PDA

View Full Version : Rear main seal & needle bearing (kind of urgent)

Polski
01-22-2011, 03:25 PM
hey guys,

I'm in the middle of doing the clutch job, I got everything out, just replacing all the seals now.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9895/img0303up.jpg (http://img30.imageshack.us/i/img0303up.jpg/)

The needle bearing that is in the middle of the rear main seal wont come out, how do i get it out? (to change it)

Thanks for any and every input.

biketsai
01-22-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't know about the other stuff, but that piece in the lower right is the throwing bearing.

Polski
01-22-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't know about the other stuff, but that piece in the lower right is the throwing bearing.

Does it just replace the stock one alredy on there?? (its very diffrent than the fx400 one) Stock one has little rubber teeth on the inside,

Polski
01-22-2011, 05:54 PM
anyone??

walky_talky20
01-22-2011, 07:50 PM
I think you need to pry on that sucker a bit to get it off (the rear main seal/flange). You may need your big pants for this. For the needle bearing (aka pilot bearing), there are a few methods. 1 is to use a small puller that is meant for this. The other is to use the grease and dowel method. You fill it with a thick grease then get a dowel that just fits inside the bearing and pound it out. The dowel will push on the grease, but the grease cannot compress, so it pushes the bearing out. This is a generic method for lots of different cars so you can find more details on the internet.

Polski
01-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks walky,
I initially tried prying at it...but did not want to apply too much force in case something were to bend. Now i'll just go pry-mania on it.
For the pilot bearing, I searched the method you mentioned above, seems to work for a lot of people. I'll try that.

Any idea as to where the rear output shaft seal goes? ( I went through the bentley's pages about 15 times)
Same with the throw out bearing, I know it goes on the input shaft, but do I remove the release bearing? Or just slide it after it?

Thanks for the info so far guys. I'm sorry for all the questions, its just that im so close to putting everything back, that forcing some suborn seal with out consulting a veteran could lead to unnecessary problems.

walky_talky20
01-22-2011, 09:59 PM
The rear main seal will require a little prying from all sides, but shouldn't be anything ridiculous. I can't imagine you could hurt anything, though. Other than the seal/flange itself.

The rear output shaft seal is for the transmission. It is the seal where the rear flange is, for the rear driveshaft.

Throwout bearing is a replacement item. You take off your old one and put the new one in. Just pop off the clutch fork, slide it out, swap out the bearing, and slide it back on, clipping the fork pivot back into place. You should also grease the input shaft collar where the throwout bearing slides to help with clutch feel. Also grease the fork pivot.

Polski
01-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Am I looking at the right picture for the throwout bearing? I feel very dumb at this point.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2dsg3d0.jpg

sweets4style
01-22-2011, 11:27 PM
number 5 in that picture is the shaft seal you asked about by the way.

Polski
01-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Number 5 is an O-ring, number 6 is the input shaft seal.
I was asking about the rear output shaft seal.
Walky already answered all of the questions...true knowledge veteran!

Polski
01-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I did some extra searching about the throwout bearing, is it directly attached to the fork From the rear??
Because behind the fork there is only a guider (#7)

http://i56.tinypic.com/2dsg3d0.jpg

walky_talky20
01-23-2011, 10:31 AM
It clips on the fork from the front. You'll see how it works when you take it off. It's pretty simple.

To label the above diagram:

1 - Transmission
2 - Clutch Fork Pivot pin
3 - Intermediate Piece for fork pivot
4 - Dished Washer (rounded side faces out, toward guide sleeve)
5 - O-ring for guide sleeve
6 - Input shaft seal
7 - Guide Sleeve
8 - Retaining Spring for clutch fork
9 - Clutch Fork (aka release lever)
10 - Torx bolt (always replace, 26ft/lbs)
11 - Throwout bearing (aka release bearing)
12 - Bolt
13 - Clutch slave cylinder
14 - Plunger

walky_talky20
01-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Here is a photo of the rear of the 5-speed manual trans. #15 is the rear output shaft seal.http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/walky_talky20/01A-rearoutput.jpg

Polski
01-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the pointers walky,
the throwout bearing was so simple to swap once I realized what it actually was (it can be confusing when a part has several names such as release bearing and throwout bearing)
My original one was different also, which lead to my confusion. It was made of two detached pieces....thats why when I saw the new one piece I had no idea what it was.

My car is at a garage 15km from where I live, thats why it took a while before i could take the thread info and apply it to the car.
Also, I realized that the electronic version of the manual is much more detailed, with lots of pictures, depending on the book itself can be tricky.

Thanks again walky for solving and answering all of my questions.