PDA

View Full Version : question about side mirrors

auh
01-18-2011, 09:36 PM
If not all cars come with heated mirrors, why do they all have a metal ring with 2 wires coming out of them?

walky_talky20
01-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Pretty sure they all have heated mirrors. Unless the glass is aftermarket. I could be wrong, but I'm like 90% sure.

auh
01-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Good to know, I need new glass...holy browning!!!!

Now to figure out why the drivers side is 55 bucks and the passenger side, which on my car is half the size as the drivers side, cost 3x as much! Almost $160!!!!!

walky_talky20
01-18-2011, 10:20 PM
I would recommend you go to a place a that will just cut you some new mirror glass. They will cut it out in the same shape and just glue it over you old stuff. It's a much cheaper way to go.

Or you can cruise ebay. Sometimes you can even buy the pre-cut stick-on glass like the glass shop would make.

auh
01-18-2011, 10:21 PM
nah, I want to stay heated!

walky_talky20
01-19-2011, 10:16 AM
I have the heated "anti-dazzle" mirrors. One of them went bad (cloudy from the oil leaking out) and I didn't want to give up the dimming feature (or the heat). $300 for the piece of glass was not happening. So I went to ebay and bought an entire outer mirror housing with the anti-dazzle glass for less than the price of even the regular heated glass. So you might look into that. But with the blue-tinted glass, the age of the glass matters a bit because they tend to oxidize under the glass (brown spots).