PDA

View Full Version : She finally runs. But has a slight tap.

99a4wagon
01-21-2011, 06:54 PM
She finally runs it was the stupid speed sensor.[headbang] Ok she is running but has a slight tap. To me it sounds like valve tap. But I don't know how long the motor has been sitting. I put fresh oil in her and she ran at idle for about 15 min still with the tap. Could it be off a tooth on timing or would a tooth off be catastrophic. Also my car was off the "half tooth" does it matter if its before the mark or after it.

black99.5a4
01-21-2011, 06:59 PM
half-ish is about normal.. a full tooth will bend valves.

lifts in our heads are none to go bad, especially when they sit for long periods.

walky_talky20
01-21-2011, 07:20 PM
If it is just a slight tap I wouldn't worry about it for now. Drive it a bit a get it warmed and cooled a few times to see if it settles in. What weight oil are you running?

Yes the timing matters. Generally when they are off slightly, the mark on the sprocket is slightly ahead of the mark on the Valve Cover. So the cam will be slightly advanced. You can imagine that as the belt stretches slightly as normal wear, the timing will correct itself to become closer to perfect. Again, I'd drive it a bit, then pop the top cover off and check it again later. 1 tooth off in either direction will not bend valves, in fact the engine will run, but it will likely throw timing codes.

99a4wagon
01-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks guys ill drive it a little bit.

5-30 i think. I put crappy oil in just to get the old shit out. Then im gonna changte it in a few weeks.

ThatA4T
01-22-2011, 09:40 AM
full synthetic?

99a4wagon
01-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Naw I think it was semi. But the tap went away but I have many other issues.