PDA

View Full Version : Misfire of death!!

B5RiceEater
01-17-2011, 01:37 PM
my b5's really pissin me off lol, i've had this cylinder 1 misfire for the longest and its only getting worst. i have replaced coil packs and spark plugs with genuine audi parts, changed the coil connectors as we/ll... and still a misfire...has any1 ever experienced the ecm being the culprit? is it in deed true that it controls the firing? how much would a replacement cost from dealer vs forums , history on ecm's ect...also i have an 2001 1.8 AWM, no icm. how would i go about fixing this without taking it to the stealership and paying $1500

somebody5788
01-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Maybe injector? just sayin...

ECS Tuning-Audi
01-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Maybe injector? just sayin...

+1 Swap your injectors around and see if it moves - or try some injector cleaner. If it turns out to be the injector, you're looking at about $130, and we have them right here (http://www.ecstuning.com/ES251626/?salesrep=PWinegardner&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=PWinegardner&utm_campaign=postreply).

B5RiceEater
01-17-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't know if its the injectors because the fuel is burning in the cat..

adam.wilber
01-17-2011, 06:04 PM
1. Check for spark. Put a plug in the coil pack, ground the plug to the motor, and have someone crank it a few times. If you have spark move to step 2.
2. IF you are sure you're getting fuel to the cylinder, check for compression issues. You should be able to rent a compression tester from like autozone for cheap. I'm not sure what the specs are supposed to be for the car, but I've heard something around 200psi at tdc.

Fender0122
01-21-2011, 08:27 AM
I've been chasing a cyl 1 misfire for a while and it ended up being bad plugs--I used NGK BKR6E gapped at factory .032--theyre copper, so they wont last much longer than 3-5K miles but at $8 its worth a try--also, try to find a friendly local that wouldnt mind swapping out their ICM so you can eliminate that problem--try swapping the whole airbox so you can eliminate the mass airflow as well

dex954
01-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Try some dielectric grease and make the gap a tiny bit smaller. Have you check compression in that cylinder? I have been trying to pick up some bkr6e for a little while now. Supposedly NGK is no longer selling them to stores.

ECS Tuning-Audi
01-25-2011, 06:15 AM
Try some dielectric grease and make the gap a tiny bit smaller. Have you check compression in that cylinder? I have been trying to pick up some bkr6e for a little while now. Supposedly NGK is no longer selling them to stores.

As of our last order (a month ago) we could still order copper NGK BKR6E's - click here (http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Bkr6e/?salesrep=PWinegardner&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=PWinegardner&utm_campaign=postreply).

@OP - Did you check the gap on your new plugs? It's worth trying some different gaps even if they are correctly gapped at 0.032, try stepping down to .03 and then .028 until you get something that works. You may want to try fresh bkr7e's and a proper gap.