PDA

View Full Version : Relaying headlights on my pre-facelift 99 Avant....

JunkerAvant
01-25-2011, 08:03 AM
and my headlights are Xenon's with what appears to be inactive fog-lights in unit. [wrench]
I have several questions...[confused][o_o][headbang]
1/ Is the connector to each headlight all concentrated in the round connector at bottom of unit in rubber bellows?
2/ I am confused as to what color is High beam & what is Low beam? I have Bentley Manual but it says several different colors for wiring!
3/ Where is the wiring for Passenger side headlight? Under air intake?
4/ Best location to put Relays? On front plastic trim above fan & radiator?

A4Rob
01-25-2011, 08:09 AM
1/ Is the connector to each headlight all concentrated in the round connector at bottom of unit in rubber bellows?

Yes

2/ I am confused as to what color is High beam & what is Low beam? I have Bentley Manual but it says several different colors for wiring!

I would have to dig it up, but it has been posted here several times. ECS sells pigtails to splice in the updated D shaped headlight connectors. That will tell you which wire does what. Search the archives. They are on here somewhere.

3/ Where is the wiring for Passenger side headlight? Under air intake?

Yes. Pull the cold air snorkel off.

4/ Best location to put Relays? On front plastic trim above fan & radiator?

Are you trying to install a relay for the fogs? I guess I am not fully understanding your question.

JunkerAvant
01-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Yes
Are you trying to install a relay for the fogs? I guess I am not fully understanding your question.
Relaying the High & Low Beams Rob. The amp load on the OEM switch is ridiculous.

walky_talky20
01-25-2011, 05:10 PM
I'd want my relays inside the dash, just for longevity, so they don't have to be exposed to the elements. Not sure how feasible that is considering the wiring.

xdewaynex
01-25-2011, 05:41 PM
On my old truck, I had the relays under the hood by the ballasts, and no inner fenders. They were open to every element for 2 years and no problems at all. I took them off before getting rid of the truck and sold them to a friend of mine. To this day, theyre still working fine.

Avant Nate
01-25-2011, 07:00 PM
If you're pre facelift, doesn't that meen that you are a 99, not a 99.5?

JunkerAvant
01-26-2011, 06:20 AM
Yes I guess you are right.