PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Cams out of time!

snoozer33
01-12-2011, 06:20 PM
I have done a t-belt before on a 1.8t, now I am doing my first on the 2.8. After removing the t-belt on the 2.8, I noticed a lot of leaks from the passenger side bank and decided a valve cover gasket and cam tensioner gasket need to be done. After getting everything set to TDC and marking the cam chain, I realized I forgot to remove to cam position sensor. Whne I went to remove the bolt, the both cams turned and jumped to their next positions. How do I get it back to tdc on the cams? Is it as simple as continuing to turn the cams until the marks on the cams line up with the marks on the caps again? I'm new to this engine. Thanks!

brettj20
01-12-2011, 06:30 PM
You should buy a manual, all that info would be in there, but if its still in TDC then yes you should be able to turn the cams back where you had them.

snoozer33
01-12-2011, 07:08 PM
I have a Bentley, but I couldn't find where that info was. The crank is still in TDC and the drivers side cams are in proper position still. Should I rotate the cams while they are still in the head, or line them back up when I remove the cams and chain tensioner when I replace the tensioner gaskets?

walky_talky20
01-12-2011, 08:22 PM
I would recommend you not remove the cams or tensioner to change the gasket. Just compress the tensioner, remove it's bolts, and slide out the gasket and semi-circle plug. Clean surfaces by spraying with brake clean/compressed air, and slide in the new gasket/plug. No need to remove the cams.

I'd leave the cams where they are for now, then turn them back to their TDC position after you're done with the gaskets.

If you really want to remove the tensioner to do it's gasket, you only need to remove the intake cam, not the exhaust cam.

brettj20
01-12-2011, 10:40 PM
x2^