PDA

View Full Version : Just bought an a4, question about an engine swap...

Gumby
01-20-2011, 12:50 AM
Hey guys,

I just bought an 01' a4 with a couple bent rods. I was wondering how big of a deal it would be to drop an AEB into it? I found a place less then a half hour from my house that stocks brand new AEB, and AWM longblocks among other things, so I can get either.

I understand that AEB head swaps are common, but is there any problems i might run into with swaping in the entire engine? The only external difference I know of is the throttle body. So will I be ok if I just swap over the throttle body, wiring harness, etc?

Thanks,
-Matt

wildbill
01-20-2011, 01:33 AM
not worth it. harnesses arent cheap. an ecu...etc. just keep awm and then get an aeb head if you ever want to make power

awdjunkies
01-20-2011, 01:49 AM
Congrats Matt!! Welcome to the A4/AR crew [;)]

auh
01-20-2011, 07:43 AM
don't waste your time...Do an ABZ swap like some of the guys are doing in the build forum!

Gumby
01-20-2011, 10:25 AM
not worth it. harnesses arent cheap. an ecu...etc. just keep awm and then get an aeb head if you ever want to make power

ok, so i'm a little confused. what makes it worth while to do the head swap and not the bottom end? and why wouldn't it be doable if you reused the awm injectors, maf, throttle body, etc? is there a phyisical difference in the way the engine sits in the car, and/or where things are located.

like i said before i can get either engine for the same price brand new.

i'm not trying to be an ass, i'm just not very experienced in the 1.8t world.

Dynamite
01-20-2011, 12:35 PM
The engines sit in the same place in the car etc. the only issue I can see is that you would have to change to drive by cable and the whole ecu, harness, pedal assembly, maybe the cluster (easy enough done heaps for the head swaps) If you stick with the 01 ecu then there are a few differences, the injectors from the 01 wont fit into the AEB rail, the AEB head is not VVT, the AEB engine hasnt got some of the sensors that the AWM one has, but I cant remember what they are, other than that noting off the top of my head though there will be others. try find some of the drive by wire upgrade threads they will give you an idea about what needs to be changed going in the other direction.
possibly look at going standalone if you are doing all that anyway and have big power goals?
Hopefully someone that has a better idea can chime in.

NeedingAnAudi
01-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Honestly the only real benefit of the AEB is the head, and possibly the drive by cable, both of which can be fitted to a newer engine. If you can get the same engine just go with that. Or, you could just strip down the current engine and put some rods and pistons in now, then when the bt bug comes round you already have the bottom end.

Haenszel20v
01-20-2011, 12:45 PM
C'mon guys.

01 is an internal waterpump car, AEB is external waterpump. Which means, all the pulleys, AC, alternator, bracketry, coolant soft lines, coolant hard lines, mounting brackets etc are all different.

its not an issue using an AWM harness on an AEB, but if I were in your shoes I'd go get a AWM lockblock and just drop it in and be done with it. You are nowhere near needing the additional flow capabilities of an AEB head, let alone going through the pain in the ass of collecting all the parts to make an AEB block work in your car.

NeedingAnAudi
01-20-2011, 12:49 PM
^^Hey, not all of us change our engines every week.... [:p]

wildbill
01-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Honestly the only real benefit of the AEB is the head, and possibly the drive by cable, both of which can be fitted to a newer engine. If you can get the same engine just go with that. Or, you could just strip down the current engine and put some rods and pistons in now, then when the bt bug comes round you already have the bottom end.exactly. the head is the only bene. you can buy aeb pistons and wristpins and grab rods and put that all in your current bottom. no point in the other stuff unless you love the DBC (like me). aeb pistons can take a little more and have bigger wristpins, the head can handle more. the block is the same. buy rods...pistons, and you wont need to do shit else

Gumby
01-20-2011, 01:57 PM
C'mon guys.

01 is an internal waterpump car, AEB is external waterpump. Which means, all the pulleys, AC, alternator, bracketry, coolant soft lines, coolant hard lines, mounting brackets etc are all different.

its not an issue using an AWM harness on an AEB, but if I were in your shoes I'd go get a AWM lockblock and just drop it in and be done with it. You are nowhere near needing the additional flow capabilities of an AEB head, let alone going through the pain in the ass of collecting all the parts to make an AEB block work in your car.

this is what i was looking for, thanks for the info. looks like i'll be going with another awm.

exactly. the head is the only bene. you can buy aeb pistons and wristpins and grab rods and put that all in your current bottom. no point in the other stuff unless you love the DBC (like me). aeb pistons can take a little more and have bigger wristpins, the head can handle more. the block is the same. buy rods...pistons, and you wont need to do shit else

good info. and again, thank you.

the whole purpose of me buying this car is to build something i can strip and build up for some weekend track duty. i'll for sure be going the BT route once i feel confident enough in my knowledge of the 1.8t. i'll defenitly be making a build thread of some sorts for you guys to follow,