PDA

View Full Version : .... oil sludge.... :(

barrys1.8t
01-20-2011, 09:07 AM
I just purchased my 98 a4 1.8t 5spd quattro abt 5 months ago. i have the carfax and it says it was a lease vehicle for the first 60k miles. it has no info on the second owner, i just know it was an elderly woman, and i am the third owner. i bought my car with only 77k on it and have done some general maintnence on it, air filter, brakes, fuel filter, plugs... and i did my own oil change at 80k ...... i used the correct oil and large filter but dont have the recipt or anything. the other day while i was driving the red oil light came on and i pulled over. checked my oil and the level was fine but it seemed fairly dark for being only drivin for a little over 2000 miles. i just started it back up quick to see if it was still doing this... and my motor had already developed a knock. i work long days so it has been sitting in my driveway for almost a week. i have neither the time or money to deal with this. so.. i guess what im getting at is:

1: Do i tow it straight to the audi dealer? or Do i tow to a shop to be diagnosed? or does that even matter?
2: If it is an oil sludge problem, do you think there is a chance that AoA will cover the cost?
3: If it isnt an oil sludge problem, what should i do now? ( i know it doesnt help that i dont know exactly whats wrong with it ;yet but i will keep everyone posted)
4: Just in case its totally gone, does any one have a long block laying around?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
SORRY IF YOU HAVE ALL SEEN THIS A THOUSAND TIMES BUT I HAVE TO GET MY FRUSTRATION OUT AND LET EVERYONE KNOW THAT IM VERY UPSET.

rockcandy
01-20-2011, 09:42 AM
If you have service records go to the dealer and see what they will do. I'm pretty sure a 98 does not fall under the "sludge" problem on paper. If you have the ability, pull off some cam caps and inspect for wear (galling/scraping/burn marks). If there is no wear, you *may* be able to salvage the motor. I have seen sludge cars throw rods through the block on many occasions so if you have already spun a bearing on the crank...it's pretty much done. There are some things you can do at home if your handy that could fix it up but it depends on how much money you have to spend and to what extent you want to correctly repair the problem [:D]

barrys1.8t
01-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Shoot I didn't even know that. I am just so upset because I have no money right now and this my only mode of transportation!

rockcandy
01-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Shoot I didn't even know that. I am just so upset because I have no money right now and this my only mode of transportation!

Well, if your broke and you want a possible temporary solution...
Drain oil, unbolt oil level sensor from bottom of oil pan. Look up in the hole with a flashlight and find the oil pickup tube. Once you figure out where it is, get a long screwdriver and slam a hole through the pickup screen. That is where the restriction is anyway. Make sure its a good size hole. Wiggle the screwdriver around. I would NEVER recommend this to anyone unless you are desperate or had 0 cash and needed a ride. It will work though if you haven't spun a bearing yet...

barrys1.8t
01-21-2011, 04:41 AM
Screw it. I think its time to upgrade!