PDA

View Full Version : Pressure plate bolt rounded off on inside.

Polski
01-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Hey guys,

I need some help, I removed four of the six 6mm allen bolts that hold the pressure plate in.
Two of them rounded off on the inside. Those bolts are literally baked onto the pressure plate.

So far, I tried:

Pounding in a bigger allen bolt into it ==> re-stripped even more.
Pounding in a torc bolt, T-40 too small, T-45 too big
Using an impact wrench. ==> more strip
Using a flat screw driver, creating a grove and hammering the side counter-clockwise. Wont budge (Not to mention that the pressure plate has movement that absorbs the impact, no matter how I tried to block it)

What I have not tried (mainly because I think they will fail) :
- Vice grips (space is tight, probably will slide before bolt gives out)
- Extractor bit (will just strip it the other way)
- Creating a grove deep/long enough to use a flat screwdriver sideways. (slip out and/or deform the groves)

I soaked them in PB blaster for now, until someone can open up my eyes to a method I am overseeing.
Would be sad to give up this far into the clutch job.

Thanks

{PMS}fishy
01-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Weld a nut to it. Remove with appropriate socket.

thenj3
01-15-2011, 06:45 PM
same thing happened to me when i did mine. i was lucky and got one with pounding in a bigger sized allen, and with the other i did the screw driver and knocked it loose. it took awhile but i got it. good luck man.

Polski
01-15-2011, 06:46 PM
fishy, I dont have a welder.

Thenj3, Thanks for the luck, will need it.

Anyone else that can shime in would be great.

belittle
01-15-2011, 07:14 PM
These guys will do the job:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Irwin-5-pcs-3-8-in-drive-Bolt-Grip-expansion-extractor-set-for-5-16-11-16-and-3-4-in-or-8-10-13-and-19-mm-bolts/_/N-25qe;jsessionid=97C82A0272D3A13A2A8AE62D569CC67F.d iyprod2-b2c12?counter=6&itemIdentifier=532381_0_0_

Have to use them just about everyday.

Polski
01-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Aren't those for hex bolts only?
Not sure if those would grab the outer round diameter of an allen bolt..(unless hammered in somehow?)

Polski
01-15-2011, 07:57 PM
I will try using a propane torch on it tomorrow, then use a chisel instead of a flat screwdriver.

Worst case, I will drill the whole bolt out...not keeping that pressure plate anyways right?

RENOxDECEPTION
01-06-2013, 11:36 PM
I know this is an old ass thread, but I've been solving this problem by drilling out the bolt heads, the flywheel is trashed anyway so it doesn't matter, you can get it down to the point where you're past the pressure plate inside and just use a huge flathead screwdrive to break off the allen, or a hammer.

robinbrown219
01-07-2013, 05:10 AM
i was lucky and got one with pounding in a bigger sized allen, and with the other i did the screw driver and knocked it loose. it took awhile but i got it. good luck manhttp://www.edu123.me/gu.jpghttp://www.edu123.me/hg.jpghttp://www.edu123.me/dh.jpghttp://www.edu123.me/s5.jpghttp://www.edu123.me/ht.jpg

Mad Cow
01-07-2013, 07:20 AM
I know this is an old ass thread, but I've been solving this problem by drilling out the bolt heads, the flywheel is trashed anyway so it doesn't matter, you can get it down to the point where you're past the pressure plate inside and just use a huge flathead screwdrive to break off the allen, or a hammer.

Another good way is to cut a slot with a dremel and use a flat screwdriver bit with an impact wrench, once the cut goes past the bottom of the bolt head the bolt comes right out no problem. I took out 4 bolts in a couple of minutes.

ElliottG
01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
This is why I despise allen bolts...I don't know who invented them but they are literally the worst bolts I have ever witnessed on a car...especially for cars in the salt belt.

Artiemas
01-07-2013, 10:24 AM
My girlfriend's Dad makes fun of my car (He's a mechanic) because of the fact that that these cars have tons of allen bolts, and not your average DIYer has the socket for them, but instead just the regular "L" wrenches.

ricekikr
01-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Hey guys,
Wont budge (Not to mention that the pressure plate has movement that absorbs the impact, no matter how I tried to block it)

Heat + hammer impact drive tool. (an air impact wrench would work a lot better though)

To stop flywheel from spinning I usually use the 19mm bolt on the crank. (Just mark it first, to make sure it doesn't loosen. It never loosened on me).

Hammer impact driver tool (but the cheap ones only last being used a few times)
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/hand-impact_s.jpg

Mad Cow
01-08-2013, 08:45 AM
This is why I despise allen bolts...I don't know who invented them but they are literally the worst bolts I have ever witnessed on a car...especially for cars in the salt belt.

There's nothing wrong with allen bolts, what people don't seem to realize is you have to pound the bit in if there's even a trace of rust or grease inside. I would say close to 90% of the allen bolts I've stripped were because the bit wasn't in fully. Sometimes you have to scrape the crap out with something beforehand, but always check to see if the bit is fully seated before touching it.

Nollywood
01-08-2013, 09:22 AM
With stripped allen bolts, I pound a regular 12-point socket onto it, and undo it with a ratchet. Always works. I had the same issue on my driveshaft-to-rear differential. 4 came off fine, the remaining 2 were wasted, absolutely trashed.

I banged on a 12mm 12-point socket, and wound them off with a ratchet. No problems.

RENOxDECEPTION
01-08-2013, 11:36 AM
There's nothing wrong with allen bolts, what people don't seem to realize is you have to pound the bit in if there's even a trace of rust or grease inside. I would say close to 90% of the allen bolts I've stripped were because the bit wasn't in fully. Sometimes you have to scrape the crap out with something beforehand, but always check to see if the bit is fully seated before touching it.

I used a hammer, I hammered the fuck out of the allen socket before turning any of them, they all stripped :(

With stripped allen bolts, I pound a regular 12-point socket onto it, and undo it with a ratchet. Always works. I had the same issue on my driveshaft-to-rear differential. 4 came of fine, the remaining 2 were wasted, absolutely trashed.

I banged on a 12mm 12-point socket, and wound them off with a ratchet. No problems.

Didn't even think about using a 12 point on it, i bet that would have worked! haha

malanca
01-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Agreed. Allen bolts suck for high strength applications, especially then when thread-locked. I destroyed all 6 of them on the rear driveshaft; I put in 12.9 Torx instead. I finally got the old ones out by heating up with a heat-gun and turn them out with a pipe plier.

walky_talky20
01-08-2013, 01:34 PM
A good trick to use is to hit them on the side of the head with a hammer and chisel. Give each bolt a few good whacks before you even *try* to turn it with the allen. Beating it on the side applies a slight stretch to the bolt, thus loosening it a bit before you even touch it. This is a major help on the driveshaft bolts.

RENOxDECEPTION
01-08-2013, 02:21 PM
I got lucky and the driveshaft bolts came off no problem, but the driveshaft itself was rusted to the rear diff, had to use a hammer to knock it off, then the bearings came out and it was a nightmare repacking them! haha got it all squared away though, i bet the repacking did it some good.