PDA

View Full Version : stumped. heat problems

champion
01-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Hello everyone. Theres this guys selling a car that I want to go look at, but he says the heat only works sometimes. He brought it to his mechanic and the mechanic said its not the heater core, but some type of flap thingy inside the dash, I guess somewhere inside the venting system. The mechanic told him what it was, but the guy selling it has a hard time explaining it to me because he barely speaks english[:/] Does anyone have a clue what this might be? I kinda would like to know what it is so I know what the cost is to fix if when negotiating a price for the vehicle. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

champion
01-16-2011, 08:41 AM
okay, i kinda figured out what he was trying to say...lol..its the air control flapper motor. Where is that located? Is it under the dash near the heater core? That would be a pain in the ass

walky_talky20
01-16-2011, 10:56 AM
There are a few different flap motors in the dash:

V71 - Air Flow Flap motor
V68 - Temperature Regulator Flap Motor
V70 - Central Air Flap Motor
V85 - Footwell/Defroster Flap Motor

It sounds like you might have a problem with the temperature flap (V68), but you would need to figure out what motor or flap is actually broken/stuck and fix it. The HVAC system should throw very specific codes for these failures. You can even read out the codes without a scan tool (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/int5.shtml)

These motors aren't too terrible to get at:
V71 - Remove glove box only
V68 - Remove front section of center console
V70 - same as V68
V85 - Remove driver's knee bolster

champion
01-16-2011, 11:04 AM
tnx, i will let the guy know and ask him to do the scan.appreciate the help

Mantis
01-16-2011, 11:29 AM
walky_talky is always a wealth of info, I just wonder about the diagnosis, hope a scan reveals it is something simpler than pulling a heater core

champion
01-16-2011, 11:31 AM
walky_talky is always a wealth of info, I just wonder about the diagnosis, hope a scan reveals it is something simpler than pulling a heater core

me too. just waiting for the non-english speakin guy to het back to me...lol

champion
01-16-2011, 06:21 PM
okay' this is what the guy said the codes were, i cant seem to figure out most of them.
anyone have any insight as to what these mean??

Mantis
01-16-2011, 06:32 PM
What the hell does that mean, those don't look like any codes I have ever pulled, looks like this car is super farked (it can't even get its codes straight)

champion
01-16-2011, 06:33 PM
^^idk, I have no clue. Thats the #s that he texted me with...LOL

champion
01-16-2011, 06:36 PM
heres his exact text message to me: "okay the codes are:0.0;188;174;152;10;100;16;218 thats all i found in the system"

WTF[confused]

walky_talky20
01-16-2011, 08:41 PM
Methinks he did it wrong, but he did give you 1 piece of usable info which is code 0.0. That means there is no fault codes. So basically, that doesn't tell you much. If there was a malfunctioning flap motor, I would think it would surely set a code like this:

08.7 (Temperature Regulator Flap, sporadic block)

In this case, it would seem that it could be a heater core issue. Generally when the heater core isn't working that great, you get lousy or no heat pretty much all the time. Sometimes you'll get more heat when you rev the engine or while driving, and almost zero heat at idle. That is because the flow through the core is so obstructed it needs more force from the pump to get through.

If the heat is amazing sometimes and gone some other times (not related to engine rpm), it would seem to be a problem with flaps or the HVAC control head or something, not the core. The actual heat symptoms aren't described in much detail, so that's all I can say with the info given.

In any case, a lot of times heater core issues can often be fixed just by flushing it out. Especially if it is still somewhat working. Also, the flap motors aren't too awful bad to get at if need be. I guess I would use this mystery problem as a bargaining device to get the price down, perhaps. Make sure you get it low enough that you can afford to fix it.

champion
01-16-2011, 08:46 PM
the guy says all the vents will blow cold when the heat is on(windshield, feet, and main dash vents) The coolant lines that run into the cabin that go to the heater core get warm too. so possibly the heater core?

and what about code 10?

walky_talky20
01-16-2011, 09:26 PM
If both lines to the heater core are hot, that would point to a mix flap problem, not a heater core problem. The values you gave there seem to be just the first 9 digital readout values for the sensors. They don't mean much by themselves.

champion
01-16-2011, 09:27 PM
If both lines to the heater core are hot, that would point to a mix flap problem, not a heater core problem. The values you gave there seem to be just the first 9 digital readout values for the sensors. They don't mean much by themselves.

where exactly is the mix flap?

champion
01-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Okay, there are 3 mix flaps in the dash, all with the same part #(8D1 820 511 B). How would I know which one it is?