cable, but recently I've started using VCDS lite. Its free on the ross tech website as is the most up to date program they have. If you really wanna use the other features of the program you can pay the 100 bucks and get everything for it.

so i can pay 100 and get the full version or like an up grade and it works with the ebay cable?

auh
01-26-2011, 07:27 PM
the ebay cable will clear the airbag codes with the free program.

here is a list of what you get with the free, 100, and full out VAG COM

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html

outti-a4wd
01-26-2011, 10:07 PM
the ebay cable will clear the airbag codes with the free program.

here is a list of what you get with the free, 100, and full out VAG COM

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html

i checked out the site so pretty much i can upgrade the ebay one at any time correct?

A4Shizzle
01-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Just get the ebay cable and try it out with the free version. Chances are you'll never need to upgrade, but if you really want to you can do it later. You can still use the same cable when you upgrade.

outti-a4wd
01-26-2011, 10:36 PM
oh thats perfect thanks guys for the help on the situation and sheading some light.

CamrideA4
01-27-2011, 11:06 AM
FWIW I just bought the cheap eBay cable and upgraded to the $99 VCDS Lite version so I could do proper logging on my turbo setup. Works great.

somebody5788
01-27-2011, 11:28 AM

Who the hell would spend that much on a B5? < 10k including mods.

outti-a4wd
01-27-2011, 01:07 PM
lmfao thats the same thing i was thinking but i dnt wanna comment such a rere comment haha

A4drei
01-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Maybe he meant 6k. or hes trying to make it sound like he wasted his life savings on his car.

outti-a4wd
01-27-2011, 02:13 PM
Maybe he meant 6k. or hes trying to make it sound like he wasted his life savings on his car.
Yeah I was like mam this dude serious he acting like he driving a lambo haha

outti-a4wd
01-29-2011, 06:56 PM
can you do a TBA with the ebay cable?

outti-a4wd
01-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Can you do a throttle body aliment with the eBay cable?

SR-71
01-30-2011, 03:48 PM
How should we know?

outti-a4wd
01-30-2011, 04:53 PM
beacause you use vag com to do a TBA i was wondering if the 409.1 verison will do it?